Canadian Money Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Considering adopting...

I know there are processes in place for certain countries (Phillipines, Ethiopa, China, etc), but some of those countries' requirements are fairly strict -- e.g., you can't have been treated for anxiety or depression within the last 2 years, need to have a certain religion, need to have a certain body mass index, etc.

So in the private adoption world, what are the real costs? I have found estimates of about $20,000 for public adoptions (ie, through the cooperative government programs above), but what are the real costs of private adoption?

Anyone know?

·
Registered
333 Posts
Here's some info you might want to read up (if you haven't done so already).
http://www.canadaadopts.com/canada/domestic_private.shtml

"The key difference (between public and private) is that in private adoption the wait for a healthy newborn is much shorter and prospective adoptive couples (and birth mothers) have much more control over the process than with public adoption."

Do drop by one of those government authorized adoption agencies and ask lots of questions (including private/public cost). They are pretty helpful.

Good luck and all the best to your endeavours!

MB

·
Registered
420 Posts
I am an adoptive mom to two awesome, amazing kids!! In Ontario, public adoption is free. CAS pays all of the legals for you. If you go international, fees vary from region to region but expect to put up at least $15k. We know parents who have paid close to $30k. We also know parents who had a private, domestic adoption and paid $20k when all was said and done. We have close friends who spent over 7 years working with an adoption lawyer, were never placed, but spent 'several thousand' to stay on lists, advertise and gain access to adoption resources.

·
Registered
5,464 Posts
I don't know the answer but friends of mine are in the Ukraine right now, preparing to bring home a 3-year-old girl. What surprises me is that all-in, they will be in the Ukraine for something like 3 months. I presume they both had to take leaves of absence from their jobs - which, if true, is another cost.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Had clients go through int'l adoption last year. Costs for domestic typical run $10-15k, all-in. And, as noted further upthread, wait tends to be longer unless you are prepared (and have been approved for) special needs children. International adoption, like my clients did from Eastern Europe, seems to run a bare minimum of $20-25k. When counting agency fees, food, transportation, accomodations, but excl time off work, their total was $35k.

There is a tax credit for adoptions now available on your tax return. Also, there is a lender that has an adoption loan program but can't recall which one off hand. Check around since you'll find it if it still exists.

·
Registered
29 Posts
We have been in the international adoption process for a few years, and the costs can vary significantly between countries. We had budgeted approximately $30k for an adoption from Thailand. Our budget included the actual adoption fees, travel, facilitation fees, legal work, home assessments and follow ups, but didn't include time away from work or any other expenses that you would expect to incur with a new child (clothes, nursery thingies, etc.). Speaking with prospective adoptive parents looking at other countries, expenses range from $15k to over $40k. There are also minimum liquidity / net worth requirements for most countries- not an expense, but it affects how you may structure things a little.

Of course, these expenses don't include the copious amounts of therapy and/or alcohol required to cope with the ridiculously inefficient adoption system! :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts