Canadian Money Forum banner
6561 - 6580 of 6793 Posts

·
Registered
8,992 Posts
^ Solutions depend on where the party was held. On campus, then it's the university's responsibility (ie. plans should have already been in place) on how to deal with the nonsense regardless of Covid's presence.

On private rental property, then it's the party's organizer + landlord. Police + bylaw charges on both parties should straighten them out.
Since the landlord is legally prohibited from controlling the tenants behavior, how do you justify holding them liable?

The housing situation keeps getting worse, and part of it is people like you wanting landlords to keep taking responsibility.

·
Registered
8,992 Posts
We need to get tough on the people age 50 or older who have not vaccinated yet. If we can get that one group to vaccinate the danger from these "people enjoying their life" events diminishes greatly.
We will "get tough", 2-3% of them will die to COVID.

Say what you want, but the death penalty for stupid is one of the few things they haven't been able to ban yet.

·
Registered
7,145 Posts
Since the landlord is legally prohibited from controlling the tenants behavior, how do you justify holding them liable?

The housing situation keeps getting worse, and part of it is people like you wanting landlords to keep taking responsibility.
^ Simple question & answer for you: Do you like to live next to Animal House?

Add: And it's people like you who encourages these animals to use their RESP monies wisely to support scum landlords in disguise on justifying that the housing situation getting worst.

"Responsible" landlords do not want to rent to these animals.

·
Registered
16,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6,564 · (Edited)
The people who get covid and die, may not be the students. It could someone they come into contact with in the days following.

Students live all over the city, take public transit, shop at grocery stores........and clog up our hospital emergency rooms.

Post secondary education isn't a right, so send them home.

·
Registered
7,145 Posts
^ Doesn't the university have a vaccine mandate in the first place? If so, then the Covid risk (spread, ICU, etc.) should be tempered.

As for the private rental, that's a whole different story. For one, the Animal House will be sharing amongst themselves.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Any evidence for the 5% number ?

It seems to me that the % of serious symptoms appears a lot higher among un-vaccinated people.

They are filling up ICU units.

Font Electric blue Publication Document Screenshot

41% of Democrats believe you have over 50% chance of hospitalizations 😂😂

·
Registered
2,550 Posts

View attachment 22210

41% of Democrats believe you have over 50% chance of hospitalizations 😂😂
Too bad that's old news, given that delta is about twice as likely to hospitalize.

Hospital admission and emergency care attendance risk for SARS-CoV-2 delta (B.1.617.2) compared with alpha (B.1.1.7) variants of concern: a cohort study]

Of course with higher amounts of vaccinated population, overall that should decrease, but still an issue with unvaccinated.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
So multiply that number by 2.....
The fact is that over 91% of media reports are fear-mongering and it works. Over 75% of population vastly overestimates risk, and over 40% of Democrats think probability of hospitalization is over 50%. And that's after 20 months of data clearly showing otherwise

·
Registered
4,280 Posts
We will "get tough", 2-3% of them will die to COVID.

Say what you want, but the death penalty for stupid is one of the few things they haven't been able to ban yet.
That does not help us because they tend to always swing by our hospitals, for too long of visit, before they punch out.

What I am saying, is you can implement child vaccines. You can put masks on everyone going to church. You can work from home. You can do whatever you want but until our citizens, age 50 or older are vaccinated, we are all stuck in this pandemic stalemate. Once they vaccinate we can start to move on.

We need to get that message out. We need this specific group to understand that until they vaccinate nothing changes for anyone. We are all just waiting. We need all their friends and family to understand that until these people vaccinate our freedoms, our schools and our businesses, will always be in jeopardy.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
So multiply that number by 2.....
The fact is that over 91% of media reports are fear-mongering and it works. Over 75% of population vastly overestimates risk, and over 40% of Democrats think probability of hospitalization is over 50%. And that's after 20 months of data clearly showing otherwise
And that over estimate of risk is what is driving democrats to vaccinate and believe in the higher effectiveness of the vaccine.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
We need to get that message out. We need this specific group to understand that until they vaccinate nothing changes for anyone. We are all just waiting. We need all their friends and family to understand that until these people vaccinate our freedoms, our schools and our businesses, will always be in jeopardy.
I'm sorry, the message is out there and has been for the past year since vaccines came into the picture. They just aren't buying it and there is little that will change their minds. The only stick that is left is the vaccine passports. We know there was an uptick in first doses when these were announced, but right now, pretty much all the low-hanging fruit has been picked and all we have left are the people who aren't going to vaccinate no matter what is said.

I recall a news interview with a doctor who said that despite all their efforts to treat some patients, they still believed that they didn't have covid and that the doctors are the ones that gave it to them. With people like that, I couldn't imagine being a health care worker.

·
Registered
4,280 Posts
I'm sorry, the message is out there and has been for the past year since vaccines came into the picture. They just aren't buying it and there is little that will change their minds. The only stick that is left is the vaccine passports. We know there was an uptick in first doses when these were announced, but right now, pretty much all the low-hanging fruit has been picked and all we have left are the people who aren't going to vaccinate no matter what is said.

I recall a news interview with a doctor who said that despite all their efforts to treat some patients, they still believed that they didn't have covid and that the doctors are the ones that gave it to them. With people like that, I couldn't imagine being a health care worker.
I disagree. The message is out that everyone should vaccinate and now everyone is waiting for others to do something about it. We need to focus that message where it is imperative. Most people do not understand what is at stake.

A simple message. You show Canadians the ICU numbers from Alberta and Saskatchewan that are currently causing their problems. You subtract out the unvaccinated people, age 50 or older and ask a simple question. What do we have without that group in the hospitals and ICUs. We have two provinces continuing to move forward, away from this pandemic. But, because of this specific group of citizens, Alberta and Saskatchewan are now currently back in full covid retreat.

Canadians are not getting that message. The unvaccinated need to hear it and just as importantly, their friends and family need to know who precisely is to blame. It is not Kenney or Moe. It is unvaccinated citizens, age 50 or older currently causing our problems. Everyone needs to know this. So far they have been getting the wrong message. We need to correct that and and we need to do it now.

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
I disagree. The message is out that everyone should vaccinate and now everyone is waiting for others to do something about it. We need to focus that message where it is imperative. Most people do not understand what is at stake.
I agree with bgc. By now, the anti-vaxxers are hardened in their position. The more anyone tries to push them, the more they push back. I know one 55-year-old who just this past week took a course so he can buy a gun, for the first time in his life. Why? Because he believes that government might try to round up the unvaccinated and force them to be vaccinated or sent to camps for the unvaccinated. He intends to kill anyone who tries to force him to do anything. He has not said the words that he will kill. But that's his plain message. He is arming himself to stand ready to fight for his belief. Sounds a bit like he's talking of being prepared to kill. Is he a nut case? Sure. Just typical of the anti-tax crowd. Do you think any of them will listen to reason?

·
Registered
4,280 Posts
We are not going to get them all to vaccinate. I know that, but I suspect we can reduce the number by at least half if we can get people to stop catering to them and start talking to them properly. This has nothing to do with their beef with vaccination. It has to do with everyone, including them, being able to move forward. They have not got that message, nor have their friends and family.

After the message goes out, we need to apply more pressure. More vaccine passport restrictions. No hair salons. No church. All curbside pickup including liquor and beer stores. Etc. Let them know it won't stop, because it can't stop. It's not our fault it is theirs.

As for the guy with the gun. That's fine. We knew we had guys like that in our society. It is why we have a police force. Vaccination is not his problem. I am sure his problem is much deeper then that.

Anyway, I have pointed out the solution. Everything else is just a delay, at least until this specific group gets infected.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts

A simple message. You show Canadians the ICU numbers from Alberta and Saskatchewan that are currently causing their problems. You subtract out the unvaccinated people, age 50 or older and ask a simple question. What do we have without that group in the hospitals and ICUs. We have two provinces continuing to move forward, away from this pandemic. But, because of this specific group of citizens, Alberta and Saskatchewan are now currently back in full covid retreat.

Canadians are not getting that message. The unvaccinated need to hear it and just as importantly, their friends and family need to know who precisely is to blame. It is not Kenney or Moe. It is unvaccinated citizens, age 50 or older currently causing our problems. Everyone needs to know this. So far they have been getting the wrong message. We need to correct that and and we need to do it now.
Quite frankly, they don't care. That is the issue. A lot just don't trust the government and official news sources so no matter how many facts and figures you provide, they're just going to ignore it and stubbornly stick to their position. This isn't new, we've seen this in the US with Trump. It's not about facts, it's about emotions. At this point they're so dug into their position it is part of their personality and being, so they CAN'T psychologically change.

You don't think they see the same numbers we do and think there is an issue? Just look at this forum, there are people defending Alberta's response and think that the whole health care crisis is made up. Others think that the AHS is making up the situation just to make Kenney look bad. That's how out of touch people are. You can't reason with these people because their viewpoints are literally part of their personality. It's all emotional, not based on rational thought.

There are some that have legitimate concerns about safety, but those are the few that could and probably are convinced to vaccinate, at this point. However, there's probably a 10-15% core that aren't going to change their position.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
And that over estimate of risk is what is driving democrats to vaccinate and believe in the higher effectiveness of the vaccine.
Yeah, it also spreads fear, anxiety, and shows how people ignore science.
Here is actual science:
99.99% survival rate for those under 50.
99.1% survival rate for entire population
4.3% hospitalization rate for entire population
1.7% hospitalization rate for those under 50

Of course that is under assumption that all cases were actually discovered, which we know is not the case so the denominator should be higher (don't know by what factor so not going to apply any corrections to ACTUAL DATA)

Facts are important.
And those facts still show that vaccination is beneficial.
I will repeat though - facts are important.

·
Registered
4,280 Posts
Quite frankly, they don't care. That is the issue. A lot just don't trust the government and official news sources so no matter how many facts and figures you provide, they're just going to ignore it and stubbornly stick to their position.
The facts and figures are probably more for their friends and family.

Right now those people are just saying "well Joe has always been a little stubborn" or some other dismissive comment. But they are still inviting Joe to their social gatherings, because he is a close friend or part of the family. When they start understanding that it is NOT Jason Kenney that caused Alberta hospitals to start flying people halfway across the country for medical care and jeopardize our hospitals for everyone. It is people like Joe that caused this.

We need those social gatherings to start to get just a little colder for Joe. A little more annoying. Listen I have met the Joe's of this world. They are not the brightest knives in the drawer, but everyone of them that eventually gets vaccinated, for whatever reason we or they come up with, gets us closer to ending this pandemic. And every time we get distracted by something else, Joe escapes the scrutiny he so desperately deserves.

We need to start shining bright lights on these people. 5 weeks ago in Ontario, there were over 700,000 unvaccinated people older then 49. Last week there were 501,000 left. Today we have around 478,000. That is a pretty small number of people holding us all hostage and terrifying our businesses because they don't know what restriction these people will cause next. How many people do we let Joe hurt before we start sending a little more of the pain back?

·
Registered
4,280 Posts
It is a very simple message:

"If you want to participate in society, you have to participate all the way. You cannot have everything going just in your own direction. Sometimes you will be asked to help out. This is one of those times. If you are age 50 or older, we need you vaccinate".

·
Registered
561 Posts

I agree. I do note that the vaccination rates did jump once they initiated vaccine passports. I don't know if this has significantly increased the number of people fully vaccinated.

6561 - 6580 of 6793 Posts