Canadian Money Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This week it was 1 month past best before protein powders.
Looked up the items on Amazon, and the find was for more than $240 in products.
My two boys mix up smoothies using this sort of stuff every day.
So it was not like finding things we do not normally consume.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This weekend was a bit more mundane. A 4x5' piece of good 1 side plywood. Probably will go into set of shelves outside.
Last week I came up with an end roll of 2' of painted aluminum of the sort that siding guys use, about 18' long. That might end up make the roof of an outside shelf to store my junk that awaits its day at the scrap yard.

Found two sets of auto jumper cables with the clamps at the ends a bit rusty.
Even if dead worth more than $20 at the scrap yard for the copper wire in them.

The usual about $5 of empty cans and bottles.

One jumper set is 16' of #3, so I might try to krud cutter the rust off the clamps, then clean the copper pads up after that and make them my primary set.
Though at cars get smarter, the number of times batteries go flat seems less common than I was a wee one, but I still like to carry a set in the trunk in the winter time.

Then as always on Sunday morning the Saturday Globe, Star, Spec, Sun, NYT and Financial Post, good to wander through on a long weekend.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So Saturday afternoon in central Ontario a major damaging wind front moved ahead of and with the start of a line of strong thunder storms. At my place a limb of a Norway maple was broken off and landed on our glass top patio table. A ton of tempered glass bits to clean up as well as deal with the limb was a minor problem compared to what many in the area have to deal with. Death toll from the storm currently stands at 10..

In preparation I had gotten the patio umbrellas down, and chairs stacked, but had not moved the table in case a limb came down before the first heavy rains hit. I think it was the combined wet leaves and really strong wind that caused the branch to fail.

So the bent leg on the table could be straightened- the tube had not bent to far to have buckled.
Measured, and ideally I need a 43" round top.

Ten years ago a company brand was amalgamated and the polycarbonate panel that held that logo in the lobby was removed. I salvaged it from the dumpster and had it in my garage. I have made wire antenna end insulators by cutting parts from it in the past. Now I cut the 42" wide piece down to be 44" long, So it sorta fits. Square top on a round support, but hey.

Drill a hole for the umbrella pole, and propane torch dance along the cut edges to soften the sharp saw blade result.
Good enough to host pals at a Victoria Day back yard hang out and bbq dinner. Will look for a replacement table for long term while garage sailing later this summer.

The power fail that came after the storm showed me that ex ups that backs up the the router and DVR are pooched.

I had a spare smaller UPS that I had charged up about 3 months ago with a newer 12V battery that I was able to turn on and get only the router going. That and a laptop showed me only me and 15K of my neighbours were down, so I headed out across town to hang and watch the hockey playoffs.

Took a car battery I had found, and had sitting awaiting a trip to the scrap yard. and looked at it.
Pried the 'maintenance sealed' vent cover off. Most cells needed distilled added, so I topped them off. It was putting a no load 11.8V out, One side slightly bulged, so not a car starter any more, but maybe longer run UPS battery?

So once power back on I put it on a smart charger and it said partially discharged, not sulphated, and charged it. Holds 12.8V 24 hours later. Was rated 74Ah when new. The oem UPS battery is only 12Ah. I know I cannot run the UPS full tilt for a long time with this bigger battery - the power semiconductors will overheat. But this thing is old enough it ran backup for whole pc and crt display when it was new about 1988. So a small power load router likely will run a few hours with the car battery connected

So I adapted one paIr of jumper cables with #8 wire size I found on Saturday morning to hook up the car battery to the UPS. Cut off the crappy connection end battery clamps, and instead crimp on insulated sleeve male tab terminals to be compatible to mate with the female clip terms that normally connect to the UPS internal battery. I will charge the car battery separately since the UPS is set to charge SLA's, and wet cells need slightly different voltages to be float charged. Plus wet cells can vent hydrogen so best to charge them outside.

That's all the cheap creativity I have gotten done today with things at hand around the house.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So after last week's wind storm I have found wind damaged two patio umbrellas in the dumpsters I lurk around.
I brought them both home, and now have a fully working arrangement.

The good bits made a functioning support that swings the umbrella out to one side, dangling it from a boom. So I have positioned it to be able to reach out and cover about 3/4 of the hot tub. It needs a weighted base, but I had found one of those about 3 years ago awaiting the need to use it with this type of umbrella. In the summer an afternoon dip can be a bit much if the full bright sun is blasting down on you.

I also found a photocell controlled 12V garden light transformer, so now the walkway lights I curb salvaged a few weeks ago and have 90% installed now have an OEM supply, instead of what I was going to; adapt from other compatible power supplies I have.

It was neighborhood garage sale day yesterday.
I bought a circa 1975 stereo receiver for $20.
Sansui 8080- turns out it will work very well. 80 w per channel and a linear power supply, so a real honest 80W and not like the current realm of home stereo in a box that tout 80w x 5 channels.

I soaked it for an hour and a half at reduced ac voltage, slow ramping the voltage up as the leakage current the reforming electrytic capacitors were gobbling subsided.

Once I clean the garage stored grime off of it, and fix a few minor driver board intermittent capacitor issues in one channel I should be able to sell this thing if i want to for quite a mark up.
I see them currently priced $400 and up after they are cleaned up.

·
Registered
24,274 Posts
I bought a circa 1975 stereo receiver for $20.
Sansui 8080- turns out it will work very well. 80 w per channel and a linear power supply, so a real honest 80W and not like the current realm of home stereo in a box that tout 80w x 5 channels.
Nice find! I love stuff like that.

