Canadian Money Forum banner
1 - 20 of 4160 Posts

·
Registered
3,508 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
In Quebec, we're starting 2022 with a curfew (10PM to 5AM), most stores are forced to close on Sundays and there are no private gatherings indoors or outdoors. These new measures have not been well received by the public and even the media, to say the least, there's quite a lot of shock and outrage going around.

Honestly, I'm more worried about civil unrest now than I am about the virus. Our government needs to take harsh actions against the unvaccinated, not punish the 90%+ who did their civic duty. Personally I'm done playing good little sheep, I don't believe my government is making good decisions anymore. I will do what's right for me, I will get my 3rd dose only when it's convenient for me to do so, and I will fight against stupid measures whenever I get the chance.

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
There's a certain portion of the population who won't let go of the virus. They want as many vaccines and boosters as they come. The truth is the variants are more like a mild flu case, according to international data. Can't deny it anymore.

·
Registered
5,118 Posts
I think at this stage its a bit pointless blaming the state of Covid on the vaccinated. We are far past the point experts promised herd immunity. First time ever the failure of a medicine is blamed on the people that didn't take it.

·
Registered
12,602 Posts
There's a certain portion of the population who won't let go of the virus. They want as many vaccines and boosters as they come. The truth is the variants are more like a mild flu case, according to international data. Can't deny it anymore.
I think it's still to early to say that will be the actual impact.
The problem with Omicron, even if it is only "flu like" is that so many people are catching it.
Normally a few thousand die every year (2-8k/yr in Canada) with a flu and without overwhelming our hospitals.
If the flu vaccine is well matched for the year it is very effective.

I just saw that Ontario was up to 0.1% of the population testing positive in a single day, and we're tight on testing capacity. It is clearly endemic, we're all going to get it, likely within the month.
The problem is that even with a ICU hospitalization rate of 20/100k (0.02%) (which from memory is at the lower end of current Omicron data), that means nearly 3000 hospitalizations in Ontario, which is almost 150% of our total ICU capacity. Also consider that if everyone get "flu-like" symptoms at the same time, our hospitals will be short staffed.

I think right now we're at the lowest personal risk since the pandemic began, and the highest system-overload risk.
Right now is when we need to "flatten the curve", which nobody wants to hear about.

That being said, anecdotally I'm seeing.
People who are not sick aren't isolating, lots of holiday gatherings.
Also I've seen a lot of people who are sick are isolating

I think for people who've been under restrictions on and off for 2 years, they're somewhat reasonable in my little window into the world. I'm more cautious, but in some places they're far less cautious.

My plan, I don't want to get sick until the end of the month.. I think I'm going to skip a social engagement this weekend, like I did over the holidays, I don't want to be at the peak of this next wave.

For data, I'm going to watch jurisdictions which aren't restricting tests and see what happens. As someone in Ontario, I'm going to watch Quebec since they seem to lead and be doing slightly worse than Ontario.

·
Registered
10,773 Posts
What I'm hearing from posters from above #3, 5 and 6 is "what pandemic?". Is there a pandemic? The answer is obviously "no, there isn't one on CMF", only hot air /typings threads.

Or better yet start with "what's a pandemic?" All needs a definition for that, even it's not Covid.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Dr Robert Malone, one of the inventors of mRNA technology (he holds several patents), and who is one of the most qualified people in the world on the subject has been banned from Twitter for going against the current narrative.

·
Registered
10,773 Posts
In Quebec, we're starting 2022 with a curfew (10PM to 5AM), most stores are forced to close on Sundays and there are no private gatherings indoors or outdoors. These new measures have not been well received by the public and even the media, to say the least, there's quite a lot of shock and outrage going around.

Honestly, I'm more worried about civil unrest now than I am about the virus. Our government needs to take harsh actions against the unvaccinated, not punish the 90%+ who did their civic duty. Personally I'm done playing good little sheep, I don't believe my government is making good decisions anymore. I will do what's right for me, I will get my 3rd dose only when it's convenient for me to do so, and I will fight against stupid measures whenever I get the chance.
... your choice. Just be prepared to face the consequences of those choices.

