Canadian Money Forum banner
3121 - 3140 of 3614 Posts

·
Registered
3,133 Posts
Now that we are 2.25 years into COVID, has anyone changed their point of view regarding governmental response, shutting down the economy, etc?

I feel the response was about right. Requiring vaccination for employment and apartment leases is a step too far. I'm glad the courts came down on the right side of that issue.

As an apartment block owner, I am conflicted because I'd like to be able to do whatever I want but I also know what apartment operators are like. Few have much respect at all for the people who make a home in their operation.

In some ways, I feel that it was duplicitous to pretend vaccination was optional when it was not.

Meanwhile, a substantial portion of the US ignored COVID. From what I can tell, they were not and are not medically worse off for keeping their economies operating.

It would be difficult to differentiate between the elevated death rate caused by comorbidities and elevated death rate caused by COVID parties. So, I could be wrong on this but I think the US could not have done much better. The folks who got vaccinated were reasonably safe.
The US death rates would indicate That they were and are worse off keeping their economies open.
Rectangle Font Parallel Pattern Screenshot

·
Registered
10,176 Posts
^ Stats of death, infection rates, etc. are meaningless in the USA when the number 1 priority there is of a MAGA mentality, applicable to the slaves of course. It would not surprise me that the USA will come out ahead of any pandemic for the most deaths in the world (aka most diseased country *) ... next comes monkeypox and god knows what else. Regardless, not visiting it anytime soon even it's a hop over us Canada.

* Almost forgot - that's the pride of being a "world class" country. Maybe world class needs a new definition.

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
The US death rates would indicate That they were and are worse off keeping their economies open. View attachment 23527
And the metastudy of over 150 countries that was posted here multiple times, including recently, has shown that shutting down economy had little to no effect on death rate.

But sure, go ahead with your single data point

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Has anyone else noticed that BA.5, a wildly contagious variant that can infect anyone regardless of vaccination or previous infection, has been circulating the biosphere for 6 months with no follow on variant? I do not think this is a coincidence.

·
Registered
24,678 Posts
I noticed something that people do with coughing and sneezing. They first remove their mask, sneeze or cough out into the open, then put their masks back on.

Wouldn't want to get the mask dirty!! lol

Just saw a kid do this in a crowded breakfast buffet at a hotel. The kid took their mask off and sneezed all over the toast area. I abandoned my toast and got the hell out of there.

I've seen adults do the same on airplanes (take the mask off, cough, mask back on) so it's not just kids.

·
Registered
10,176 Posts
^ At least the runny nose and snots stay where they are in the first place after they put on their mask. As for spreading their germs, that's not new as who cares about everybody else. I bet they didn't even wash bother washing their hands prior to eating so I don't blame you for abandoning your toast and getting out of there. I would have lost my appetite seeing that. EEEEWWWW!!!!!

·
Registered
3,158 Posts

·
Registered
10,176 Posts

·
Registered
3,158 Posts

"Which brings us to another problem: The government’s decision to designate parts of ArriveCAN as a trade secret and bar the app’s source code from disclosure. Aside from the fact it was designed with five private companies – including one consisting of no more than four employees that was awarded a non-competitive contract valued at $14-million – Canadians know almost nothing about how it was made or how it works. "

3121 - 3140 of 3614 Posts