Canadian Money Forum banner

1181 - 1200 of 1445 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
I looked it up. Viruses are constantly evolving, but it takes years to change significantly.

This virus is troubling scientists because it appears that it might be changing more rapidly.

They do say that often the small evolutionary changes actually hurts the virus's chances to spread until it evolves again.

The evolution is a continual experimental process for viruses trying to survive against immunization and drugs.

They often go latent until they have evolved enough to reappear. They have no brains but an incredible desire to reproduce.

They are not unlike plants in that regard. All of nature is driven to evolve to reproduce and survive.

If science could discover what internal process drives the need to reproduce, they could eliminate all harmful viruses and bacteria.
here it says the virus isn’t changing rapidly.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/the-coronavirus-isnt-mutating-quickly-suggesting-a-vaccine-would-offer-lasting-protection/2020/03/24/406522d6-6dfd-11ea-b148-e4ce3fbd85b5_story.html

point being....nobody knows anything for sure yet.

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
Actually, if it becomes available, a Covid-19 vaccine could become part of the annual flu shot.
It could, but like the flu, it would have to be different each year as the virus mutates. Even now, there are apparently two different strains. One perhaps more virulent than the other.

The flu shots we get are a kind of guess as to just what flu virus we will be exposed to. And sometimes they are not right.

I don't understand much of this article, but it recommends more testing, preferably in-home. It also says that the virus mutates about twice/month.

In his 19-part March 18 Twitter thread, Bedford offers way to do just that. One path out of the crisis, he says, could be via a massive effort to roll out in-home testing kits and drive-through sites to spot cases early on and then combine those with cellphone location data to trace all the previous movements of those who test positive.
In the UK, home testing kits will apparently be available within days: A simple coronavirus home-testing kit will soon be available to order on Amazon in the UK

·
Registered
363 Posts
It could, but like the flu, it would have to be different each year as the virus mutates. Even now, there area apparently two different strains. One perhaps more virulent than the other.

The flu shots we get are a kind of guess as to just what flu virus we will be exposed to. And sometimes they are not right.

I don't understand much of this article, but it recommends more testing, preferably in-home

In the UK, home testing kits will apparently be available within days: A simple coronavirus home-testing kit will soon be available to order on Amazon in the UK
Very true! Especially those of us in isolation with not much else to do :)
from what I understand, traditional flu, or influenza, is not a coronavirus. SARS is a Coronavirus, and no vaccine is yet available. That’s a bit surprising and worrying given the many years they’ve been working on it. Here’s a couple of links just for reading pleasure.

·
Super Moderator
2,788 Posts
It could, but like the flu, it would have to be different each year as the virus mutates. Even now, there area apparently two different strains. One perhaps more virulent than the other.
Really depends on how the virus changes, multiple strains "could" be delt with by one vaccine. Of course next year there might be a totally new coronavirus ... nobody knows.

Yup, they go on best guess for the year which I'm sure still cuts down on overall number of cases.

·
Registered
11,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,186
The support package for Canadians has changed. The benefits are combined now. It appears that people over 15 who had $5,000 in earnings will qualify.

·
Registered
11,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,188 (Edited)
All these proposed benefits are confusing people. Now they have people on EI and they are stuck on it.

At 55% of their employment earnings, some people will earn less on EI than they would on the new program.

They couldn't handle the influx in EI claims because they may have to close down government offices.

They should have known that was coming and kept it simple in the first place.

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
Sorry, there are multiple strains of COVID-19.

There are other more reputable sources, but they are non public, and they're not releasing the data because it is a bit early to be sure.

·
Registered
10,362 Posts
... They couldn't handle the influx in EI claims because they may have to close down government offices.
??? ... the push is to have people apply online and skip putting themselves as well as Service Canada employees at risk.

They also say if you show up at the office and can use either online or mail they will ask you to go home to use these methods instead.

I have no doubt the volume has them swamped but other gov't employees that I know have been working from home two weeks now so I'm not so sure all that many need the office open.

Cheers

·
Registered
10,362 Posts
...They couldn't handle the influx in EI claims because they may have to close down government offices ...
Man has this site gotten flakier than usual with the interface changes.

Anyway ... as I tried to post earlier, I doubt closing the gov't offices will make that much difference. The EI application process pushed people to use the online process to keep themselves as well as Service Canada employees safe. As part of that push they say that if one shows up at the office but can use online or mail services instead, they will be asked to go home to do so.

Plus lots of gov't employees who are friends of mine say they've been working from home for as much as two weeks already.

