Canadian Money Forum banner
2841 - 2860 of 3129 Posts

·
Registered
9,639 Posts
We have all had summer colds. They are less frequent than winter bugs but it happens.
... I never had a summer "cold" but I did have the summer "flu". And the severity of that "flu" can be just as bad as a "winter" one. No thanks, you keep them ALL. I'm not loving them.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
... I never had a summer "cold" but I did have the summer "flu". And the severity of that "flu" can be just as bad as a "winter" one. No thanks, you keep them ALL. I'm not loving them.
I didn't realize covid had an opt-out clause.

·
Registered
9,639 Posts
I didn't realize covid had an opt-out clause.
... not if you've the fixated mindset that Covid is merely the "cold" now. Re-read your post responding to J4B:

#2,835 · 10 h ago
james4beach said:
Having respiratory disease (COVID) run rampant through peak summer months isn't normal.
We have all had summer colds. They are less frequent than winter bugs but it happens.
... so are you saying that the "summer" coldS you had were ALL Covid ones? When you stated you caught all Covid versions during the "winter". So what "colds" were you referring to, if not the "regular=NON-Covid" ones?

As for me, I never caught Covid - any versions and I want to keep it this way. Plus I don[t want to catch any nonCovid flu. Covid is NOT the cold.

If you got a cold (or think with that fixated mindset) in the summer, that's NOT Covid, that's allergy as much as you want to muddle-fuddle and make an attempt to re-classify Covid as the "cold". In your head, it's the "cold". To someone else, it's Covid. The deadlier version of a flu-like disease. And I haven't got into "long" Covid yet.

·
Registered
976 Posts

·
Registered
9,639 Posts
You insult everyone who has a different opinion than you do. But if someone questions your loose facts or childish behavior you can't handle it.
... talking about yourself? What "loose facts" when the link is published right there on a national news site for the entire world to see.

No, you don't insult everyone who has a "different opinion" than you 'cause you're a trolling saint.

As said, complain to Boris about the "illegal immigrants from X countries" going to the UK. Even you don't live in the UK but loves to live in Canada and bash its policies. And yes, no thanks to the ilks like you for those results in the link. Happy now.

·
Registered
9,639 Posts
The severity of COVID risk is going down as the population builds immunity.
... and if it re-surges, will you eat your words here? Btw, I ain't no scientist, virologist, or Covid expert to make such a prediction.

Covid aka the pandemic will only be over when an "official" declaration is made by a nation and/a team of medical experts that include the above. Until then, all statements are understood as made by experts-wannabees aka "opinions". Bye.

Reactions: ian

·
Registered
11,484 Posts
We disagree on what is normal and acceptable.

Having respiratory disease (COVID) run rampant through peak summer months isn't normal. That never happens in normal years. So this is a sign that COVID still hasn't settled down, and is still an "outside the norm" problem -- that requires extra measures.
100-130/wjk in winter, vs 70-80/wk in summer For Ontario in 2019.
Sure it's different, but it isn't like respiratory illness disappears in the summer.

it's interesting to note, all cause mortality drops in the summer too

[/QUOTE]
Normally, summer has the lowest respiratory disease and no flu at all. Instead, COVID is currently infecting everyone, and there's huge absenteeism because employees (including medical workers) are out sick.

COVID will eventually become like that, but it hasn't happened yet. Once it's in a normal seasonal pattern things will be fine, but we're not there yet.
[/QUOTE]
We're pretty much there, COVID is around, but people don't care.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
If the numbers from Our World in Data are correct, China has it's COVID problem well in hand with only about 100 new cases yesterday. The mayor of Shanghai has declared zero covid a success.

There are stories coming from China indicating COVID problems and far more infection than is being reported. It's difficult to know how factual they are.

Meanwhile, Beijing authorities put out an announcement indicating mass testing and travel restrictions will continue for the next five years. They later removed the five year citation.

It's tough to know what is going on over there. All western reports seem to be of humanitarian crisis but that could be our anti-China bias on display.

What if zero COVID succeeds? It doesn't seem like it could but if it did, they would have to shut themselves off from the world or their country would be ravaged.

·
Registered
3,606 Posts
We just came back from a month in Portugal. Portuguese covid cases are surging. Currently the highest percentage case increase in Europe according to reports.

We were required to take an antigen test 24 hours prior to getting on the plane. Whilst in Portugal masks were mandatory on planes, trains, buses, and taxis. We traveled mostly by train and some bus. It was enforced.

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
That's fair. Just not sure what their gameplan is. COVID is here forever and will never disappear.
For now they are getting the west into complete economic turmoil, but not like they are immune to the consequences as well

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
And any immunity will last just shy of the next wave or new variant. :)
Immunity lasts. New variants need to be sufficiently different as to get around existing immunity.

The current Portugese wave involves a lot of infections of BA.5 but lower deaths and hospitalizations than even BA.2 in February.

·
Registered
14,959 Posts
Immunity lasts. New variants need to be sufficiently different as to get around existing immunity.

The current Portugese wave involves a lot of infections of BA.5 but lower deaths and hospitalizations than even BA.2 in February.
Facts are not on your side here. Many people are getting reinfected 3-6 months after previous infection. Hopefully these reinfections are continually milder, but immunity is not enduring.

·
Administrator
5,282 Posts
That's fair. Just not sure what their gameplan is. COVID is here forever and will never disappear.
Standard gameplan, try to limit spread so it doesn't overwhelm heathcare ... rinse and repeat. Covid may be around for a very, very long time if it keeps cycles going around the planet.

How long does it last? I've seen estimates from 3 months to a few years. And of course new variants could change those figures significantly.

·
Registered
11,484 Posts
Facts are not on your side here. Many people are getting reinfected 3-6 months after previous infection. Hopefully these reinfections are continually milder, but immunity is not enduring.
immunity has never been enduring for Coronaviruses, that's one of the problems with COVID.

That's also why there was so much livestock coronavirus research, including the mRNA vaccines.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
How long does it last? I've seen estimates from 3 months to a few years. And of course new variants could change those figures significantly.
We don't know how long it lasts, as it hasn't been very long, however, 3 months is incorrect.

The reason Wuhan and Delta are essentially gone is because so many people have been exposed to them. Omicron BA.1.* and BA.2.* are all but gone for the same reason.

Testing shows people who had sars-cov-v1 back in the early 2003/2004 still have an immune system defence mechanism after all these years. This is why it seems most likely that natural immunity is going to last a long time.

Some people seem to be smearing FUD on anything that does not align with their point of view. Is the purpose of this thread to educate ourselves or to spread the most negative possible unfounded thoughts regarding contagions in the biosphere?

·
Administrator
5,282 Posts
We don't know how long it lasts, as it hasn't been very long, however, 3 months is incorrect.

The reason Wuhan and Delta are essentially gone is because so many people have been exposed to them. Omicron BA.1.* and BA.2.* are all but gone for the same reason.
Well if you'd like to show studies on confirmed reinfection cases or immunity level testing for covid I'd like to read them. One should also look at those who were infected by Omicron and had a confirmed previous variant infection.

Testing shows people who had sars-cov-v1 back in the early 2003/2004 still have an immune system defence mechanism after all these years. This is why it seems most likely that natural immunity is going to last a long time.
A small study shows SARS decreases significantly after 3 years.

BTW, having some type of immune response and having "immunity" are not the same things.

Some people seem to be smearing FUD on anything that does not align with their point of view. Is the purpose of this thread to educate ourselves or to spread the most negative possible unfounded thoughts regarding contagions in the biosphere?
I agree, looking forward to see your published study data on this subject. :)

2841 - 2860 of 3129 Posts