Canadian Money Forum banner
181 - 200 of 3646 Posts

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
Dr. Fritz François, chief of hospital operations at NYU Langone Health in New York City, said about 65% of patients admitted to that system with COVID-19 recently were primarily hospitalized for something else and were incidentally found to have the virus.

At two large Seattle hospitals over the past two weeks, three-quarters of the 64 patients testing positive for the coronavirus were admitted with a primary diagnosis other than COVID-19.

That is crazy. 2/3 of COVID patients have incidental positive test

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
He's already been vaccinated so they won't be coming after him.

ltr
They will. For different reason. Either when he finally says enough at 13th dose, or because they don't like how he votes, thinks, where he is from, what color he is, or how he spends his time.
Once you allow government to break human rights and use scapegoats, they don't stop.

·
Registered
11,878 Posts
Several places are seeing staff absences in the 10-30% range.
CNN had an article (lost the link) but it was 30% EMS, 21% Police 17% Fire department.

Windsor area hospitals reported their employee absence rate is 5x normal.

Hospitalization is spiking fast.
I think Hospitalization is a good proxy for how many people are getting sick with COVID, and hence how much it's spreading.
Rectangle Font Line Slope Parallel

I'm honestly not too concerned with Omicron itself, I'm concerned what happens with 20-30%+ absence rate.
That's a lot of chaos

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
There is an easy fix to 20-30% absence rate - drop isolation period for anyone without symptoms.
Same as with any other sickness in winter. Don't go to work if you have cold or flu or omicron symptoms. Go to work otherwise.
Sending infected nurses to work was the first step to do that. Rest of society has to follow

·
Registered
4,134 Posts
They will. For different reason. Either when he finally says enough at 13th dose....
I suspect I've had that many flu shots over these many years. I didn't feel forced - I just felt lucky to get it for free and that it was available to protect me.

Once you allow government to break human rights and use scapegoats, they don't stop.
I remember them saying that when seat belts became mandatory. You would have thought the world was coming to an end.

ltr

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
I suspect I've had that many flu shots over these many years. I didn't feel forced - I just felt lucky to get it for free and that it was available to protect me.

I remember them saying that when seat belts became mandatory. You would have thought the world was coming to an end.

ltr
Because you weren't forced or coerced to flu shot.
You gave voluntary consent to medical procedure.

I don't know who was saying that. You got any links? What section of a charter, international standards, treaties, accords were broken?

Voluntary consent to medical procedure is absolutely essential. You have a right to refuse any medical intervention.
And if you try to argue that vaccinations are voluntary, then actually look up definition of 'voluntary consent'

·
Registered
4,134 Posts
Because you weren't forced or coerced to flu shot.
You gave voluntary consent to medical procedure.
It's painfully obvious that you're someone who doesn't worry about cancer treatments and elective surgeries put off because beds are filled with people who chose not to get vaccinated. You have fun on the internet acting like some sort of rights activist who has zero skin in the game. Life must be nice for you.

ltr

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
It's painfully obvious that you're someone who doesn't worry about cancer treatments and elective surgeries put off because beds are filled with people who chose not to get vaccinated. You have fun on the internet acting like some sort of rights activist who has zero skin in the game. Life must be nice for you.

ltr
Ecoregion Rectangle Orange Organism Slope

You blame that bottom pink for elective surgery cancellation? Why not the middle pink?

You found yourself a scapegoats and now want to break their human rights and remove the ability to provide voluntary consent.

Yes, life is pretty nice for me, but I still respect human rights of the abused and scapegoated minority instead of being a selfish prick who wants human rights abuse as long as it doesn't touch him

·
Registered
11,878 Posts
Winnipeg has a severe shortage of police right now, due to sickness.

BC's Public Health is warning that up to 1/3 of employees might soon be out sick with covid.
Yet they opened up the schools, how many days till they'll close because the teachers got sick?