Cheers

·
Registered
115 Posts
People need to get the message that past habits need to be changed to suit current circumstances. Stop doing things as you have always done them and start doing them in a way that makes sense today. One of the reasons Ontario has now closed all 'non-essential' businesses, is that people were still going out to places like clothing stores, etc. Clearly, they were not changing their habits. This is not a time for 'retail therapy'.
I am probably out here shouting only to myself. BUT CMF here goes ....

Besides constantly washing your hands and not touching your face, I believe had people even covered their head
with a bed sheet with two holes cut out to strategically fit over a pair of safety glasses or their own prescription glasses (so you are able to see where you are going), there would be a lot less cases of COVID-19.

My annual trip to Orlando to spend two weeks with my daughter and her family was booked for March 21 to April 04, 2020. Back in late January, in preparation for air travel and wandering around a crowded Disney theme park I decided, if I could not buy my own mask to protect me from all those 5 foot 10 inch or taller humans standing, sitting or walking near me who have been told by WHO “it is okay to cough and sneeze into your sleeve or elbow”, I would haul out my old Singer sewing machine, do some online research, and start making my own masks to offer my 5 foot 2 inch frame some protection.

The final product is a Hybrid N95 for outside of a hospital setting. It was modelled and made to exceed the University of Hong Kong design. The University of Hong Kong used one Kleenex tissue between two sheets of paper towelling and they did not pleat theirs.

I use three sheets of triple-ply Kleenex between two sheets of Blue Shop towelling. To prevent leaks, all stitching happens along the outside edges and is covered with strips of Band-Aid cloth tape. I sew in 4 horizontal followed by two vertical pleats to give a pouch area for air tight fit to nose, cheeks and chin and increase the breathing surface area. Additional cushioning is added along the top and bottom edges. Besides pushing the twist tie area along the top edge to make it fit snuggly over my nose, If need be I can also adjust the top set of elastics holding it to my ears and bottom set holding it around my neck to make an air tight fit.

At the best of times masks are not very comfortable to breathe through. Once a mask gets wet it needs to be changed out for a dry one. My mask set up should be good for a 20 minute shopping spree. To make breathing easier, I blow my nose before I put my mask on. I also avoid talking to keep moisture buildup down and I try to concentrate on filling my shopping cart.

As an added level of protection I also wear a pair of safety glasses to protect my eyes and toque to protect my head. I also wear an outer layer of loose fitting clothing that is easily removed. A pair of shoes is set aside as part of my gear to be put on and taken off outside of my residence and left there until needed. Call me paranoid but all the groceries are sanitized outside before they are brought inside our home.

After each use, everything is removed in the parking lot and stored in the trunk of our car. The safety glasses and masks are placed in their own Ziploc baggie and my outer layer of clothing and toque are placed in a garbage bag. Once I am at home the safety glasses get washed with soap and water and the outer clothing and toque are washed and dried and set aside for the next venture into a public domain. The glasses could be sprayed with 70% alcohol. The mask while holding it by its top elastics, is sprayed on its outside and inside surface to saturation with 70% alcohol then allowed to dry outside on my back deck. I have yet to put one of the masks in the oven at 180 F. A microwave cannot be used because of the twist ties used along the top edge to help form mask to ones nose.

My trip to Orlando was not to be... I cancelled my flight to Orlando on March 11. 2020 for travel rewards and WestJet cancelled my return flight on March 24 for travel rewards. By March 20, 2020 at 11:59 pm the US/Canada border was closed to tourism......

Good luck and think and stay safe

·
Registered
4,361 Posts
Besides constantly washing your hands and not touching your face, I believe had people even covered their head
with a bed sheet with two holes cut out to strategically fit over a pair of safety glasses or their own prescription glasses (so you are able to see where you are going), there would be a lot less cases of COVID-19.
Heh didn't Quebec just ban face coverings

Saying don't touch your face is like saying don't blink. Everyone touches their face subconsciously

We just need those cones like they put on dogs so they can't chew on themselves.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
Apparently, border towns are seeing Snowbird RVs parked at places like Walmart. While some might only be parking to sleep enroute to home which I see no problem with, there is no doubt others are parking to shop for supplies to have when they get home. Yet another instance of selfish behaviour that puts other people at risk.

In a crisis, you always find it brings out the BEST in some people and the WORST in some people. It has been reported and confirmed that some people flying back to Canada who are showing symptoms and are therefore not to be allowed on the planes, are hiding their symptoms and boarding the planes.

