Canadian Money Forum banner
3061 - 3080 of 3140 Posts

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
Want to live on residence at UoT? Better be "fully vaccinated" meaning "3" shots ... 2 initial +1 booster. Sounds right.

U of T will require all students living in residence to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 with a booster dose
Thinking more about this. Students accepted their universities Some time ago. And surely some have already paid for tuition and residence. Doesn’t give them a lot of options this late. And we’re not even requiring health care workers to have 3 doses.

UofT ahead of the curve? ..can we expect 3 doses to be requireD down the road for other establishments? Gyms? Restaurants? Flights?

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Thinking more about this. Students accepted their universities Some time ago. And surely some have already paid for tuition and residence. Doesn’t give them a lot of options this late. And we’re not even requiring health care workers to have 3 doses.
Perhaps the goal was to create a project for undergrads in the Faculty of Law.

·
Registered
24,279 Posts
I posted an error earlier, when I mentioned two of my relatives in Europe who both caught COVID and were hospitalized.

The man (high risk, with various health problems) had 4 shots.
The woman (pretty good health) had only 2 shots, the primary series.

Additionally, the woman had gotten run down and exhausted in the preceding days, excessive work/stress and insufficient sleep.

Earlier I said they both had 4 shots which wasn't true.

·
Registered
9,666 Posts

UofT ahead of the curve? ..can we expect 3 doses to be requireD down the road for other establishments? Gyms? Restaurants? Flights?
.. don't know about UoT as being ahead of the curve but the "general" population (aka public) will be getting 3 shots, if not more if Covid takes another turn to be nastier. Can't compare to the health workers given the staffing shortages. I mean Quebec hospitals made exceptions to allow Covid positive employees to work. (Yeech) But definitely NOT for Toronto's hospitals and I hope they stay this way for the duration of the "pandemic".

Re the other occupations - never mind about them for now.

Just ask your buddies over at TD Bank if their employer has not mandated them to be "fully" vaccinated (aka at least 3 shots) if they're to return to their place of work? Yes or no?

·
Registered
9,666 Posts
Perhaps the goal was to create a project for undergrads in the Faculty of Law.
... could be. And see if they can do something for them convoy FreeDumbers like offering pro-bono services to keep these hill-billies out of jail? I would love to see that kind of project coming out from the Law Faculty.

·
Registered
9,666 Posts
I would expect a lot more from the Premier of Canada!
... we don't have a "Premier" of Canada but we do have a premier for each of the province of Canada.

I don't disagree with you that we, as Canadian "taxpayers" expect more from our Prime Minister just as for our premiers or "elected" officials. But then like most CEOs, the "self-interest" is the number 1 priority with these individuals. Taxpayers and employees are minions to them.

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
.. don't know about UoT as being ahead of the curve but the "general" population (aka public) will be getting 3 shots, if not more if Covid takes another turn to be nastier. Can't compare to the health workers given the staffing shortages. I mean Quebec hospitals made exceptions to allow Covid positive employees to work. (Yeech) But definitely NOT for Toronto's hospitals and I hope they stay this way for the duration of the "pandemic".

Re the other occupations - never mind about them for now.

Just ask your buddies over at TD Bank if their employer has not mandated them to be "fully" vaccinated (aka at least 3 shots) if they're to return to their place of work? Yes or no?
As far as I know, there are no other industries or organizations mandating any vaccines.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
As far as I know, there are no other industries or organizations mandating any vaccines.
I suspect we are like minded in this being a step too far.

If employers and landlords can demand proof of vaccination, people do not have control of the medications they take.

I really hope students challenge this policy and I hope they win. I also hope they consider how vaccination can help them reduce the risk of getting COVID.

Weak minded people seem to think forcing others to comply is a great idea. If we don't stand up to these behaviours, we will not live in a free society.

·
Registered
14,963 Posts
I suspect we are like minded in this being a step too far.

If employers and landlords can demand proof of vaccination, people do not have control of the medications they take.

I really hope students challenge this policy and I hope they win. I also hope they consider how vaccination can help them reduce the risk of getting COVID.

Weak minded people seem to think forcing others to comply is a great idea. If we don't stand up to these behaviours, we will not live in a free society.
My employer was for the first half of the year requiring proof of vaccination or regular (every few days) testing. They have since stopped requiring anything.

·
Registered
14,963 Posts
This seems to happen a lot with paxlovid (same thing happened with Stephen Colbert, for instance), where it gives the false impression of clearing the infection while only suppressing it for a time and then having it return. As I understand it, the clinical trials for paxlovid showed it helped in unvaccinated cases, but is now being used routinely for vaccinated cases, where it may not actually help.

·
Registered
9,666 Posts
This seems to happen a lot with paxlovid (same thing happened with Stephen Colbert, for instance), where it gives the false impression of clearing the infection while only suppressing it for a time and then having it return. As I understand it, the clinical trials for paxlovid showed it helped in unvaccinated cases, but is now being used routinely for vaccinated cases, where it may not actually help.
... sounds like there's no getting around on being vaccinated short of taking your chances with a severe case of Covid.

·
Registered
9,666 Posts
My employer was for the first half of the year requiring proof of vaccination or regular (every few days) testing. They have since stopped requiring anything.
... sounds like your employer as with any employer was weak-minded too. LMAO ...

·
Registered
9,666 Posts
Following local health advice. Who cares whether it makes sense.
... don't disagree on this either as them local/public health are of weak-minds too. LMAO.

When it comes down to a "pandemic" (aka affecting human being on this planet), whether it makes sense or not (which is dependent on the eyes of the beholder) doesn't matter. Besides, even the "real " "medical/scientific" experts can't get it right.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Besides, even the "real " "medical/scientific" experts can't get it right.
Quite a few of them can and have gotten it right by studying the data and using the scientific method.

It might make sense for some of the COVIDphobes to get tested to see if their body has a strong immune response to COVID. In the UK, something like 99.7% of people have a level of protection from either an infection or vaccine. I expect Canada to be similar.

For those of us with some protection, the 1% death rate days are long over. COVID is a cold now. Like other colds, a handful of people will catch it and die but the odds of death are very, very, very low for those with immunity.

We have booked a cruise for this fall. We aren't 100% that we will go but I would say 60%. If we get COVID, it will be like a cold. The worst aspect will be having to pay for a quarantine hotel and meals at ridiculous rates. There is no fear of dying.

I have gotten a cold on most of our extended vacations. It's a reality of air travel but I've picked up colds outside of aircraft, as well. We aren't gambling with our lives.

On a positive note, if I don't make it through this fall vacation AltaRed can start a thread explaining that active management, balancing, and diversification are the path to the highest returns with no push back. (y) :D

• Haha
Reactions: londoncalling
3061 - 3080 of 3140 Posts