Canadian Money Forum banner
241 - 260 of 3646 Posts

·
Registered
24,714 Posts
I did a bit of public outreach today, trying to help some local store workers. I discovered a local supply of CAN95 masks. They're impossible to find, even Costco is sold out, but I found some. They're just hiding in a corner that nobody seems to have discovered.

So I popped into a grocery store, where there are quite a few employees who appear to be over age 50, and tipped them off about this hidden stash of N95s. Hopefully it helps them out. These employees are still wearing surgical masks on the job, and that's just not going to cut it.

·
Registered
5,118 Posts
The US at this time requires no proof of vaccination at land crossings. I crossed from Tecate back to Potrero today...they did make me wear my mask...customs guy had his nose sticking out lol. I didn't need any vaccine proof when entering from BC 2 months ago either.

btw no mask will cut it as Covid spreads by aerosols...been known for a long time...pretty much Covid theatre at this point but whatever keeps the herd calm.Get vaccinated & boosted ASAP...

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
Our anti-vaxxer neighbour has been very sick for 3 weeks with the “flu”
The US at this time requires no proof of vaccination at land crossings. I crossed from Tecate back to Potrero today...they did make me wear my mask...customs guy had his nose sticking out lol. I didn't need any vaccine proof when entering from BC 2 months ago either.

btw no mask will cut it as Covid spreads by aerosols...been known for a long time...pretty much Covid theatre at this point but whatever keeps the herd calm.Get vaccinated & boosted ASAP...
I believe the vaccine requirement is there but no enforced. We were asked about it and verbally confirmed.

·
Registered
11,878 Posts
I did a bit of public outreach today, trying to help some local store workers. I discovered a local supply of CAN95 masks. They're impossible to find, even Costco is sold out, but I found some. They're just hiding in a corner that nobody seems to have discovered.

So I popped into a grocery store, where there are quite a few employees who appear to be over age 50, and tipped them off about this hidden stash of N95s. Hopefully it helps them out. These employees are still wearing surgical masks on the job, and that's just not going to cut it.
N95 are still readily available at Costco.

Also 95PFE, which is equivalent.
The Canadian Standards Association (CSA) Group launched a certification program in October 2020, which provides an alternative to NIOSH for Canadian manufacturers of FFRs. Respirators certified through this program will be designated 95PFE.

In Ontario Hospitals have enough, as do Long term care and they have a supply for teachers.

I personally bought a few boxes of N95's about 100 or so, for the kids to wear to school if they open up.

Apparently in BC they're sending kids back without N95s for kids or teachers, which IMO is irresponsible.

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
N95 are still readily available at Costco.

Also 95PFE, which is equivalent.
The Canadian Standards Association (CSA) Group launched a certification program in October 2020, which provides an alternative to NIOSH for Canadian manufacturers of FFRs. Respirators certified through this program will be designated 95PFE.

In Ontario Hospitals have enough, as do Long term care and they have a supply for teachers.

I personally bought a few boxes of N95's about 100 or so, for the kids to wear to school if they open up.

Apparently in BC they're sending kids back without N95s for kids or teachers, which IMO is irresponsible.
$3?

I‘ve seen them as low as $0.30 USD on Amazon, although I saw a news story that 60% of N95s in the US are fake.

·
Registered
19,967 Posts
Unless they are fitted properly for each person and worn properly, the higher grade masks are as useless as a cloth mask.

When fitted properly, the masks are tight and uncomfortable so most people wouldn't wear them properly anyways.

Healthcare professionals or people dealing with at risk populations should use them, but they have them fitted and know how to wear them properly.

The best protection is vaccination and avoiding high risk settings. There isn't much to prevent infection......only the worst outcomes.

·
Administrator
5,447 Posts
Looking at the local MB numbers about a week since the holidays, case counts have obviously skyrocketed and hospitalizations are on a signficant rise as well. The only somewhat positive news is the ICU numbers, although a bit higher, continue to go up at a much, much slower rate.

