Canadian Money Forum banner
6761 - 6780 of 7086 Posts

·
Registered
9,326 Posts
The virus is spreading in schools. Ten new cases in schools and an outbreak reported Thursday night in our public school board.
1 case in a school isn't evidence of it spreading.
Spreading is when 1 person gives it to another person, so you need to have at least 2 people in the same school to claim it's spreading.

Sure there is COVID19 in schools, but nearly all the data shows that with masking and other measures the spread in schools is less than in the general population.

The question is if you're trolling, or simply blinded by your agenda, whatever it is.

·
Registered
17,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6,762 ·
First paragraph in the article.

The number of new COVID-19 cases reported in Thames Valley schools jumped up significantly on Thursday.

In a release issued by the Thames Valley District School Board late Thursday evening, a total of 10 schools in the London-area reported one or more new cases of COVID-19, and one school declared an outbreak.

·
Registered
3,594 Posts
In Alberta the contact tracers say parents don't want to tell the schools when their kids are sick.

There has been very little follow up contact tracing going on, perpetuating the spread of the infection.

The Alberta government is trying to ramp up contact tracing again.

I wonder if we have the same information deficit in Ontario, because I doubt our kids are any different than in Alberta.
, the boards and schools asked parents to voluntarily report cases.
She said she doesn't feel like her work is helping to slow the spread of COVID-19, because contact tracers no longer notify close contacts to ensure they don't spread the virus.

"I have had parents tell me they won't be telling schools … they don't want their kids to be ostracized.

"It's not something that parents should be doing. It should be something that people who are trained should be doing. But it's not."

You be missing the context in Alberta and misinterpreting the article and focusing on the wrong parts.

Alberta got rid or all contact tracing in the summer (stupid idea). For schools, the boards and schools asked parents to voluntarily report cases. since the beginning, there has been a hesitancy from many people to volunteer this information. The line you bolded HAS ALWAS BEEN THE CASE . It should not be up to the individual to be forced in a position to disclose their medical history.

The point of the article is to highlight that now they brought back contact tracing in Alberta, the tracers are understaffed and the workload is too much try and catch up. The point isn’t that parents dont want to disclose, this is not news.

Alos, again, there is still very little evidence that the cases are spread in school. Kids are more likely to get it from friends at private gatherings or upside of school activities. In school, there has been very limited spread. Unvaccinated grades are still coherted, socially distanced, wear masks, and if there are any symptom sent home. Its usually the after school gatherings.

Before the vaccine mandate, I would have even said sports and after curricular acticities could be a problem. Now, most of the activities that have any indoor component is even requiring 12+ to get vaccinated to get into the building. So anti vaxxer parents are faced with pulling their kids out of activities they love and not being able to watch or getting vaccinated. sthis wa sjust a side note on how kids are not necessarily the culprits to spread.

·
Registered
3,594 Posts

The number of new COVID-19 cases reported in Thames Valley schools jumped up significantly on Thursday.

In a release issued by the Thames Valley District School Board late Thursday evening, a total of 10 schools in the London-area reported one or more new cases of COVID-19, and one school declared an outbreak.
just because there are a number of new places reported at the school, doesn’t mean it spread there. Last year, the three high schools near me ended up with an 10-20 cases each. It wasn’t spread in the school, it was because some stupid kid had a party with 140 kids there, and there were almost 70 cases that came from that party and then went to school. There was no further or minimal spread becuase they ended up send in the classes on line.

·
Registered
9,326 Posts

The number of pokemon cards at Thames Valley schools jumped up significantly over the last month.

That doesn't mean the pokemon cards are breeding at the school.
Like the link I posted, most of the schools only had a single case, if there is only 1 case at the ENTIRE school, maybe the logical assumption is they caught COVID someplace other than the school?

·
Registered
17,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6,767 · (Edited)
The number of children infected and in the hospitals is rising in Saskatchewan. The virus is being transmitted there in schools.

Saskatchewan NDP education critic Carla Beck pointed to the record-high pediatric hospitalizations and accused Premier Scott Moe and Education Minister Dustin Duncan of minimizing the risk COVID-19 poses to children.

“With a record number of kids in our hospitals today, it’s clear that they’re not safe,” Beck told reporters during a Friday news conference.

She also pointed to the COVID-19 transmission happening in schools, which Shahab attributed earlier this week to 23 per cent of all school-aged cases.

·
Registered
17,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6,768 ·
Trudeau is sending some military to Saskatchewan to help out in the ICU's.

·
Registered
9,326 Posts
The number of children infected and in the hospitals is rising in Saskatchewan. The virus is being transmitted there in schools.
Maybe because they just introduced a mask mandate a month ago?

I'm not surprised having kids, sit for hours, unmasked, in classrooms spread COVID19.
Wearing masks is the single most effective preventative action we can take, and everyone (except Dr Tam) knew this from the beginning.

