Canadian Money Forum banner
481 - 500 of 3193 Posts

·
Registered
2,999 Posts

Well, ****. This is it. Every Quebecer line up for mandatory gene sequencing. Results immediately sent to CRA.
If you are one of unlucky ones and have higher risk of needing healthcare system - extra tax

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
As a follow up to post #385 My Covid Experience so far

Spouse is feeling a lot better, day 3&4 were really rough, day 5 he sounded awful but said he felt not bad. Today is day 6. He is officially out of isolation, but sticking around home. He still has a lingering cough and feels run down.
Oldest - rapid tested today (day 5) and NEGATIVE. She was feeling the worse out of everyone. Yesterday and the day before (day 3, 4), she had a fever. chills, sore throat, cough and was out. No appetite. I was quite concerned for her. Yet, she had tested negative again. I called the doctor for an online consult, she says it could be viral but we will monitor for strep.
Youngest - we tested Sunday & Tuesday (day 1) and she was negative. She had a little sore throat when she came home on Tuesday day. Wednesday (day 2) She felt horrible, fever, sore throat, tired, similar to the oldest, but not as bad. Tested again today (day 3) and she showed up positive.
Myself - Slight tickle in throat Sunday, tested negative, assumed I had sympathy covid. Monday (day 1) - felt really run down and really sore throat, did a full PCR test Negative. Wednesday (day 3) - felt awful, stayed in bed all day with cough, sore throat, and sweats. Thursday (day 4) today - rapid test negative. Called the docter, she wants me to give it until the weekend see if it breaks. She thinks that I may have a small viral load for covid that isn't picking up, but the booster is doing it's job.

So what do infer from my families experience
  • Seems that subtle symptoms show up about 3 days after exposure.
  • Worst days are 3-4 after symptoms start
  • Rapid testing shouldn't be done too soon after exposure. Wait at least day 2 or 3, but isolate in the meantime.
  • Booster shots work

Honestly, the hardest part now is keeping everyone still isolated. Once I knew my spouse was okay to take care of the kids, I should have just ripped off the masks and let nature take its course. However, because my oldest and I have something different, the doctor doesn't think it's a great idea for our bodies to fight two things at the same time. If my oldest and I were well, I think I would have just stopped isolating all of us when I knew spouse was going to be okay (need one adult to take care of things) Now, my youngest and spouse get to binge netflix and video games together, while the oldest and I are lonely. Thanks for reading.

·
Registered
24,333 Posts
Thanks for sharing. Keep in mind that rapid tests are not very accurate. They can only be used to confirm that one is positive but can't be used to confirm that someone is covid-free. In other words

rapid test positive = you definitely have COVID
rapid test negative = not much information, suggests no COVID, with high error rate

Hope your family feels better soon. I do agree it's best to isolate and wear masks as much as possible, because the last thing you want is multiple infections.

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
Thanks for sharing. Keep in mind that rapid tests are not very accurate. They can only be used to confirm that one is positive but can't be used to confirm that someone is covid-free. In other words

rapid test positive = you definitely have COVID
rapid test negative = not much information, suggests no COVID, with high error rate

Hope your family feels better soon. I do agree it's best to isolate and wear masks as much as possible, because the last thing you want is multiple infections.
yes false negative happens often when the viral load isn’t enough. However , when their are symptoms and multiple testing, then the false negative should be reduced. That’s why I suggest testing day 1 and 3 o sympms. I also had a PCR which is rare for false. results.

Reactions: james4beach

·
Registered
2,999 Posts

Spouse is feeling a lot better, day 3&4 were really rough, day 5 he sounded awful but said he felt not bad. Today is day 6. He is officially out of isolation, but sticking around home. He still has a lingering cough and feels run down.
Oldest - rapid tested today (day 5) and NEGATIVE. She was feeling the worse out of everyone. Yesterday and the day before (day 3, 4), she had a fever. chills, sore throat, cough and was out. No appetite. I was quite concerned for her. Yet, she had tested negative again. I called the doctor for an online consult, she says it could be viral but we will monitor for strep.
Youngest - we tested Sunday & Tuesday (day 1) and she was negative. She had a little sore throat when she came home on Tuesday day. Wednesday (day 2) She felt horrible, fever, sore throat, tired, similar to the oldest, but not as bad. Tested again today (day 3) and she showed up positive.
Myself - Slight tickle in throat Sunday, tested negative, assumed I had sympathy covid. Monday (day 1) - felt really run down and really sore throat, did a full PCR test Negative. Wednesday (day 3) - felt awful, stayed in bed all day with cough, sore throat, and sweats. Thursday (day 4) today - rapid test negative. Called the docter, she wants me to give it until the weekend see if it breaks. She thinks that I may have a small viral load for covid that isn't picking up, but the booster is doing it's job.