I much prefer Ontario who closed them from the start.
It's easy enough to look at any jurisdiction with a spiking Omicron rate and see the problems they have.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
CNN had an article (lost the link) but it was 30% EMS, 21% Police 17% Fire department.

I think Hospitalization is a good proxy for how many people are getting sick with COVID, and hence how much it's spreading.
View attachment 22615

I'm honestly not too concerned with Omicron itself, I'm concerned what happens with 20-30%+ absence rate.
That's a lot of chaos

View attachment 22615

That's a lot of chaos
That appears to be the biggest issue. I have heard by rumour that some major hospitals have 30% of the staff out with positive tests. I believe that is why jurisdictions have been adopting the 5 day isolation rule. Extraordinary circumstances require extraordinary decisions.

·
Registered
11,878 Posts
That appears to be the biggest issue. I have heard by rumour that some major hospitals have 30% of the staff out with positive tests. I believe that is why jurisdictions have been adopting the 5 day isolation rule. Extraordinary circumstances require extraordinary decisions.
I watched part of Ford press conference, he was very clear that the reasons he is shutting schools and imposing harsh measures is the staffing problem.
Of course the media went with all sorts of other stories, really focusing on schools and other clickbait items.
They pretty much ignored the simple fact that if people are too sick to work, the systems will stop working.

The 20-30% callout rates are a reality for some jobs in some areas.
EMS & Police have good numbers coming out of the US.
I've heard similar numbers for some hospitals, but Canada isn't there yet, though they're redeploying staff to accommodate the influx.

Even if you have "flu like symptoms", ie coughing, sneezing, fever etc, and aren't "going to die", you're still too sick to work, and that's a problem.

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
Until they start breaking out incidental COVID cases, those stats aren't helpful with Omicron.
If in Seattle and New York 2/3 of hospitalizations are people who incidentally tested for COVID while in hospital for other reasons, then why the situation would be any different in Toronto or Vancouver?
Do they have total hospital loads for Ontario? I know they have them in Alberta:

Brown Ecoregion Rectangle Orange Organism

The yellow space is free hospital spaces. Over Christmas it was lower, and perhaps beginning of October. Other than those two time periods, the hospital vacancy is highest it was in 2021

·
Registered
11,878 Posts
This isn't just a problem of people out sick with minor symptoms, or staffing concerns. Many people are ending up in hospital too.
Yes, hospitalization is a huge issue, but people aren't listening.
They don't realize that even with a much lower hospitalization rate, if you dramatically increase the number of cases you still have a problem with overload.

Also staffing is a HUGE issue. It is one thing if 1-2% are out sick, that's around normal and we can accommodate it.
10,20,30% that has a notable impact on capacity/quality.

·
Registered
24,714 Posts
Yes, hospitalization is a huge issue, but people aren't listening.
They don't realize that even with a much lower hospitalization rate, if you dramatically increase the number of cases you still have a problem with overload.

Also staffing is a HUGE issue. It is one thing if 1-2% are out sick, that's around normal and we can accommodate it.
10,20,30% that has a notable impact on capacity/quality.
These are all good points. I don't know why people refuse to take the hospitalizations seriously. We're only a couple weeks into this exponential spread, and look how many people have already ended up in hospital.

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
Because we don't know if those people end up in the hospital because of COVID. Once we do find out, then perhaps there will be a reason to worry about.

Scotlands numbers are:
550,000+ Omicron cases
91 people entered hospital
1 in ICU

They broke it down by admission caused by COVID and numbers are not scary at all.

If Ontario breaks down by admission from COVID vs with COVID, and the numbers are vastly different than the ones above, then there might be a reason to worry.

I agree with Matt for now. Staffing shortages are much bigger deal. Drop the isolation to 0 for asymptomatic - otherwise you will have massive shortages. In my team already around 40% are in isolation - although we can work from home if necessary with decent efficiency so not that big of a deal, just shows the scale of infections.

181 - 200 of 3646 Posts