Canadian Money Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am representing my son over 'unpaid business taxes'. There is an ongoing dispute over tax monies owed in two of fifteen tax years. The last thirteen years had refunds due but were held back over the first two years in dispute. My search revealed an accounting error in the first two years such that refunds were due there too. All the CRA late penalties absorbed most if not all of the refunds due. I appealed this explaining that there was never any taxes owed in any year, however, the appeal group has 'gone dark' and I have had no replies for months. What should I do?

·
Registered
859 Posts
That’s how CRA runs, they get bribed by large businesses that minimize taxes and never get properly audited
instead CRA goes after small businesses who can’t effort to pay bribes
Deeply corrupt agency.

·
Registered
859 Posts
The Canada Revenue Agency is rotten to the core. Time to clean house.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Not everything is a conspiracy theory, please try a simpler explanation first.

Big businesses can hire armies of lawyers and accountants to do their bidding, which make collecting tax from them an expensive and time-consuming endeavour, so CRA avoid auditing them, as they can get less tax back as a result.

Is it fair ? Of course not.

·
Registered
667 Posts
My advice is that if you have a business, engage a professional accountant. The Original Poster’s comments indicate that he is personally trying to resolve errors made many years ago. Not enough details provided but my feeling is that he’s just wasting time. Why someone would not use professional assistance when dealing with the Appeals Department Is mind boggling. This was your last chance - you blew it.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My advice is that if you have a business, engage a professional accountant. The Original Poster’s comments indicate that he is personally trying to resolve errors made many years ago. Not enough details provided but my feeling is that he’s just wasting time. Why someone would not use professional assistance when dealing with the Appeals Department Is mind boggling. This was your last chance - you blew it.
As John Wayne would say Go Far Yonder pilgrim. G F Y

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am representing my son over 'unpaid business taxes'. There is an ongoing dispute over tax monies owed in two of fifteen tax years. The last thirteen years had refunds due but were held back over the first two years in dispute. My search revealed an accounting error in the first two years such that refunds were due there too. All the CRA late penalties absorbed most if not all of the refunds due. I appealed this explaining that there was never any taxes owed in any year, however, the appeal group has 'gone dark' and I have had no replies for months. What should I do?
This CRA story never seems to end and they have a long list of rules and time-lines that you must follow. CRA refused to let me reopen the 2004 tax file due to certain time rules but they did allow the reopening of the 2005 and 2006 years. These years needed to be reopened because the accountant goofed up and we finally discovered his error. Anyway you can appeal the CRA ruling to an appeal group in P E I and they have the power to over -rule CRA. Also if they don't allow your appeal to review and correct the tax year in error you can finally make an appeal through the Federal Tax Court. On it goes. The CRA can keep you on their 'string' almost endlessly. They have a lot of power. I found some of them were fair and tried to help and use common sense. Others just stuck to the book no matter how unreasonable the rules were. If you have the time and the patience you can probably get through it with success as long as you don't lose your temper. That would bo ones worst mistake. Any other experiences of value? Thanks.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This CRA story never seems to end and they have a long list of rules and time-lines that you must follow. CRA refused to let me reopen the 2004 tax file due to certain time rules but they did allow the reopening of the 2005 and 2006 years. These years needed to be reopened because the accountant goofed up and we finally discovered his error. Anyway you can appeal the CRA ruling to an appeal group in P E I and they have the power to over -rule CRA. Also if they don't allow your appeal to review and correct the tax year in error you can finally make an appeal through the Federal Tax Court. On it goes. The CRA can keep you on their 'string' almost endlessly. They have a lot of power. I found some of them were fair and tried to help and use common sense. Others just stuck to the book no matter how unreasonable the rules were. If you have the time and the patience you can probably get through it with success as long as you don't lose your temper. That would bo ones worst mistake. Any other experiences of value? Thanks.
I also found that CRA makes many accounting errors ....so you shouldnever assume they are right.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The deal I would like to get from CRA is the one Mulroney got over his $300 000. Bernie Schreiber cash!