So what do infer from my families experience
  • Seems that subtle symptoms show up about 3 days after exposure.
  • Worst days are 3-4 after symptoms start
  • Rapid testing shouldn't be done too soon after exposure. Wait at least day 2 or 3, but isolate in the meantime.
  • Booster shots work

Honestly, the hardest part now is keeping everyone still isolated. Once I knew my spouse was okay to take care of the kids, I should have just ripped off the masks and let nature take its course. However, because my oldest and I have something different, the doctor doesn't think it's a great idea for our bodies to fight two things at the same time. If my oldest and I were well, I think I would have just stopped isolating all of us when I knew spouse was going to be okay (need one adult to take care of things) Now, my youngest and spouse get to binge netflix and video games together, while the oldest and I are lonely. Thanks for reading.
Sheesh, now we know where all the tests disappeared!

In all seriousness though, happy that everyone is doing relatively well!

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
Sheesh, now we know where all the tests disappeared!

In all seriousness though, happy that everyone is doing relatively well!
No,. I started sourcing my test in oct/novas a precaution. I paid $275 for my home test to ensure we are safe. I also had sources from the US and overseas too. So I am definitely not causing any shortages.

My biggest thing is that we don’t cross infect each with covid and strep or whatever we had I could only image if we end up being the next variant. I wish we only had one illness to deal with.

·
Registered
24,333 Posts
No,. I started sourcing my test in oct/novas a precaution. I paid $275 for my home test to ensure we are safe. I also had sources from the US and overseas too. So I am definitely not causing any shortages.
Smart move and nice job! It's called being prepared.

I have a big supply of CAN95 masks myself, I bought them while everyone else was partying and trying to pretend covid didn't exist.

·
Registered
11,534 Posts
yes false negative happens often when the viral load isn’t enough. However , when their are symptoms and multiple testing, then the false negative should be reduced. That’s why I suggest testing day 1 and 3 o sympms. I also had a PCR which is rare for false. results.
I know a family that was in isolation, dad got 3 negative PCR tests, then 3 other family members got positive rapid tests.

I think the false negative rate is too high.

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
For those worried about getting myocarditis from the vaccine, they tend to forget that you have a higher chance of developing it if you get covid.

A top athlete at 21 years old at that.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Yes private enterprise in the healthcare system is wonderful. Thank you PE for the ventialors that keep the unvaccinated in the ICUs alive. Thank Moderna and Phizer for their live saving vaccines . Free enterprise is alive and well. Not to leave the anti-vaxxers on the outside thank you Merck for Invermechin.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
This article says many hospital systems are in crisis scenarios.
I wonder about this article . I spend my winter in a poor county in Texas with a population of 900,000. It has based on past surges a 1CU capacity of about 320. Alberta with a population of 4 million has about 390 for ICU capacity. From what I can see Quebec ICU capacity is something like 400. There is no hospital capacity problem in this county. Last I checked they had 43 in ICU. I am quite certain the USA has a much larger hospital capacity. I can count hospitals in Calgary and come up with 4. In my Texas County I can county 7 separate hospital systems. I am not trying to defend the USA system but I do believe that an unintended consequences is the US has a much larger hospital capacity.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
For those worried about getting myocarditis from the vaccine, they tend to forget that you have a higher chance of developing it if you get covid.

A top athlete at 21 years old at that.
He is fully vaccinated
And also, no. If you are male under 40 you are 12 times as likely to get myocarditis after 2nd dose of Moderna than after COVID

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
He is fully vaccinated
And also, no. If you are male under 40 you are 12 times as likely to get myocarditis after 2nd dose of Moderna than after COVID
I did a Google search and I don't find any study from a credible source that would support your statement. The British had a study of 38 million people and concluded between 1 to 4 cases of myocarditis per one million for the vaccinated and 40 cases per million for the unvaccinated. The CDC data doesn't support your claims. The CDC says the unvaccinated are 16times greater chance then the vaccinated.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
I did a Google search and I don't find any study from a credible source that would support your statement. The British had a study of 38 million people and concluded between 1 to 4 cases of myocarditis per one million for the vaccinated and 40 cases per million for the unvaccinated. The CDC data doesn't support your claims.
Posted here multiple times but clearly you repress any memory that doesn't support your predetermined point of view

Rectangle Slope Font Plot Parallel

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Posted here multiple times but clearly you repress any memory that doesn't support your predetermined point of view

View attachment 22674

View attachment 22674
I will take the CDC report over this supposed study.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
I will take the CDC report over this supposed study.
Would be much more constructive if you actually posted it here.......
Does it break down cases by vaccine type, age, gender? Or treats 5 year old girl. 40 year old trans, and 98yo male the same?

And what does it mean 'supposed' study? Just because you don't like the conclusions you get to deny science?

481 - 500 of 3193 Posts