As I've said before, and the CDC says, and Ontario testing shows, kids at schools, wearing masks etc aren't spreading COVID.

But kids who aren't wearing masks, and ignoring the other measures (ie large parties) are spreading COVID19.

I understand you don't want kids in schools, but the data, from the beginning, has shown that masked kids in schools, following proper protocols have some of the lowest rates of COVID19, often at lower rates than the surrounding population.

·
Registered
17,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6,770 ·
The kids in Ontario remove their masks to eat lunch and I am sure at other times during the day.

The Delta variants is too infectious to count on masking and minor distancing (if that happens at all).

Besides, unless the kids are wearing N95 masks, the virus penetrates masks easily.

As the kids are locked inside over the winter, I have no doubt the virus will spread more rapidly in schools.

It is an airborne infection that travels in the air currents, and there is no way to stop that in a small closed space.

We closed the schools, opened the schools, closed the schools, opened the schools..........and learned nothing from it.

·
Registered
9,326 Posts
The kids in Ontario remove their masks to eat lunch and I am sure at other times during the day.

The Delta variants is too infectious to count on masking and minor distancing (if that happens at all).

Besides, unless the kids are wearing N95 masks, the virus penetrates masks easily.

As the kids are locked inside over the winter, I have no doubt the virus will spread more rapidly in schools.

It is an airborne infection that travels in the air currents, and there is no way to stop that in a small closed space.

We closed the schools, opened the schools, closed the schools, opened the schools..........and learned nothing from it.

Can you show any reputable data that kids are spreading COVID19 at schools at higher rates?

All the data suggests that kids in schools, wearing masks, have lower rates of COVID than the general population.

You have no doubt it will spread more rapidly, but no data to support this.

I get it, you have an opinion, and no amount of data from Public health or the CDC is going to change your mind.

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
My sense in ontario is that people are treating Covid like it’s over, or at the very least, they’ve decided to live with it.

high vaccine rates, schools open for 2 months, tens of thousands at baseball and hockey games, thanksgiving………….and cases are still falling.

lucky? Naive?

·
Registered
7,493 Posts
My sense in ontario is that people are treating Covid like it’s over, or at the very least, they’ve decided to live with it.
... yesterday night out walking around the chic neighbourhoods showed the case of first scenario.

high vaccine rates, schools open for 2 months, tens of thousands at baseball and hockey games, thanksgiving………….and cases are still falling.

lucky? Naive?
... both.

Lucky in the sense the sensible people are using all the tools available to tackle the same variants.

Naive if the a new deadlier variant comes about into town.

·
Registered
9,326 Posts

lucky? Naive?
I think Ontario is lucky right now.

Also Sask loosened restrictions too early IMO. Ontario has been all students in masks since they went back to school, I have no idea why Sask wasn't.

Also many kids want to keep the masks, or they're at least okay with them, they're used to them and don't see a big problem.

·
Registered
17,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6,775 ·
We have more "multiple" cases and an outbreak in local schools.

Several students in Ingersoll and London are being told to stay home next week after multiple cases of COVID-19 were identified at two local schools.
The Thames Valley District School Board announced on Saturday that cases of the virus had been detected at Clara Brenton Public School and Harrisfield Public School. There are currently two active cases at each school and an outbreak has been declared at Harrisfield.

·
Registered
9,326 Posts
We have more "multiple" cases and an outbreak in local schools.

Several students in Ingersoll and London are being told to stay home next week after multiple cases of COVID-19 were identified at two local schools.
The Thames Valley District School Board announced on Saturday that cases of the virus had been detected at Clara Brenton Public School and Harrisfield Public School. There are currently two active cases at each school and an outbreak has been declared at Harrisfield.

By "multiple" cases they mean 2 cases at each school.
Out of nearly 75k students, they have a handful of cases, and 2 school outbreaks.

Also remember these kids are likely not vaccinated.

You're really sensationalizing the situation.

·
Registered
17,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6,777 ·
You should call up the school and health boards and tell them what the definition of an outbreak should be.

I am sure they would be interested to hear your unqualified opinion.

·
Registered
9,326 Posts
You should call up the school and health boards and tell them what the definition of an outbreak should be.

I am sure they would be interested to hear your unqualified opinion.
You're the one acting like there is a serious problem.

Oh no, out of 75 thousand kids and a hundred schools, there were 2 schools where 2 kids had COVID.
This isn't a big deal, students (vaccinated and not vaccinated) are getting COVID at lower rates than the surrounding population. This is true pretty much everywhere kids are in schools wearing masks.

Being a kid in school is one of the safest situations.

Wash your hands, wear your mask, and your protection is pretty good, get vaccinated, it's even better.

I don't even know what your point or goal is.
Keep kids home, get them out of schools and put them in higher risk situations?

·
Registered
17,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6,779 ·
6761 - 6780 of 7086 Posts