Canadian Money Forum banner

141 - 151 of 151 Posts

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
Exactly it's the exchange not the underlying currency. Crytpo 101 is don't leave large quantities of digital currency on an exchange account

What do you think about ethereum and others? Personally I'm not interested in bitcoin but most here still think bitcoin is the only digital currency
Ethereum is interesting, but it isn't scaling.
https://beincrypto.com/ethereum-founders-admit-never-designed-scalability/

I do think the idea of smart contracts is interesting, but I don't see how they'll work in practice.
Lets say we have a crypto contract, what happens when we one party says the agreed act took place, and another says it didn't. You still need some sort of trusted third party to make the determination.
Then it's a simple escrow service.

Bitcoin gets all the attention, but I think the interesting stuff is in other coins.

Zcash & Monero are very interesting as they're an actual fungible currency. ie they can't be tracked.
I also think Monero and it's plan to be ASIC resistant is interesting.

Iota has a lot of neat ideas, but I don't think it has traction.

Overall I think the future should be a private blockchain, but I can't imagine the authorities will be okay with that. They really really don't like having a money supply they can't monitor and track.
Think of how much they have fought widespread crypto, and the current talk about encrypted DNS.

They really don't want people to move money secretly and freely. Why do you think they have declaration rules with how much cash you can carry into a country.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Regarding the Cotten mystery, I think the key lies with his wife. If he is still alive enjoying the proceeds of his scheme somewhere nice, she most likely knows about it. If Cotten is dead, given the ambiguous nature of his death, it is possible someone took care of him. His wife possibly has some clues.

·
Registered
16,674 Posts
I predict that (a) there will be a movie, and (b) she ends up in prison

I hesitated writing that because I don't want to be insensitive if she really did lose her husband

·
Registered
12,538 Posts
I don't know that any law enforcement force cares enough about this scam to devote a lot of time and money towards it.

White collar crime is the easiest to get away with it. Low level criminals get caught and punished.

High level criminals become respected wealthy people and Presidents of the United States.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Looks like there is a request out there to exhume him.

https://ca.yahoo.com/finance/news/lawyers-for-victims-of-the-quadriga-cx-fiasco-ask-to-dig-up-dead-ceos-body-193417663.html

In a letter to the RCMP, law firm Miller Thomson asked to have the body exhumed because of it’s clients’ large financial losses and uncertainty around Cotten’s death which “in our view, further highlight the need for certainty around the question to whether Mr. Cotten is in fact deceased.”
A first step.

·
Registered
16,674 Posts
A first step.
Yes, this is probably worth doing.

I don't know that any law enforcement force cares enough about this scam to devote a lot of time and money towards it.

White collar crime is the easiest to get away with it. Low level criminals get caught and punished.

High level criminals become respected wealthy people and Presidents of the United States.
Yes exactly. Trump is a professional crook and con man with a long history of scams and shady business deals.

And many Americans think highly of him.

·
Registered
16,674 Posts
The OSC published its findings on QuadrigaCX

The findings show that Cotten essentially operated a Ponzi scheme. He opened accounts under aliases and credited himself with fictitious currency and crypto asset balances, which he traded with unsuspecting Quadriga clients, according to the OSC. Cotten sustained real losses when the price of crypto assets changed, thereby creating a shortfall in assets available to satisfy client withdrawals. He covered this shortfall with other clients’ deposits. OSC staff calculated that the bulk of the C$169 million in client losses – approximately C$115 million – arose from Cotten’s fraudulent trading.

Staff also determined that Cotten misappropriated millions in client assets to fund his lavish lifestyle.

·
Registered
10,102 Posts
The price of shady, unregulated, poorly supervised businesses..... There seems to be one of these every few years. Money is the root of many evils.

·
Registered
16,674 Posts
The price of shady, unregulated, poorly supervised businesses..... There seems to be one of these every few years. Money is the root of many evils.
This is a big reason I am happy with the big bank brokerages and the boring investments I hold within them... any of the big 5's brokerages have tons of regulation and checks and balances.

Am I missing out on some amazing other opportunities? Maybe, but I'll let others explore those and have fun with them.

141 - 151 of 151 Posts