·
Registered
10,773 Posts
Dr Robert Malone, one of the inventors of mRNA technology (he holds several patents), and who is one of the most qualified people in the world on the subject has been banned from Twitter for going against the current narrative.
... that's because he has been spreading misinformations out there.

Don't you think your note above in brackets ("he holds several patents") says it all ... the contradiction ... as "an inventor of mRNA technology" going against the current narrative that the mRNA technology that "he "invented is actually "useful" to reduce the severity of Covid?

Maybe he should put his efforts into suing Pfizer, Moderna and all the pharmaceuticals who are using his "patents" illegally instead of harping on Twitter and podcasts of various dark websites whilst feeding materials to Tucker Carlson for his nightly shows.

·
Registered
5,118 Posts
The more information the better to form an informed opinion. I read what Fauci says & read what Malone says...both experts, both with agendas. I have never bothered reading what Tam says though lol.

·
Registered
20,805 Posts
Do you guys not get the news ?

Hospitals in the US are at maximum capacity. From city after city, doctors and nurses are describing the situation in their hospitals.

Ambulances are being turned away with accident victims, gunshot wounds, heart attacks because there are no beds for them.

Children are being affected by Omicron, and doctors are seeing covid caused croup and pneumonia at a rising rate.

Kids are 10 times more likely to be hospitalized if not vaccinated. Children under the age of 5 are most seriously affected.

In Ontario, the government will no longer test for covid in schools. Other Provinces are edging closer to a disaster situation.

It appears the Ford government doesn't want parents to know the numbers. If I had kids in school.......they wouldn't be going.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
I live in the same world as you, I just choose not to live in fear. We're currently enjoying a month in Florida where, if you believe the media, is unsafe and our lives are at risk. Of course it's just as safe as most other places but not if you listen to the media.

You can stay home for the rest of your life. We decided to enjoy ours.

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
We're currently enjoying a month in Florida
Good for you. Here we got minus 36 in the morning.
How do you accommodate there, hotel, rents, trailer, own property? What is the most cost efficient way to stay in the warm climates? I want in the near future to leave this bloody Siberian weather (I stopped believing in global warming when I moved to Canada) for five or six months per year.
Plus I might save on taxes if my income is only half. Thanks

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Good for you. Here we got minus 36 in the morning.
How do you accommodate there, hotel, rents, trailer, own property? What is the most cost efficient way to stay in the warm climates? I want in the near future to leave this bloody Siberian weather (I stopped believing in global warming when I moved to Canada) for five or six months per year.
Plus I might save on taxes if my income is only half. Thanks
We're staying in 2 different Airbnb's. Total cost about $3700 for about 34 days. It's not cheap but it's also not ridiculously expensive. We only stay in places with parking and kitchen as we drove down and prefer to cook our own meals. We're also a 1-minute walk to the beach/ocean so that increases the cost. One of the places (where we are right now) is a 2 bedroom main floor unit about 700 sq ft, half of a duplex. The owner lives above us in the other unit. The next place is a 1 bedroom apartment.

We booked late so selection was limited which is why we had to split our stay into 2 different places. The longer you stay the less expensive it gets as you will usually get a discount.

·
Registered
3,303 Posts
We're staying in 2 different Airbnb's. Total cost about $3700 for about 34 days. It's not cheap but it's also not ridiculously expensive. We only stay in places with parking and kitchen as we drove down and prefer to cook our own meals. We're also a 1-minute walk to the beach/ocean so that increases the cost. One of the places (where we are right now) is a 2 bedroom main floor unit about 700 sq ft, half of a duplex. The owner lives above us in the other unit. The next place is a 1 bedroom apartment.

We booked late so selection was limited which is why we had to split our stay into 2 different places. The longer you stay the less expensive it gets as you will usually get a discount.
I have friends who visit north Florida. Not as warm…maybe 15-22c. They pay $1100 US/month. Jan and Feb. Small condo. Walking distance to the gulf.

1 - 20 of 4160 Posts