Canadian Money Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Banned
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just recieved a credit card offer from MBNA that offers an introductory rate of 0% for 15 months. I was wondering if it would be a good idea to apply for the card and use the money transfer som of my LOC debt on which I pay Prime + 1.5%. Or is this some kind of trap that will inevitably make money from you in other ways.

In the other fees section it states there is a 1% fee for transfers, cash advances etc. No annual fees.

Any advice appreciated.

·
Registered
249 Posts
That's deceiving. You are paying 1% for that, so the rate is not really 0%. This offer is meant to hook you up into a very high interest rate after 15 months. I would not take it.
If you take it, you need to be sure that at the end of the 15 months you will be able to transfer the balance back to LOC (or better to pay it off).

·
Banned
2,508 Posts
I am on my second 0% credit card offer. They have been circling around RFD for a few years. I love this offer! osc is correct, it's not really 0% because you pay a one time, up front, 1% transfer fee. So for $10G borrowed, you pay $100, one time. That's it. Where else can you borrow money this cheap?

On my first card, I invested the money, took the gains then paid it back in full, a few days before the 15 months was up.

My second card is being used to save interest costs on a debt when we bought our new car.

The key to this card is:
1. Paying the full amount back within 15 months
2. Making the minimum payment every month of 1%.
3. DO NOT go over you limit when transferring (include 1% transfer fee)

If you do not do the three things above, your interest rate will default to a very high interest rate and I believe they even back track on the interest, using the higher rate.

Some other things to note:

Your 15 months starts when they get your application. NOT when you receive the card. The card usually takes about 2-4 weeks to get. So you lose some time there.

Ideally you would want to max out the card (don't go over limit), but this could effect your credit score negatively, if your "overall" (all credit accounts) debt to available credit ratio is over 75%. 30% of your FICO score is calculated from this.

It's not harmful if you have lots of other available credit accounts.

To answer your question, only use it for your LOC if:
1. You can service the minimum payment; and,
2. You can pay the full balance off before 15 months.

Hope that helps :)

·
Banned
23 Posts
I am considering this option as well. At the end of my 15 months, can I pay off the balance, make another transfer to the card and start over with another 15 months. Or would I have to apply for a new card? Does anyone know the details on this?

·
Banned
2,508 Posts
Hey Brian123

Yes you could just pay the balance out at the end of 15 months. To get another offer, you have to re-apply again. Problem is, nobody knows if MBNA will keep doing this offer 15 months from now.

A few years ago, Citi financial had this offer. But they stopped it now.

The best way to use these cards is just to save interest costs on existing debt or invest in something guaranteed. . Don't get trapped into new debt and set up a plan to pay this one off!

·
Registered
281 Posts
I did this once back in the Uk - there seemed to be a lot of 0% cards going round.

My only concern is of tarnishing your credit rating by opening and closing a credit card. Any opinion on this?

·
Banned
2,508 Posts
I did this once back in the Uk - there seemed to be a lot of 0% cards going round.

My only concern is of tarnishing your credit rating by opening and closing a credit card. Any opinion on this?
You will get a hard hit on your credit rating when you first apply. Not a big deal. If you have a responsible credit score one small hit will be minor and will come back.

As for holding debt, as long as you have other available credit, (ie LOC, CC) that's not maxed out, you will be fine.

When it's done, MBNA does not close the credit card. Just pay it off in 15 months. After that, you can do one of two things and it doesn't affect the score:

1. Leave it in your drawer to collect dust, as closing credit accounts lowers your score. Just don't use it.

2. MBNA will allow you to split the available credit into new, MBNA credit cards (except 0% offer), WITHOUT a hard hit on your credit rating.

I used my old 0% CC credit and split it into a Shopper's Optimum, Smart Cash and Sony Mastercard. I still have the old 0% gold card, it sits in my safe.

·
Banned
23 Posts
Depending on how much credit I was approved for, lets supose 10,000. I could max it out, save me about $45/month on interest cost to put towards my other debt, which would again create another small saving on interest. Over 15 months, saving about $700.00. I think this would be worth a temporary hit on my credit score.

·
Banned
2,508 Posts
Depending on how much credit I was approved for, lets supose 10,000. I could max it out, save me about $45/month on interest cost to put towards my other debt, which would again create another small saving on interest. Over 15 months, saving about $700.00. I think this would be worth a temporary hit on my credit score.
Yes absolutely. That's a smart way of thinking and now saving money. Just don't start any new debt :)

·
Banned
26 Posts
Just ran the numbers on my personal LOC... 10k balance at 7%

700 per year in interest / 12 months = 58.00 per month in interest...

I think it works out the same so I'm eager to hear the answer to his post

EDIT - you answered before I even hit post... you're quick!

Thanks

·
Banned
2,508 Posts
Just keep in mind what you mentioned in the other thread. You mentioned you and your wife might be looking at upsizing to a bigger house. Banks do not like hanging credit card debt and wads of available credit, when applying for a new mortgage. If the bank tells you to consolidate the credit card debt into the new mortgage, that will defeat the whole purpose. Just throwing that out there, be sure you know what your doing in the next 15 months.

·
Banned
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You will get a hard hit on your credit rating when you first apply. Not a big deal. If you have a responsible credit score one small hit will be minor and will come back.

As for holding debt, as long as you have other available credit, (ie LOC, CC) that's not maxed out, you will be fine.

When it's done, MBNA does not close the credit card. Just pay it off in 15 months. After that, you can do one of two things and it doesn't affect the score:

1. Leave it in your drawer to collect dust, as closing credit accounts lowers your score. Just don't use it.

2. MBNA will allow you to split the available credit into new, MBNA credit cards (except 0% offer), WITHOUT a hard hit on your credit rating.

I used my old 0% CC credit and split it into a Shopper's Optimum, Smart Cash and Sony Mastercard. I still have the old 0% gold card, it sits in my safe.
Thanks for the responses....I'm not sure if I'll apply or not. The interest savings will be relatively minor considering the possible hassles that may be incurred.

I notice that you guys talk about your credit score...Is this something I should be thinking about even though I am in the process of reducing my LOC debt to zero in a few more months. It has a 50K limit and I have never defaulted on any loan or overly late on a pymt (other than a utility bill/phone than is inadvertantly missed and paid in full on the next billing cycle).

Thanks,
ROV

·
Banned
2,508 Posts
Thanks for the responses....I'm not sure if I'll apply or not. The interest savings will be relatively minor considering the possible hassles that may be incurred.

I notice that you guys talk about your credit score...Is this something I should be thinking about even though I am in the process of reducing my LOC debt to zero in a few more months. It has a 50K limit and I have never defaulted on any loan or overly late on a pymt (other than a utility bill/phone than is inadvertantly missed and paid in full on the next billing cycle).

Thanks,
ROV
YOu don't need to do anything about your score. Since you have never defaulted on a payment your score will be fine.

·
Banned
156 Posts
I'm about 8mths in on a 15mth 0% offer from MBNA. They gave me 10k, so I transferred over money from a 7% LOC onto it. One giant gotcha to watch for that I got stung with was that they're billing cycle is like 28days, So if you setup an automated bill payment from your bank to pay say $100 a month, eventually it'll screw you because the bill date becomes earlier and earlier every month. I ended up getting a like $360 interest charge and they dropped my 0% rate. After calling and asking nicely, they reinstated the 0% and dropped the interest charge to $100. I still am saving cash with it, but just make sure it gets paid! I ended up setting up a auto payment every 2 weeks of $100 so yes I was paying it off faster than I needed, but it'll always get paid before it's due.

·
Banned
1,241 Posts
How do you guys get these 0% offers? We have excellent credit, no debt (other than a cc balance which we pay off in full each month). We pay no interest other than $1 or $2 per year on our LOC so we can continue using it as a chequing account. Is it because we don't run a regular balance - does this prevent us from receiving the 0% offers perhaps?

·
Banned
156 Posts
How do you guys get these 0% offers? We have excellent credit, no debt (other than a cc balance which we pay off in full each month). We pay no interest other than $1 or $2 per year on our LOC so we can continue using it as a chequing account. Is it because we don't run a regular balance - does this prevent us from receiving the 0% offers perhaps?
We just get them in the mail. I was offered 0% and my wife was offered 1.99%. Both from MBNA. I'm not sure what criteria got us flagged to their mail list...

·
Registered
7,252 Posts
Folks go through great lengths to stop getting this junk in the mail, and you want it?
I think if you call the banks, credit card companies and institutions you have a relationship with and ask them to share your information with partners for promotion purposes, I'm sure they'll be more than happy to oblige.
Then...wait a couple months and the offers will come flooding in.

·
Banned
2,508 Posts
I'm about 8mths in on a 15mth 0% offer from MBNA. They gave me 10k, so I transferred over money from a 7% LOC onto it. One giant gotcha to watch for that I got stung with was that they're billing cycle is like 28days, So if you setup an automated bill payment from your bank to pay say $100 a month, eventually it'll screw you because the bill date becomes earlier and earlier every month. I ended up getting a like $360 interest charge and they dropped my 0% rate. After calling and asking nicely, they reinstated the 0% and dropped the interest charge to $100. I still am saving cash with it, but just make sure it gets paid! I ended up setting up a auto payment every 2 weeks of $100 so yes I was paying it off faster than I needed, but it'll always get paid before it's due.
WOW, they are so nice to let you have the 0% back. Good for you, like I said above, do not miss one payment. :)

·
Banned
2,508 Posts
There is a link on RFD where you can apply online. Not sure if Frugal will let me post it here. Just go to the Redflagdeals forum, search finance section, it's called MBNA 0% offer # 2.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts