Canadian Money Forum banner

41 - 60 of 2424 Posts

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
^ I'm guessing (and hope) this episode is shorter. And that they merge with the regular known flu viruses that're available all year round.

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
Other news....

Russia closed it's border with China.

Hong Kong closed the bridge to China.

A cruise ship with 6,000 passengers is quarantined off the coast of Italy.

The virus is infecting family members and health care workers. It appears to be spreading faster than previously thought.

Isolation will slow down the virus but won't stop it entirely. There are too many holes in the system as the world needs to continue to operate even if the virus is spreading.

The good news is that several research labs said they have found a vaccine. Unfortunately it will take months of human testing before it can be released.
... the testings on the cruise ship came back negative according to the latest.

As for finding a vaccine, I don't think it'll make a difference if some (many) people won't even consider the regular (seasonal) flu shots.

·
Registered
12,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
I am surprised the tested 6,000 people so quickly. That is efficient and impressive by whomever performed the testing.

They said today there is an incubation period of 14 days. Can we assume that testing would show a positive result even during the incubation period ?

The CNN reporter on the ground in China, says the government is not telling the public everything. They are trying to stop information from flowing out on social media.

He interviewed a nurse in a hospital and she said 30 of her colleague health care workers became infected despite taking all the precautions. Some are in hospital and others are home.

It was also reported that medical supplies and additional doctors are kept on the periphery areas and not getting through to where they are needed.

A bit of good news is they have almost completed the 2 new hospitals already. They put all resources available into getting the hospitals built.

One can't help but wonder what the Chinese know and aren't telling the world. Many countries have stopped all direct flights from China.

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
^ Maybe ignorance is bliss here or would you prefer mass pandemonium?

Besides, I don't think any "government (including ours)" would reveal the "truth(s)" anyways. Or what's that alternative keyword? Transparency, transparent, transpantsy ... ????

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
Well it looks like the seafood market was not ground zero for the virus...some speculation that China was experimenting with the virus & it got out of the lab.
Provide a credible link to back up that statement Eder. I consider it to be yet another example of totally unsubstantiated rumour otherwise. It is this kind of statement found online that causes the confusion and fear in people. You are stating a CONSPIRACY theory, back it up or back off.

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
I am surprised the tested 6,000 people so quickly. That is efficient and impressive by whomever performed the testing.
They tested the 2 people suspected of having the virus sags, not all 6000 on the ship. That would indeed have been impressive.

·
Registered
3,798 Posts
Provide a credible link to back up that statement Eder. I consider it to be yet another example of totally unsubstantiated rumour otherwise. It is this kind of statement found online that causes the confusion and fear in people. You are stating a CONSPIRACY theory, back it up or back off.
Did you even bother to view the video of the US senator I posted? Obviously you didn't.
And please learn to use the internet for yourself.

·
Registered
3,348 Posts
The government says don't watch or listen to social media. They will tell us all we need to know.

Except if you want updates in if your kids school is closed due to the strike you need to check social media.
Or if you want updates on the 10 km pickering issue, social media.
Of course they're also working to figure out how to block or censor social media.

·
Registered
3,348 Posts
2009 H1N1 Swine Flu was likely in Mexico, though interestingly it is genetically similar to several asian virii.

The really important thing is that we're getting much better at understanding how to react.

Finally 9gag isn't my first choice for scientific claims.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
We did not make a decision about where to spend the winter until mid Jan for family reasons. Our choices came down to Thailand where we have been going for the past six years or Mexico.

It was a coin toss but a single 5 hour flight instead of 23 hour and two connections was a factor. We are In our Merida hotel enjoying a cold beer thinking about how thankful we are that we did not select two months in Asia!

·
Registered
16,624 Posts
We did not make a decision about where to spend the winter until mid Jan for family reasons. Our choices came down to Thailand where we have been going for the past six years or Mexico.

It was a coin toss but a single 5 hour flight instead of 23 hour and two connections was a factor. We are In our Merida hotel enjoying a cold beer thinking about how thankful we are that we did not select two months in Asia!
Great move, ian. Certainly lucky!

·
Registered
3,798 Posts

Finally 9gag isn't my first choice for scientific claims.
It was an interesting list that I could only find there for some reason. I'm not claiming anything scientific,or for that matter anything at all , only amusing myself.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Even Macau and Hong Kong have travel restrictions for incoming travel from Wuhan, even for those showing no symptoms. Anyone knows what is the status in Canada?

·
Registered
16,624 Posts
A friend of mine is trying to get from the US to Indonesia, but was going to fly through Hong Kong. His airline has cancelled the HK flight as apparently it's not just flights to China, but also many flights to HK being cancelled now (American Airlines).

There is definitely going to be an economic impact with flights from North America to Hong Kong stopping.

·
Registered
12,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
The first case in London, Ontario.

Apparently, she is a student at Western University and returned back to Canada from China. She showed no symptoms on the flight but started feeling ill and went to the hospital.

The first test came back negative (local test) and the second test (national lab) came back positive. She was on self quarantine.

Now the question is that despite all the assurances from health officials, people on the flight may have been exposed and certainly people in the hospital were.

Patients in the emergency room, nurses, doctors, clerks, diagnostic techs, housekeeping. She also lives with a boyfriend but they say he wore a mask.

This is exactly how the virus could spread. People still go to the infected country and bring it back with them.

We should shut down the border to Chinese arrivals until the epidemic is over.

https://www.reddit.com/r/londonontario/comments/ewsney/coronavirus_case_confirmed_in_patient_from_london/

·
Registered
3,348 Posts
The first case in London, Ontario.

Apparently, she is a student at Western University and returned back to Canada from China. She showed no symptoms on the flight but started feeling ill and went to the hospital.

The first test came back negative (local test) and the second test (national lab) came back positive. She was on self quarantine.

Now the question is that despite all the assurances from health officials, people on the flight may have been exposed and certainly people in the hospital were.

Patients in the emergency room, nurses, doctors, clerks, diagnostic techs, housekeeping. She also lives with a boyfriend but they say he wore a mask.

This is exactly how the virus could spread. People still go to the infected country and bring it back with them.

We should shut down the border to Chinese arrivals until the epidemic is over.

https://www.reddit.com/r/londonontario/comments/ewsney/coronavirus_case_confirmed_in_patient_from_london/
I'm more concerned with the flu, in Canada half the ICU cases die, and there are over 8000 deaths in the US.
Why can't people wash their hands.

41 - 60 of 2424 Posts