Canadian Money Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Good idea actually. Also include obese, smokers, drinkers.
Quebec wants to tax people unvaccinated against COVID-19.
That sounds good to me! A good portion of doctors and nurses can't even take proper care of themselves. You'd think they'd know better.

We can make it a progressive tax as there are levels of dumbass in society. Our hospitals are bloated with preventable issues. We don't need more doctors and nurses, we need less sick people. It's like throwing more money into a dysfunctional system.

We are heading down a slippery slope!

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
One slight difference is that obese people, smokers, drinkers, etc do no pass this to others.
Are you not familiar with 2nd and 3rd hand smoke. Try putting an obese person into a stretcher - high rate of back issues amongst paramedics! Drunk drivers, most of us know someone that has lost a friend or family member. The list goes on...

They are not simply doing harm to themselves. They are a continued burden to society in more ways than one. One could argue much more so than the small number of unvaccinated individuals.

We have issues that go far beyond COVID.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
True, it does reduce probability of a bad case of covid. But I also expect more boosters will be required this year and I want to space these out.

I had quite severe side effects from the last shots and the last thing I want is another shot a few months from now. Because there are very harsh on the body, I need to space them out. My guess is that we're all looking at getting another vaccination in the Oct/Nov time frame.
If you are young, healthy, etc. I wouldn't be in any rush. Your chances of a severe outcome with 2 doses is minimal, especially with Omicron. Likely close to the risk of a piano falling out of the sky and landing on you! The boosters should be reserved for those that really need them - elderly, immune compromised, other countries with low vaccination rates, etc.

Pfizer is already talking about yearly boosters, etc. Time will tell whether or not this is even necessary. What they need is a better treatment options. Chasing COVID with a yearly vaccine is futile. We all know how accurate they are with influenza. And we all know how few people actually get the yearly jab.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Here's some background on the same subject.

This should help get some peoples panties in bunch 😲

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Why can't the media, some doctors and the public get their heads out of their ^#@
We had no idea’: Unvaccinated B.C. doctor stuns patients over COVID-19 beliefs. ‘We had no idea’: Unvaccinated B.C. doctor stuns patients over COVID-19 beliefs | Globalnews.ca

We now know that current vaccines have minimal impact on transmission and that natural infection can create a robust protection against future infection. These are not opinions or beliefs. It's sad that both sides of the spectrum can't seem to follow the science and use a little bit of common sense.

We needed everyone to get vaccinated to help reduce hospitalization, severe illness and death. You may not agree with the fact that a small minority of people can't or don't want to get vaccinated but lets not spin what some are saying and / or the data to support your beliefs. Both "head in the sand" extremes seem to do this. Doesn't seem to be a lot of critical thinkers left in society.

Based on what we know today there's really no reason why the doctor should not be able to continue practicing. Have her pay for her own medical care if she comes down with severe illness and didn't "want" to be vaccinated but let's not ruin her career and tarnish her reputation.

If I'm missing something please let me know.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Pretty amazing stats, if true. Note that "some immunity" doesn't mean you can't get sick. It means you are unlikely to end up dying of Covid.
Vaccinated individuals can still get pretty sick. Colleague of mine just got out of emergency. Triple vaxed, mid 40's, relatively healthy for today's standards (free of disease, overweight and inactive). Was on IV for secondary complications. Will likely be in home isolation / recovery for 2 wks.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Colleague has had COVID for 5 days now, sick as a dog! Has had all 4 doses and no prior infection. Good health, middle age, no preexisting conditions, follows public health recommendations more than most, etc. Maybe if we walk around with an IV drip of this stuff flowing through our veins it would work well. There must be a better way!

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
... I'm surprised your presumably "healthy" middle-age colleague got "4" vaccine doses. And are you sure that he came down with Covid, and not the flu? Did he/she ever had the flu in his or her life? I'm curious.
Not surprising to me. Increase case numbers in our area, symptoms match, positive tests, etc. Hard to avoid infection (cold and flu) when you have young kids. So yes, prior infection - like almost our entire population. Very few influenza cases in my region at the moment.

We need a better vaccine.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
... I'm surprised your presumably "healthy" middle-age colleague got "4" vaccine doses. And are you sure that he came down with Covid, and not the flu? Did he/she ever had the flu in his or her life? I'm curious.
The infection was finally traced down to an event that brought people together from numerous parts of Ontario. A lot of healthy middle aged individuals with families are so scared of getting COVID they will push an 80yr old out of the way to get their shot! Things are changing.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
It bothers me there is so little study of natural immunity. I'm sure Pfizer would have us vax every 6 months for eternity but I believe the future is with natural immunity.

This is the first decent study of a large group, although this study does bring some unanswered questions. I hope more studies of this sort come to light and this data can be verified or disproven.
This is how its always been. There's no money in promoting natural immunity. We have a pill for every ill.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts