Canadian Money Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why is there no forum discussion around Insurance? It's an essential part of any sound Financial Plan. Ask any FA worth a grain of salt...

·
Registered
80 Posts
insurance

I tihnk the answer will always be "buy term", and when possible "buy it early", and make sure you have enough. Other than that, what's to discuss?

·
Registered
5,464 Posts
How about: the role of disability and life insurance as a hedge against your human capital value, and how to calculate the declining value of your human capital, and thus your declining need for life insurance (really death insurance) and disability insurance as you age and convert more of your human capital to financial capital?

What about the role of insurance companies in retirement income planning, particularly in providing longevity insurance through hybrid financial products?

What about a discussion of which risks to self-insure, and which risks to transfer to an insurer, and when and how you'd know the difference?

Or even: what is the actual difference between whole, universal, permanent, term-to-100, and term insurance? What is "convertible" insurance? What is "renewable" insurance? How does your health status determine your rates? What is rated insurance? What are life tables and how can I see some?

There are tons of things to think and talk about in the world of risk management. I'd love a forum dedicated to this. :)

·
Registered
222 Posts
Why is there no forum discussion around Insurance? It's an essential part of any sound Financial Plan. Ask any FA worth a grain of salt...
I dunno, I suspect that most Canadians have various forms of insurance provided through their work benefits.

My coverage is pretty decent, I don't pay much for it, and so it isn't really something that I've thought much about.

K.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts