Canadian Money Forum banner
2761 - 2780 of 2900 Posts

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
When polio spreads through the US, it is going to add additional consequence to the anti-vax movement. That ought to be interesting.

In the mean time, I need to find someone with BA.5 who is willing to cough on me.

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
I attended an event at my kid's school yesterday. The auditorium was not as full as similar events prepandemic where everyone was shoulder to shoulder but definitely full. Mask use was almost non existent. I would estimate at 3% (primarily grandparents and a few others). One teacher was masked who is immunocompromised. I don't believe I saw a student masked but this makes sense as the event would not allow for masking and they have been a large cohort throughout the pandemic. At this point they have shared and reshared all sorts of bugs with each other. I did overhear a parent and a teacher talking about attendance. The teacher reported that absenteeism has been at an all time high and there have only been a handful of days with full class attendance this entire school year. I really don't have an opinion on any of what I provided but wanted to report the observation. This event also would have given @TomB16 an opportunity to expose himself to a variety germs in preparation for his adventure at sea. ;)

·
Registered
9,456 Posts
I attended an event at my kid's school yesterday. The auditorium was not as full as similar events prepandemic where everyone was shoulder to shoulder but definitely full. Mask use was almost non existent. I would estimate at 3% (primarily grandparents and a few others). One teacher was masked who is immunocompromised. I don't believe I saw a student masked but this makes sense as the event would not allow for masking and they have been a large cohort throughout the pandemic. At this point they have shared and reshared all sorts of bugs with each other. I did overhear a parent and a teacher talking about attendance. The teacher reported that absenteeism has been at an all time high and there have only been a handful of days with full class attendance this entire school year. I really don't have an opinion on any of what I provided but wanted to report the observation. This event also would have given @TomB16 an opportunity to expose himself to a variety germs in preparation for his adventure at sea. ;)
... you have to tell TomB16 in advance in addition of an invite to this "opportunity". I think there's still another chance ... how about kissing someone who traveled to the UK recently? Suggestions: A neighbour, friend of neighbour, friend of friends, kids of friends, etc..

Ah, putting on my thinking cap, I know where's the best place to catch it - the Covid ward of your local hospital, "guaranteed" you'll get one version. Though no guarantee it'll be 4 or 5 as it is reported spreading in the UK at the moment.

·
Registered
9,456 Posts
Covid 5 and 6, monkey pox, and now polio ? Is there any connection to climate change, ocean tides, phases of the moon, or something ?
... not so fast sags. We're only at Covid 5 - not 6 yet.

But don't knock it, the pandemic could be related to climate change. it has been reported that scientists know or have a good estimate that there're some 15,000 (yes, 15 thousands) kind of viruses lurking beneath the Arctic ice. So once global ice start melting (because of cc), some of those bugs are gonna to be released ... which might then be connected with ocean tides as how else will those germs travel here and there? And then it might be related to the moon phases as ocean tides are generated by earth's gravitational pulls ... with the moon too. Whoa!

Watch, we're gonna to be labelled as conspiracy theorists here next ...

·
Registered
24,069 Posts
I attended an event at my kid's school yesterday. The auditorium was not as full as similar events prepandemic where everyone was shoulder to shoulder but definitely full. Mask use was almost non existent. . . . At this point they have shared and reshared all sorts of bugs with each other. I did overhear a parent and a teacher talking about attendance. The teacher reported that absenteeism has been at an all time high and there have only been a handful of days with full class attendance this entire school year.
The rates of COVID infection among kids has been extreme. Anecdotally (through my friends) it sounds like all kids have caught COVID. And they also spread it to the rest of society. The kids have been circulating this all year, to everyone.

If we were a smarter society we would have put up defenses to prevent this kind of uncontrolled disease spread. What we went through is not good and in some ways I feel like we're a third-rate country, that we can't / won't use modern technology to protect children and protect all of society.

It's not healthy to let an infectious disease blast through society like this. First of all, it causes severe health problems in some % of people. It also prevents people from going to their jobs.

Constantly circulating sickness does not help anyone. People can get reinfected and become sick again in 2-4 months. And there's still long COVID out there. All we're doing by aggressively circulating COVID is making more people sick, when fewer could have been sick.

We're a stupider country than I had hoped, and our Public Health officials dropped the ball. The speed of disease transmission should have been reduced instead of just ignoring all the infections. What kind of approach is that, to just ignore the infections?

Is that going to be the plan in winter too? Just ignore it and let the hospitals fill up, because the kids are spreading COVID again like wildfire?

We're going to have more deaths from COVID in winter. People's bodies and immune systems are weaker, they are less resilient in general.

·
Registered
9,456 Posts
The rates of COVID infection among kids has been extreme. Anecdotally (through my friends) it sounds like all kids have caught COVID. And they also spread it to the rest of society. The kids have been circulating this all year, to everyone.

If we were a smarter society we would have put up defenses to prevent this kind of uncontrolled disease spread. What we went through is not good and in some ways I feel like we're a third-rate country, that we can't / won't use modern technology to protect children and protect all of society.

It's not healthy to let an infectious disease blast through society like this. First of all, it causes severe health problems in some % of people. It also prevents people from going to their jobs.

Constantly circulating sickness does not help anyone. People can get reinfected and become sick again in 2-4 months. And there's still long COVID out there. All we're doing by aggressively circulating COVID is making more people sick, when fewer could have been sick.

We're a stupider country than I had hoped, and our Public Health officials dropped the ball. The speed of disease transmission should have been reduced instead of just ignoring all the infections. What kind of approach is that, to just ignore the infections?

Is that going to be the plan in winter too? Just ignore it and let the hospitals fill up, because the kids are spreading COVID again like wildfire?

We're going to have more deaths from COVID in winter. People's bodies and immune systems are weaker, they are less resilient in general.
... that IS the plan! Nothing to see, nothing to do given 1. everybody must have gotten Covid aka "immuned" by now (but not sure where the "herd immunity" ???? status is at though), and 2. Covid is now the "flu" "mentality". Plus "you're on your own".

I can't wait to see the resurgence of polio spreading as THAT IS a known "childhood" disease.. Add this with the flus (Covid and/or not). Ho-hum.

I'm glad at least TO hospitals at least have their masks mandate in place as if the place is not germy enough to begin with.

Almost forget to mention this. From the Ontario's MOH announcement, under the direction of its CPO (aka fake CMO), the (or more like 'his) "plan" is for Ontarians to get their "2nd" booster shot in the fall of 2022 ... I'm ROFeffFLMAO ... those/them Delta vaccines must be expiring soon so better make use of our tax-dollars before them public health experts get booted out of a job.

·
Registered
11,213 Posts

Hospitalization and ICU are flat/falling, while wastewater is starting to increase.
Clearly the current situation isn't as dire as in early 2020. We have vaccines and treatments, and the trend for lethality of this virus is dropping.
We are approaching the end of the pandemic.

"What kind of approach is that, to just ignore the infections?"
The completely normal approach.
Honestly, until 2020 we didn't trackd Coronavirus infections, we only tracked variants that were extremely dangerous.

Given that the current coronavirus strains aren't that bad, we're not dedicating as much resources to it.

You keep saying everyone dropped the ball, what exactly are you proposing?
Time to get back to normalish.

FYI, schools still have some COVID restrictions

·
Registered
19,193 Posts
There were no restrictions in the public school graduation ceremonies yesterday for our grandson.

Almost 300 people packed into the high school auditorium, nobody wearing a mask, everyone yelling and shouting out cheering the students as they accepted their diplomas. The irony is the teachers and principal spent a lot of time talking about how well the school and students managed through the covid pandemic.

Then they decide to abandon all precautions the last time the students will gather together. You just gotta wonder..........

If anyone in the audience has covid..........many of us are going to get covid.

·
Registered
11,213 Posts
There were no restrictions in the public school graduation ceremonies yesterday for our grandson.

Almost 300 people packed into the high school auditorium, nobody wearing a mask, everyone yelling and shouting out cheering the students as they accepted their diplomas. The irony is the teachers and principal spent a lot of time talking about how well the school and students managed through the covid pandemic.

Then they decide to abandon all precautions the last time the students will gather together. You just gotta wonder..........

That's interesting, because the public school assemblies in London (TVSB & LDCSB) have been outdoors due to COVID restrictions.

This was recommended by Doug Ford.

There was nothing preventing the Principal from holding graduation outdoors, I'm just shocked that the school boards apparently didn't ban indoor graduations for HS students.

·
Registered
2,998 Posts

300?! You do realize tens of thousand have been attending concerts and live sports for months.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
300?! You do realize tens of thousand have been attending concerts and live sports for months.
For sure. (y)

I haven't been this free of impactful virus for a long time. The second last "cold" I had was in January 2020 with the Wuhan variant of COVID. That was a rough ride. The last "cold" I had was early this year when I had a slight dry cough. I'm 90% sure it was omicron. If the symptoms had been any less, I would not have noticed. I would cough perhaps once every 45 minutes. It wasn't enough to make my throat raw from coughing, and the coughs were a hack or two to clear my throat, but it felt a bit unusual. It felt like a dry throat but it didn't go away with drinking water. It lasted a few days.

This, and we have been travelling and going out (with masking and hand washing until April 2022). We spent the winter in Mexico.

I don't know how much of it comes from being retired and not sharing a germ pool with hundreds of people or how much of it is herd immunity now that nearly everyone has had COVID exposure. I'm sure both play a factor. Still, I am enjoying feeling great all the time.

I plan to continue washing my hands frequently and I will still wear a mask in a few places like aircraft but COVID is mostly over for me. I believe most of the people still living in fear are doing so irrationally. Society has learned to live with it. Death rates are way down from their peak.

Viva post covid life!

·
Registered
2,998 Posts

I think the precautions were abandoned a few months ago in schools.

·
Registered
11,213 Posts
Perhaps, but every student (parent) had to pay an additional fee for grad.
And it should have been outdoors in accordance with the rules set by the relevant school boards, and recommendations from the province.

Why the principal seems to have done something else is beyond me.

Though there is the possibility that sags is simply lying.

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
And it should have been outdoors in accordance with the rules set by the relevant school boards, and recommendations from the province.

Why the principal seems to have done something else is beyond me.

Though there is the possibility that sags is simply lying.
No mention of my kids’ ceremony being outside in the email we got. Although, my kid says it’s definitely outside. We’ll see next week.

·
Registered
24,069 Posts
Almost 300 people packed into the high school auditorium, nobody wearing a mask, everyone yelling and shouting out cheering the students
Yup, you just attended a super-spreader event.

That's true, but kids are particularly strong disease-spreaders. It's not their fault, they just aren't mature enough yet to practice better hygiene and by the nature of playing, they spread more disease. Again not their fault, that's natural for children, but cramming 300 people + kids indoors is really STUPID. Hopefully they opened external windows and ran fans to ventilate the auditorium. That would make it safer.

I'm astounded that anyone would attend such a thing without a mask.

The indoor concerts and live sports events should also have capacity limits (it's more about density limits actually) but I suspect they are a bit less dangerous, as most adults are vaccinated [ meaning even if infected, they'll have lower viral loads ]. Masks should be mandatory at these events as well.

Basically we should still have: mandatory masks for large indoor gatherings, and some capacity limits.

2761 - 2780 of 2900 Posts