Canadian Money Forum banner

4501 - 4520 of 4526 Posts

·
Registered
3,523 Posts
Have you looked at their list? Firstly, they issued this a long time ago, it wasn't like it was last week. Secondly, the list of countries they recommend avoiding due to covid is HUGE. It is by far the largest category.
Yeah, I don't really care about the other countries on their advisory, but I saw a few stories yesterday with this as the headline including NBC or this article yesterday that said specifically not to fly into Pearson. I checked at CDC to be sure and I saw it as the number one listed article.

ltr

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
Yeah, I don't really care about the other countries on their advisory, but I saw a few stories yesterday with this as the headline including NBC or this article yesterday that said specifically not to fly into Pearson. I checked at CDC to be sure and I saw it as the number one listed article.

ltr
It's making the rounds right now as an anti-Liberals talking point. That doesn't make it valid.

The link you provided at CDC is the link to their advisory about Canada, so of course the Canada advisory is the top thing on that page. Here's the next level up in their directory structure:

United Kingdom, Switzerland, Netherlands, and many other first-world countries are on the list.

·
Registered
14,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #4,506
sags has a habit of posting unsubstantiated claims.
The faster mutations of this virus was noted already back in January 2021.

Preliminary analyses suggest these new variants are more likely to spread faster among people than other circulating SARS-CoV-2 strains. South Africa’s genomic scientists have found the new strain there can infect human cells more efficiently and is about 50% more transmissible than earlier versions. The variant in the U.K. has been found to be 56% to 70% more transmissible. It has acquired 17 mutations compared to its most recent ancestor -- a faster rate of change than scientists typically observe.

·
Registered
6,327 Posts
The faster mutations of this virus was noted already back in January 2021.

Preliminary analyses suggest these new variants are more likely to spread faster among people than other circulating SARS-CoV-2 strains. South Africa’s genomic scientists have found the new strain there can infect human cells more efficiently and is about 50% more transmissible than earlier versions. The variant in the U.K. has been found to be 56% to 70% more transmissible. It has acquired 17 mutations compared to its most recent ancestor -- a faster rate of change than scientists typically observe.

My point stands, your initial claim wasn't substantiated at the time.
We also don't know what "faster rate of change than scientists typically observe".
Are these Coronavirus experts, flu experts, epidemiologists, geologists?
We do know the relatively slow mutations of COVID19 have likley been quite beneficial.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Canada's 18+ population is ~30.0 million.
Of those 30 million, about 6.5 million have received at least one dose. That leaves 23.5 million to be vaccinated (theoretically).

Today, 250,000 doses were administered. I have no doubts we are just getting started, but even if we could only maintain that pace, the entire country would have one dose in 94 days, or by July 11, 2021.

We are almost there folks, hang on.

·
Registered
14,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #4,509
Increasing numbers of those 250,000 daily vaccinations would be for second doses due.

Is the plan to administer only 1 dose to everyone and then think about the second dose ?

·
Registered
6,327 Posts
Canada's 18+ population is ~30.0 million.
Of those 30 million, about 6.5 million have received at least one dose. That leaves 23.5 million to be vaccinated (theoretically).

Today, 250,000 doses were administered. I have no doubts we are just getting started, but even if we could only maintain that pace, the entire country would have one dose in 94 days, or by July 11, 2021.

We are almost there folks, hang on.
No that leaves approximately 30 million to be vaccinated

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
Increasing numbers of those 250,000 daily vaccinations would be for second doses due.

Is the plan to administer only 1 dose to everyone and then think about the second dose ?
There will likely be some overlap....people getting their second dose while people are still receiving their first.

btw. My appeal to get my mom who is awaiting chemo, a second dose within 3-4 was denied, even though I feel she belongs in one of the exemption groups.

·
Registered
123 Posts
There will likely be some overlap....people getting their second dose while people are still receiving their first.

btw. My appeal to get my mom who is awaiting chemo, a second dose within 3-4 was denied, even though I feel she belongs in one of the exemption groups.
Come June and July we should have a over supply of f vaccines. .The US should be finished and they can produce 5 million doses per day.

·
Registered
142 Posts
No that leaves approximately 30 million to be vaccinated
For all intents and purposes, we are done vaccinating when all eligible people have been vaccinated. When one is approved for the kids we can track that progress, although I think we'll be close to normal by then.

·
Registered
123 Posts
U.S. CDC issues 'very high' warning against all travel to Canada.

"The United States CDC issued a Level 4 or “very high” warning against all travel to Canada, stating: "Because of the current situation in Canada even fully vaccinated travellers may be at risk for getting and spreading COVID-19 variants."

ltr
not very good news . I can see 6 or 8 weeks of lockdowns and stay at home mandates. I guess we can only hope that situation goes the other way once the warmer weather shows up.

·
Registered
6,327 Posts
For all intents and purposes, we are done vaccinating when all eligible people have been vaccinated. When one is approved for the kids we can track that progress, although I think we'll be close to normal by then.
My point is that only giving half of a 2 dose vaccination isn't a vaccination.
We've basically vaccinated only a few hundred thousand people, and we don't even have a plan to vaccinate people now.
We're not even trying to do it properly.

Back to not counting kids as people, yes I know they can't vote, but as much as they're not a key voting block, they are people.

"All eligible people" is a BS limitation.
Back in Jan 2020, and March, and June and August we had "vaccinated all eligible people".
We're not ALL vaccinated, until we are ALL vaccinated.

For all intents and purposes, saying "all" when you don't mean "all" is lying.

·
Registered
142 Posts
My point is that only giving half of a 2 dose vaccination isn't a vaccination.
We've basically vaccinated only a few hundred thousand people, and we don't even have a plan to vaccinate people now.
We're not even trying to do it properly.

Back to not counting kids as people, yes I know they can't vote, but as much as they're not a key voting block, they are people.

"All eligible people" is a BS limitation.
Back in Jan 2020, and March, and June and August we had "vaccinated all eligible people".
We're not ALL vaccinated, until we are ALL vaccinated.

For all intents and purposes, saying "all" when you don't mean "all" is lying.
You're being rather confrontational over semantics. We can disagree about a subject in another thread and still be civil when we discuss a different subject, yes?

What I had meant by vaccinating was quite clearly getting everyone their first shot, which appears to give adequate protection against serious outcomes (hospitalizations and death).

I didn't count the under 18 population not because I don't think that they count as people, but rather that they are simply ineligible to be vaccinated.

We will be done with the pandemic when all eligible people have received their first dose. We will be done vaccinating when every person has received their second.

I care about the first point a whole lot more than the second. The second won't be an issue.

·
Registered
3,523 Posts
What I had meant by vaccinating was quite clearly getting everyone their first shot, which appears to give adequate protection against serious outcomes (hospitalizations and death).
And yet we have no data on how long that "adequate protection" lasts, yet Canada decides to go rogue and extend the first and second dose interval to 4 months. So it's basically an experiment. A population experiment. Don't the people in charge know how to read the instructions on a medicine bottle?

ltr

·
Registered
142 Posts
And yet we have no data on how long that "adequate protection" lasts, yet Canada decides to go rogue and extend the first and second dose interval to 4 months. So it's basically an experiment. A population experiment. Don't the people in charge know how to read the instructions on a medicine bottle?

ltr
Given the circumstances, I'm glad we're participating in this "experiment" which will likely save thousands of lives.

4501 - 4520 of 4526 Posts