·
Registered
3,019 Posts
The deal I would like to get from CRA is the one Mulroney got over his $300 000. Bernie Schreiber cash!
Anyone can get that deal if they 'get' to the CRA before the CRA gets to them. Which Mulroney did within 24/48 hours of those monies being made public! Mulroney's representative acted immediately, according to reports at the time, and sent a letter to CRA advising them that the tax return was going to be ammeded.

I did. Smaller amounts over several years but they did add up to $120K plus of undeclared income. When I realized the error on one year, I reviewed several more.

Refiled the changes on-line, re-assessed, paid the tax, and the interest. No penalties.

We have also refiled in the past, through our accountant (we required professional advice), and we needed permission to open one or two years back that were 'closed'. Re-assessed and refunds were issued to us. We have never had any hesitation in engaging professional help when we felt we needed it or that it would be to our advantage.

Perhaps we have been fortunate. We have had several desk audits, refiles, etc. Always found CRA to be reasonable-when using a CPA or when doing it ourselves.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Anyone can get that deal if they 'get' to the CRA before the CRA gets to them. Which Mulroney did within 24/48 hours of those monies being made public! Mulroney's representative acted immediately, according to reports at the time, and sent a letter to CRA advising them that the tax return was going to be ammeded.

I did. Smaller amounts over several years but they did add up to $120K plus of undeclared income. When I realized the error on one year, I reviewed several more.

Refiled the changes on-line, re-assessed, paid the tax, and the interest. No penalties.

We have also refiled in the past, through our accountant (we required professional advice), and we needed permission to open one or two years back that were 'closed'. Re-assessed and refunds were issued to us. We have never had any hesitation in engaging professional help when we felt we needed it or that it would be to our advantage.

Perhaps we have been fortunate. We have had several desk audits, refiles, etc. Always found CRA to be reasonable-when using a CPA or when doing it ourselves.
Acted 'immediately'? According to court documents Mulroney reported income of $225 000. in '93, '94 from Schreiber and paid a tax of $112 000 on these funds in the year 2000.

·
Registered
3,019 Posts
Acted 'immediately'? According to court documents Mulroney reported income of $225 000. in '93, '94 from Schreiber and paid a tax of $112 000 on these funds in the year 2000.
Clearly Mulroney was trying to avoid paying tax on this cash 'transaction'.

When it become public that this transaction took place, Mulroney's tax lawyer immediately contacted Revenue Canada to report that his client his made an 'error; on his tax return and would be refiling. It was clear that Revenue Canada would follow be following up on this!

The point is someone who comes forward and 'voluntarily' admits that his/her income has been misstated is far less likely to be penalized than if Revenue Canada, as it was then called, found discovered the undeclared income via the audit process.

So Mulroney was forced, by the commission disclosure, to amend his tax return(s). But he did so prior to any audit query from Revenue Canada.

Just as I did , or anyone else can. It is very straightforward. Clearly Mulroney's original intentions were not as straightforward as mine, or others who amend their returns.

The same has applied to those who voluntarily came forward when one of the offshore tax scam participant lists was publicized. Some of the folks who used that Victoria firm to stash monies overseas and avoid tax have apparently come forward and made voluntary statements to CRA. They did so because they were concerned about a CRA audit, substantial CRA penalties on the tax not paid over and above the tax due and accrued interest.

This option is open to anyone, and in fact CRA encourages it.

·
Registered
667 Posts
CRA was embarrassed when the Mulroney deal was revealed. His lawyer was able to get CRA to agree to the generous terms for an anonymous client - who later turned out to be the former Prime Minister. Subsequently, CRA has been much more difficult in their negotiations relating to unreported income.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

When it become public that this transaction took place, Mulroney's tax lawyer immediately contacted Revenue Canada to report that his client his made an 'error; on his tax return and would be refiling. It was clear that Revenue Canada would follow be following up on this!

The point is someone who comes forward and 'voluntarily' admits that his/her income has been misstated is far less likely to be penalized than if Revenue Canada, as it was then called, found discovered the undeclared income via the audit process.

So Mulroney was forced, by the commission disclosure, to amend his tax return(s). But he did so prior to any audit query from Revenue Canada.