I think another couple of weeks we'll get a good idea on impact of this wave. I do wonder what the outcome of all the vaccine/booster shots combined with the high count of infected each day will have on future waves.

·
Registered
19,967 Posts
Another variant has been discovered in France and there are 5 cases in Canada.

Little is known about the variant except that it it has many changes to it's structure.

WHO is tracking it but not given it a name yet. People are calling it the IHU variant for now.

·
Registered
11,878 Posts
I think another couple of weeks we'll get a good idea on impact of this wave. I do wonder what the outcome of all the vaccine/booster shots combined with the high count of infected each day will have on future waves.
I think the 30% callouts they're seeing will likely become a reality, which will be a mess, but this might be "the end" of COVID in it's current form.

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
Here’s real world situation, a person got vaccinated in may first dose Pfizer, in July second dose Moderna, because Canadian health scientists said mix and match is fine even superior. Then the USA officials disagreed ( at that time, don’t follow the situation now) and to travel to the USA a person need to be fully vaccinated (only one type of vaccine accepted). so the person went ahead and got their second dose of Pfizer in August.
The question now. Is the person need the fourth dose and which brand of vaccine to be considered ”boosted” or no action required and the person is protected against omicron? Thanks
I think the main thing is how long ago they had their latest dose. 6 months after August is February if my math is right. In Ontario, we recently decreased the criteria for a booster from 6 months to 3 months due to Omicron.

So if I were this person, I'd try to book a booster shot for the not-too-distant future, but I wouldn't stress too much about it if I couldn't get one right away. My understanding is that the original series (no booster) is still providing good protection against severe outcomes, even after 6 months. And that person had 3 doses, so they might be better protected than a 2-dose standard person. But it's hard to say since this is a weird case and I'm sure nobody has done studies on such outlying situations.

·
Registered
24,714 Posts

Smart. I think the kids should wear N95s until we have a better grasp of what's going on at the moment. We have such poor numbers, very poor monitoring and stats on the current situation.

·
Registered
24,714 Posts
So if I were this person, I'd try to book a booster shot for the not-too-distant future, but I wouldn't stress too much about it if I couldn't get one right away. My understanding is that the original series (no booster) is still providing good protection against severe outcomes, even after 6 months.
Yes that's how I understand it as well. Previous vaccinations do seem to still protect against severe outcomes, as far as we know right now.

The boosters are attempting to prevent symptomatic infection. I'm worried that this effort is somewhat futile though. Two shots have just about 0% effectiveness against omicron for symptomatic infection. But perhaps even worse, the third shot -- according to an Ontario study which went to preprint just a few days ago -- is only about 30% to 40% effective against symptomatic infection.

So if someone receives a booster shot, it's not like they can just go right back into high-risk settings. With how much omicron is circulating right now, they're still very likely to catch it and get sick.

And once vaccinated people are sick, they do spread it to others. They contribute to disease spread. We really have to rethink those vaccine passports, because those environments are not as "safe" as everyone seems to believe.

The boosters may be useful for strengthening the ongoing immune strength, but I'm not sure the boosters are too useful for protecting you from the CURRENT wave.

·
Registered
24,714 Posts
I see boosters strictly as a means to help keep people from going to the hospital.
Yeah good point, they are supposed to boost the immune response which is especially valuable for the elderly and people who might not have had sufficient immunity from the previous shots.

Apparently, the older one gets, the faster one loses the immunity from previous vaccinations. I guess boosters try to make up for that.

·
Registered
5,118 Posts
According to data being fully vaxed now makes people more susceptible to infection. We need to stick to truthful narrative, people resisting vaccines are looking for BS statements to justify their case.

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
As for N95 masks, I don't think it'll be a bad idea to check with the CDC website for their list of approved N95 masks if in doubt.

But doesn't look like they have a list of approved KN95 masks.

241 - 260 of 3646 Posts