There used to be really interesting stuff like this at Value Village. When I was in my 20s, my friends and I used to go to VV to hunt for really nice speakers and amps. The electronics section was always very neat.

Occasionally, we found some. I remember buying some fantastic brand name speakers at VV for maybe $3 each, and I set them up all around my bedroom. One of them had a ridiculous wattage rating (can't remember what), and incredible bass. By mixing different VV speakers, some which excelled in the higher frequency range, I was able to put together a very nice sound system. It was only the amp which held me back... not enough power to drive all the speakers.

I wonder if Value Village still has stuff like this. I hope the teens and young adults still make use of it... they'll save a fortune and learn electronics skills too.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So this am the SDM bin had 2 dozen eggs dated next week, that another broken egg had soiled the exterior of the egg carton. Then 8 little yoghurt cups that the outside cardboard was a bit beat up. A dish detergent that had one side hinge on the flip lid broken. 3 little 24 pills each of 200mg ibuprofen expiring this month. Sits me fine - when I take these it is usually a 300mg bitten in half at a time.

Last week, also SDM, it was a full bag loaf of the nice nutty bread, with some jam soil on exterior of bag. Dozen eggs with one small cracked we tossed. Packet of pods of coffee that we peeled open and used to feed our drip basket coffee maker all week. Three packs of Starbucks instant pumpkin spice latte that my wife loves.

Liquid and pressed powder and loose powder foundation and concealer from an Australian vendor that I guess they stopped carrying. All in date. 75% of it went to my wife's theater make up carry case. She uses a lot on stage as she has a naturally pale complexion with some freckles that goes with being red headed.

The other 25% of the cosmetics are in an olive tone for someone with Mediterranean skin tone, and we have such a gal coming to a bbq we will host in 2 weeks. The cosmetics, if full price stickers are to be believed, summed to over $350.

·
Registered
19,484 Posts
A few years ago a buddy of mine found a Sports Illustrated magazine in a Salvation Army store.

I think he paid $1 dollar for it. It was a copy of this magazine. I regularly wander the Goodwill and Salvation Army stores.

I have bought a lot of cool stuff there cheap.....mostly retro.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This time it was eagle eyes on the way home. Turned a corner and something on the inside of the curve near the curb glinted. Parked where safe to do so and walked back. Was an extensible 1/2" socket drive breaker bar, of the sort you use to change tire lug nuts, with a two sizes of lug nut reversible deep socket still attached.

Then with nicer weather of summer upon us more roadside and parking lot cans are turning up.
Between 10 minutes on the way to work, 1/2 hour at lunch and 5 minutes on the way home the haul was 70 beer cans and 14 wine bottles.

Oh and a pair of size 10 30" leg ladies jeans fished from a dumpster that will get washed and turned over to a thrift for sale. Smell like a dog peed on a leg. But just wash them, don't toss them for pete sake!

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Nothing huge - just 3-4 weeks of gathering here and there. Processed it to optimize cash scrap value. Chop plugs off of cords of wire. About half an hour of prep. Netted a bin of wire, bin of old docking stations office was dumping. Pair of old brake rotors, sundry metal classed as shredder.

Came to $79. Last Friday cans and bottles returns was a bit shy of $20. Now I have about $10 sitting in the side yard pile after Sunday morning and am and noon gathering today, Monday while at work.

Saturday was first Ham Radio flea market since summer of 2019.
Took things I have gathered radio related over last few years, repaired, aligned, and verified will operate and provide good service.
I had about $250 invested, it is my hobby time to fix the stuff. For what i sold I got $550. I still have about a third of the inventory still to sell at the next 'hamfest' coming up in the fall.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So this past weekend it was sell off surplus to my needs photography equipment at a photo-centric flea market event.
Cleared $400 between 7:30am and 10:30am for stuff that has been in the attic of my garage for at least 3 years. Yes I have put money into it over time, but not more than $400, and now have 6 less boxes of the stuff acting as baggage to my artistic pursuits in that hobby.

Yes an hour to pack the car and another hour to catalog unsold and put it back to garage attic.

To make getting to the shelf it sits on easier I took 80's era stereo gear off to donate to Value Village. Compact stereo, stereo receiver, graphic eq and two sets of speakers that are not worth the effort for me to try to sell.
The gear was all gifted to me, cleaned up and put into working order with new dial lights etc but no huge money tied up in fixing it. Hopefully someone gets it for a small price and puts it to good use.

Sunday early morning drop off flattened cardboard of empty boxes after last two weekends sales.
To a local cardboard bin.

The car was finally empty enough to dumpster dive again. Usual Sunday papers, about $12 worth of cans and bottles for the beer store run. Metal worth about $5 toward a future scrap run. SDM dumpster dive -dozen eggs with soiled carton, two boxes of cereal a month out of date, Vanilla extract with a cracked lid foil seal still good. Nutella same way. Toilet bowl cleaner full with label sleeve missing. Cookies. Weed herbicide spray concentrate in another can on the way home.

Today on Monday at lunch, find 65 cans in brush near lcbo store in plaza. Was raining heavily this am, so the usual early AM clean up crew must have made an abbreviated effort. Then more wine bottles on spots I check on the way home.
So make returns to the beer store since my wine bottles store was overflowing, and come away with $40.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts