Canadian Money Forum banner
5361 - 5380 of 5556 Posts

·
Registered
6,609 Posts
^ The 2nd link is good to know, encouraging, and supportive action.

·
Registered
536 Posts
A couple interesting news items.

BC may have under-reported pandemic deaths with possibly 1700 more deaths last year than reported.

and

Canada launches first national vaccine injury program, which offers compensation to those with serious vaccine side effects (including death)
Not really interesting news. I have been saying and providing those statistics for months. And vast majority of those excess deaths are among people under 40.
Lockdowns kill people. In BC lockdowns killed more people than COVID did, as evident by amount of excess deaths and age distribution of those. And that's not even accounting for overdoses, which spike is also caused by lockdowns.

Governments killed its own citizens.

·
Registered
21,098 Posts
Bloomberg front page story says that US covid cases are up 47% for the last week, the largest weekly rise since the start of the pandemic. Since dumb Americans refuse to be cautious, all we can hope now is that fewer people die than in earlier waves.

As Canadians we also have to hope that the vaccines protect us but personally I would prefer a strategy that did not put all its faith in one single measure (vaccines). At this stage of the game, we should be maintaining strict masking rules across Canada and also preventing large gatherings.

Confirmed cases of Covid-19 in the U.S. soared 47% to 136,351 in the week ended Sunday, data compiled by Johns Hopkins University and Bloomberg show. The largest weekly rise since April 2020 comes as the highly contagious delta variant spreads in the country amid declining vaccination rates. The death toll for the period ticked up to 1,629.

While last week’s figures are a fraction of the weekly numbers during the winter, about half of Americans remain unvaccinated, slowing the battle against the virus. The U.S. has administered 334 million doses of vaccine, enough to cover about 52% of residents, according to the Bloomberg Vaccine Tracker.

·
Registered
21,098 Posts
Just wait until end of the week for an update.
It takes longer than that. If the exposure happens today, sickness might appear within a week. And people only seek care when they are quite ill, so that could mean another +2 weeks. And then there's an additional reporting delay of +1 week.

From the last year of the pandemic we've often seen about a 4 week delay ... exposure event to eventual reporting in the media.

·
Registered
6,609 Posts
^ Even with the Delta variant? Heard it only takes 5 days for symptoms to show up.

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
^ It would be a miracle if no one got infected after this event in TO. England and Italy fans fill patios as teams battle for Euro 2020 final

Just wait until end of the week for an update.
I think we need to shift in our thinking in terms of infections especially with vaccinations. Even with the variants, there is protection from the vaccinations. The vaccinations server two fold: 1. REDUCE transmission either by reducing the viral load of the person infected, or if you do get exposed, your body fights off the virus 2. If you do get get sick, reducing severe outcomes.

We are nearing the point, depending your province, that we must learn how to deal with the virus. Its not going away, but hopefully there will be less people getting it, and more importantly, those that do won't have as many severe outcomes. It will be interesting in a few weeks time as James said on what the impact on hospitalization.

·
Registered
6,609 Posts
I think we need to shift in our thinking in terms of infections especially with vaccinations. Even with the variants, there is protection from the vaccinations. The vaccinations server two fold: 1. REDUCE transmission either by reducing the viral load of the person infected, or if you do get exposed, your body fights off the virus 2. If you do get get sick, reducing severe outcomes.
... yes, we (with some exceptions) should have faith in the vaccines. However, this does not stop the transmission/infection to others. Ie. the virus is going to get shared and if one is not vaccinated or fully vaccinated, then there's going to be a problem.

We are nearing the point, depending your province, that we must learn how to deal with the virus. Its not going away, but hopefully there will be less people getting it, and more importantly, those that do won't have as many severe outcomes. It will be interesting in a few weeks time as James said on what the impact on hospitalization.
... yes, let's see. Hopefully the infection rate + hospitalisation trends down despite emerging variants.

·
Registered
6,609 Posts
^ Those churches sure have alot of money to go hiring a private investigator solely for the purpose of monitoring a judge's movement on Covid restrictions, nothing to say about retaining its own lawyer. When those funds can be better spent elsewhere. I wonder if the parishers are in agreement with this kind of spending. Sheesh.

·
Registered
15,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5,372 ·
Are the vaccines effective against severe symptoms of the variants ? Pfizer and Moderna say we already need a booster shot.

I think it is inevitable that we will screw around until a variant pops up that renders the vaccines useless.

What we really need is a good treatment for when people get infected, but we have never had a good treatment for viruses.

·
Registered
21,098 Posts
^ Those churches sure have alot of money to go hiring a private investigator solely for the purpose of monitoring a judge's movement on Covid restrictions, nothing to say about retaining its own lawyer. When those funds can be better spent elsewhere. I wonder if the parishers are in agreement with this kind of spending. Sheesh.
It's more than churches. I'll post a new thread. This is a conservative think tank which makes a habit of intimidating public officials.

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Here's a little covid simulation game. Gives you the chance to make the decisions for the country to balance out deaths, economic prosperity, vaccinations. The goal is to achieve herd immunity. A fun little timewaster I guess.

·
Registered
21,098 Posts
It will be interesting in a few weeks time as James said on what the impact on hospitalization.
Hopefully we see steady levels of hospitalizations, and not an increase in the severe outcomes. We can learn this by watching the UK, Israel and US. Keep in mind that the US now has growing transmission and cases as well.

Let's hope that the vaccine is 'catching' all of these.

Personally I still think the superior approach is multi faceted, to not depend solely on vaccines. I think it's a policy mistake to depend only on vaccines because it's really putting all your eggs in one basket. If a new variant comes and evades the vaccine, then we're all screwed.

·
Registered
6,609 Posts
^ Even an increase in hospitalizations (and not deaths) due to Covid is going to be a major problem. I wonder how long can healthcare workers such as nurses and doctors continue battling this after a year and a half ...

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
^ Even an increase in hospitalizations (and not deaths) due to Covid is going to be a major problem. I wonder how long can healthcare workers such as nurses and doctors continue battling this after a year and a half ...
Not long for some: Canadian nurses are leaving in droves, worn down by 16 merciless months on the front lines of COVID-19

Problem has always been understaffing, so with increased workload and maintaining the same staffing isn't going to work for very long. I can't really blame them either.

5361 - 5380 of 5556 Posts