Just as I did , or anyone else can. It is very straightforward. Clearly Mulroney's original intentions were not as straightforward as mine, or others who amend their returns.

The same has applied to those who voluntarily came forward when one of the offshore tax scam participant lists was publicized. Some of the folks who used that Victoria firm to stash monies overseas and avoid tax have apparently come forward and made voluntary statements to CRA. They did so because they were concerned about a CRA audit, substantial CRA penalties on the tax not paid over and above the tax due and accrued interest.

I speak from personal experience when I tell you that CRA has arcane rules that make no sense to anybody. I dealt with three years of self-declared unpaid taxes. They allowed me to open two of those years. The error was in my favour in the final analysis and no taxes were owed....actually a refund was due. The accountant had made the same mistake in each year so it was a no-brainer as to the correction. They would not allow me to correct this particular year because of a CRA time line. They have some crazy rules and your only final appeal is to the Tax Court of Canada. It is slow, complicated and expensive. The only people who do OK with CRA are the rich or people with power or connections like Mulroney for example.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Ian: You sure have drunk the coolaid! I feel sorry for you. Or maybe you are a P C politician or a CRA employee.

·
Registered
3,019 Posts
Ian: You sure have drunk the coolaid! I feel sorry for you. Or maybe you are a P C politician or a CRA employee.
No, I just have had a number of interactions with CRA. Refiles, desk audits, tax shelter items. Some to my benefit, some to theirs. I did work for a CA firm 35 years ago prior to switching to a career in technology.

I have never had an issue engaging professional help or guidance when I felt out of my depth or the benefit of that advice/direction would far outweigh the cost. This may be one of the reasons that I have not had any issues with CRA. It was actually CRA a re-assessment notice on a tax shelter in the early 2000's that caused me to engage a CA. Ended up refiling back to '96 and 97. $11,000 in refunds from subsequent re-assessments between the both of us.. A $3,500. professional services fee that netted out to $2100 in after tax dollars. Might not have happened if I had simply paid the re-assessment and complained that CRA were terrible.

My interactions with CRA have always been fair. I do not especially like paying tax however I am thankful that I have had the income to incur that tax. To be fair, all of our issues have been black and white so speak. The numbers....income, expenses, deductions, CCA, etc.were/are all very straightforward. Very few expenses like auto and home office have even been subject to reasonableness or interpretation.. There was always a good portion of black and white in those variables. I may not have liked it but CRA was not the issue...the tax act was. One thing about CRA...they are not mind readers. When they ask for the back up documentation they mean it!

My daughter and son in law are in business and have had several CRA issues via their CPA accountant. Their experience has been the same. Clearly I realize that this is a people business and CRA employees are no different than others. Some good, some not as good.

I tend to be a glass half full person. Don't spend my waking ours lighting my hair on fire or lamenting about things like CBC, CRA, Air Canada, Habs, taxes, or politicians. The way I look at is that I am about 98 percent better off than anyone one else in the world just by virtue of being born in Canada. The rest was up to me, and to my parents. Not a complainer or prone to blaming others for self inflicted issues....too busy moving forward.

·
Registered
21,717 Posts
Don't spend my waking ours lighting my hair on fire or lamenting about things like CBC, CRA, Air Canada, Habs, taxes, or politicians. The way I look at is that I am about 98 percent better off than anyone one else in the world just by virtue of being born in Canada.
You'll never make it on social media with that attitude!

·
Registered
667 Posts
I speak from personal experience when I tell you that CRA has arcane rules that make no sense to anybody. I dealt with three years of self-declared unpaid taxes. They allowed me to open two of those years. The error was in my favour in the final analysis and no taxes were owed....actually a refund was due. The accountant had made the same mistake in each year so it was a no-brainer as to the correction. They would not allow me to correct this particular year because of a CRA time line. They have some crazy rules and your only final appeal is to the Tax Court of Canada. It is slow, complicated and expensive. The only people who do OK with CRA are the rich or people with power or connections like Mulroney for example.
Some of the arcane rules are not the fault of CRA but the politicians and the Department of Finance who drafted the law.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts