Canadian Money Forum banner
1341 - 1360 of 1579 Posts

·
Registered
19,970 Posts
Actually, they were ahead of their times with mail order shopping. In fact, people could buy an auto or a house through the Eaton's catalogue.

Eatonia, Saskatchewan is named after Eatons and still has a home ordered by catalogue from Eatons on display as a museum.

Plant Sky Building Window House

·
Registered
24,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,342 ·
Could be Coinbase (COIN) was a scam too... going IPO during the peak mania.

If you count the peak price as $430 on its first day of trading (IPO mega hype), the COIN share price is down 89%

Good job to these guys for recreating the dot-com bubble experience. I also think it's hilarious that Cathie Wood first ruined her dot-com investors (21 years ago), and then found a fresh batch of suckers willing to follow her again!

·
Registered
11,878 Posts

If you count the peak price as $430 on its first day of trading (IPO mega hype), the COIN share price is down 89%

Good job to these guys for recreating the dot-com bubble experience. I also think it's hilarious that Cathie Wood first ruined her dot-com investors (21 years ago), and then found a fresh batch of suckers willing to follow her again!
The thing is, just like the dot-com boom, there is real technological advancement and innovation happening.

Lots of scams during dotcom, lots of scams in crypto.

But there are some good ideas out there, they're just hard to find.

·
Registered
11,878 Posts
The thing is, just like the dot-com boom, there is real technological advancement and innovation happening.

Lots of scams during dotcom, lots of scams in crypto.

But there are some good ideas out there, they're just hard to find.
By hard to find, I mean finding a way to make money.
For those who have the right problem, blockchains are great solutions.

·
Registered
19,970 Posts
Ftx walks away from Celsius.

Celsius, 3 arrows capital , coin flex and more all going to liquidate.

Billions lost to investors…..savings, retirements, houses, gone due to massive leverage.

Many investigations already underway.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
After the success of LVTS, I suspect that Lynx will eventually embrace blockchain. It might be a part of an international solution.
Here is an excellent and example of how blockchain can improve the current system. It is a simple enough example for almost anyone to follow. This acts as a reminder that inventions and utilizations can serve a greater purpose other than speculative investment. There is always speculation in the start up early adoption phase. With more attention comes more speculation until scammers see opportunity. Then massive destruction for those entities that have no value. The survivors then become the industry leaders. Has happened repeatedly with innovation throughout history.

·
Registered
19,970 Posts
Neither bitcoins and any of the other 20,000 tokens are beneficial or necessary to build a blockchain...........as Walmart has already done.

That is what the promoters and pumpers of 20,000 tokens fail to understand.

Unless tokens are needed to pay transaction costs on a blockchain.......what value do tokens have ?

No value apparently to Walmart.

·
Registered
11,878 Posts
Yeah, but the summary is lacking. some details.
For example this quote suggests that it might be a security problem.
""According to Trail of Bits, ViaBTC, a leading global mining pool, assigns the password “123” to its accounts. Pooling, another mining organization, does not even validate credentials at all, and Slushpool—which has mined more than 1.2 million Bitcoin since 2010—instructs users to ignore the password field. ""

But really it isn't.
There is no security problem with other people giving you credit for their work.

Also people talk about "market cap" like that actually represents the real value.
The flaw of the latest trade * all available shares = value of the company is useful, but it doesn't really mean what people think it does.

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
Why not directly point to the report itself? https://assets-global.website-files...ended_Centralities_in_Distributed_Ledgers.pdf
Page 8 is of interest because it points out the possibility that Bitcoin could be compromised by taking over 4 of the largest mining pools. Not likely going to happen unless you get state actors involved (ahem, China/Russia). Etherium is worse at 3. But there are other blockchains that are less susceptible, as on page 9. Other things in the report, but takes some time to read.

·
Registered
7,662 Posts

IPOs are often overpriced and I'm sure you are smarter to know that price is separate from fundamentals by now

Have you seen SHOP lately? Down about the same isn't it (I don't have my charts)

·
Registered
7,662 Posts
Why not directly point to the report itself? https://assets-global.website-files...ended_Centralities_in_Distributed_Ledgers.pdf
Page 8 is of interest because it points out the possibility that Bitcoin could be compromised by taking over 4 of the largest mining pools. Not likely going to happen unless you get state actors involved (ahem, China/Russia). Etherium is worse at 3. But there are other blockchains that are less susceptible, as on page 9. Other things in the report, but takes some time to read.
Wow somebody posted something that isn't clickbait from a random 6 month old blog? An actual report from this month even? I will actually read this when I have time thank you

Looking at page 9.. they conveniently failed to show the chain with the best nakamoto coefficient Cardano. They instead show all the VC funded chains.

This is a recurring theme as Cardano is almost never mentioned anywhere unless it is VC funded FUD. Most of those chains have major flaws I would only trust a few of them

·
Registered
19,970 Posts
Cardano (Ada token) has lost 66% of it's value in the last year. It has fallen from $3.60 in August 2021 to .58 cents today.

The IPO price was .14 cents, so achieving a 360% gain on a "penny stock" isn't unusual....since the starting point is so low.

I guess you could say it is one of the "least ugly" crypto in the space, although it would be premature since the decline in crypto isn't finished yet.

You claimed you made 6 figures profit on crypto, and then you say you sold it at the optimal time to preserve those gains.

It makes me wonder why you are pumping crypto if you have no confidence in it and already cashed out.

·
Registered
19,970 Posts
Cardano might be the most secure blockchain, which remains to be proven, but regardless there is no value use for tokens on a blockchain.

As per Warren Buffet's investment strategy on moats.....where is the moat around blockchain technology, since it is easy to replicate for private use ?

I think tokens for blockchains is like someone inventing a left handed shovel and claiming it is a "disruptive" new invention that left handed people must have.

Problem with that theory is that a shovel is a shovel is a shovel.

·
Registered
7,662 Posts
Cardano might be the most secure blockchain, which remains to be proven, but regardless there is no value use for tokens on a blockchain.

As per Warren Buffet's investment strategy on moats.....where is the moat around blockchain technology, since it is easy to replicate for private use ?

I think tokens for blockchains is like someone inventing a left handed shovel and claiming it is a "disruptive" new invention that left handed people must have.

Problem with that theory is that a shovel is a shovel is a shovel.
The token is required to pay for limited block space on a blockchain. The token incentivizes decentralization and security of the blockchain. Otherwise people can just DDOS and spam for free

You can not easily replicate a decentralized blockchain. Many have copied blockchain code but unless the nodes move to decentralize and secure it is pointless. Most of them fail because they didn't understand why things are the way they are. You should at least understand the very basics of things that you criticize. You have shown that you not only do not understand but also don't bother to learn or read.

Your concept of research is to google what you want to believe, click the clickbait and then post it here. Random old blogs and maintream media are designed to entertain and engage you just long enough to get eyes on ads won't teach you anything. Honestly you should really try signing up for one of many free online university courses you will learn how to do basic research. You clearly have time

There was a decent report posted by @bgc_fan which you obviously didn't read. It's probably VC funded and I haven't read it yet but it's much better than random blogs

·
Registered
7,662 Posts
MIT posts most of their courses online for free

You can even watch Gary Gensler's courses on blockchains. Albeit outdated by now

There's so much free education online people really need to stop consuming trash gossip blogs by random unemployed kids

1341 - 1360 of 1579 Posts