As a result, we are now entering the next phase of enforcement of the stay at home advice. Police are now being given the power to arrest those who will not comply and both fines and imprisonment are possible.

Those now arriving at the 4 designated airports now have to self-isolate in those 4 cities, unless they have a car there that they can drive straight home with no stops along the way.

We are still hearing about people stuck overseas and some are still expecting our government to do something about getting them home. This expectation of an entitlement is even being agreed with by some people here in Canada. People need to realize that the rights of ANY traveller at ANY time, are not what most think they are. When anyone travels, they are responsible for THEMSELVES once they leave Canada. Our government has very little responsibility for what happens to us in another country and by LAW, those are clearly defined. There is no LAW that says anyone has a right to expect to be repatriated.

I have sympathy for those who want to return but cannot, however it does not give them the RIGHT to hide symptoms in order to get on a plane. When they say, 'It's the only way I can get home', they need to be told they have no RIGHT to get home and the health of OTHERS is more important than the individual. When someone chooses to be in another country, they are responsible for themselves and the consequences of their decision to travel to anywhere.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
I am probably out here shouting only to myself. BUT CMF here goes ......................................
Nortel'd, while your efforts are quite complete, I would say your original objective was flawed. You appear to have started from the objective of, 'How can I go shopping for groceries and protect myself from the virus as completely as possible?' You have come up with quite a detailed plan for that.

However, what if you change the original objective to, 'How can I get groceries into my home and protect myself from the virus as completely as possible?' Different objective, different answer perhaps.

I can stay at home and order groceries delivered from my local supermarket. While in some locations, delivery times are perhaps as much as 10 days from order, it is not that difficult to plan even 10 days ahead in regards to what you will need to order. Pretty much all supermarkets are now delivering and only the most remote locations will not now have such service available. If you do that, there is no need for most of the precautions you are now taking.

When the groceries are delivered to your door, you can still wear gloves, disinfect each item as you unpack it, dispose of the gloves etc. and then give your hands a good washing. In other words, only the final steps are needed.

I need to go for groceries is OLD thinking. I need groceries DELIVERED is current thinking.

·
Registered
4,340 Posts
^ Unless you're sick, disabled, or under mandated quarantine or live in the boondocks, I don't see why you can't go to the "supermarket" to buy your "necessities" and follow the "social distancing" to mitigate your risk of catching the virus. Right now, retailers (particularly grocers)' online delivery systems is overloaded and the waiting period to get your "foods" is like a week. Now if you don't mind or can wait that long, then ... by all means.

·
Registered
11,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,199 (Edited)
Not much point for people to sub-contract as temporary delivery drivers when they can sit at home and collect $2000 a month.

Everyone wants drivers, but nobody wants to supply the vehicles or pay the expenses plus a decent wage.

Interesting that Uber has fought against having their drivers considered as employees since their inception.

Now they want the government to identify the drivers as employees so Uber can access government funds to keep their drivers on the payroll.

Otherwise the drivers are going somewhere else and Uber has no business model.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
The media are not focusing enough on what people are doing wrong. Instead we get 'cutesy' stories about how a family is spending their time in isolation, etc.

There are IMPORTANT messages they could be getting out to the public with their airtime. For example, I have learned that people are still showing up at our local hospital ER department when they think they may have the virus. This means, hospital staff are having to use up PPE, masks etc. when dealing with these people.

The message to not go to ER was being told several weeks ago and is no longer 'news' it appears. If someone has symptoms, the first thing they should be doing is making a phone call. Either to their doctor or Public Health. They will then be directed based on that conversation as to what they should do next. In most cases, unless the person is older or has underlying medical conditions, the advice will be to self-isolate unless their symptoms become severe.

In some cases, they will be told to go to a Assessment Centre. In our area, that is right across the street from the local hospital. Again, it is not for people who have no real symptoms and people should only be going their AFTER having had a phone consultation with their doctor or Public Health who will advise them if they should go to an Assessment Centre.

The media should be explaining this to people REPEATEDLY until people get the message clearly understood in their minds. What do they expect the hospital to do for them anyway? There is no cure, there is no vaccine. There is nothing a hospital can do for them unless they are at the point of serious issues which require intubation and a ventilator to help them breath.

If you get the virus you are going to be far more comfortable at home than in a hospital bed while it runs its course, UNLESS you get to the real serious level. The media and each of us, should be spreading that message to everyone we talk to. STAY HOME.

1181 - 1200 of 1445 Posts