Canadian Money Forum banner

4481 - 4500 of 4526 Posts

·
Registered
6,327 Posts
Viruses aren't supposed to mutate so much every few months, and now there is a "double mutation" ?
Sure they do, Coronaviruses normally mutate quite fast. We're actually quite fortunate that COVID19 is mutating relatively slowly.

I heard one scientist say he has never seen a virus mutate so much so quickly as this one is doing.
What kind of scientist? Clearly one that isn't anything close to biology.

·
Banned
10,886 Posts
My wife tells me that Western University is sending the students home after outbreaks at 9 different student residences.

She didn't know if the kids are required to leave but there will only be "online" learning for the rest of the year.
Our daughter is in Western , she got Covid UK variant in residence and 5 days ago got released from quarantine hotel ... Just talked to her yesterday, she would tell me if " the kids are required to leave ", apparently they don't
And "online" learning was there from the beginning of the year :)

·
Banned
10,886 Posts
Sure they do, Coronaviruses normally mutate quite fast. We're actually quite fortunate that COVID19 is mutating relatively slowly.

What kind of scientist? Clearly one that isn't anything close to biology.
Actually, I've read that scientists were telling that we're lucky that Covid mutates slow

·
Registered
14,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #4,485 (Edited)
I guess it is about that time when a lot of the undergraduate students are close to leaving Western for the summer, but there are some who stay and participate in lab work, research work, or work shifts in the hospital as part of their course work.

Maybe they are just 4th year and post graduates staying around. I doubt the University will boot them out, but I wonder if the school closes down all their activities, food courts and cafeteria. It is a big school campus with lots of buildings and maintenance and other staff required to keep it functioning.

·
Registered
11,153 Posts
... Viruses aren't supposed to mutate so much every few months, and now there is a "double mutation" ?
I heard one scientist say he has never seen a virus mutate so much so quickly as this one is doing ...
Odd as there are lots of articles saying the opposite.

Jul 2020 ... "More than 6 months into the pandemic, the virus’ potential to evolve in a nastier direction—or, if we’re lucky, become more benign—is unclear. In part that’s because it changes more slowly than most other viruses, giving virologists fewer mutations to study."

Feb 2021 ... "But SARS-CoV-2 and other coronaviruses are an exception to the rule. They mutate at least 4 times more slowly than influenza."

Mar 2021 ... "Mutation rates are typically higher in RNA viruses than they are in DNA viruses.
Two RNA viruses with high mutation rates that you may have heard of are human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) and influenza (flu).

SARS-CoV-2 is also an RNA virus, but it generally mutates more slowly than other RNA viruses."

I am curious as to what the scientist's qualifications were when there are so many others, some of whom have studied mutation rates for decades saying the opposite.

Cheers

PS
The BBC had a scientist who fell in love with studying the coronavirus thirty years ago so that she focused on it. She was another April 2020 source saying she figured a vaccine was likely, in part due to how slowly SARS-CoV-2 mutates.

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
Our daughter is in Western , she got Covid UK variant in residence and 5 days ago got released from quarantine hotel ... Just talked to her yesterday, she would tell me if " the kids are required to leave ", apparently they don't
And "online" learning was there from the beginning of the year :)
They aren't required but they are encouraged to leave.

·
Banned
10,886 Posts

·
Banned
10,886 Posts
Just checked on official Peel website cases by city... Mississauga has 22% more population than Brampton and almost twice less cases ! Curious why?! Demographics?!

·
Registered
3,523 Posts
I guess this is meaningless since it‘s not illegal.
I generally think people pay attention to the CDC when they issue an advisory not to travel to certain countries. It's a pretty bad situation when that occurs. Maybe there's a war, or high risk of kidnapping, or a country that can't seem to vaccinate its population against a pandemic.

When the CDC issues an advisory such as this, for me, it's somewhat embarrassing and reveals how inept our federal government is........... but you're concerned about the legality.

ltr

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
I just found it amusing that Canada has had a travel advisory for the whole planet And yet people still complain they’re forced to quarantine upon arrival.

·
Registered
6,327 Posts
I generally think people pay attention to the CDC when they issue an advisory not to travel to certain countries. It's a pretty bad situation when that occurs. Maybe there's a war, or high risk of kidnapping, or a country that can't seem to vaccinate its population against a pandemic.

When the CDC issues an advisory such as this, for me, it's somewhat embarrassing and reveals how inept our federal government is........... but you're concerned about the legality.

ltr
To be fair, the CDC can't really issue a travel advisory to the US

·
Registered
14,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #4,498 (Edited)
Odd as there are lots of articles saying the opposite.

Jul 2020 ... "More than 6 months into the pandemic, the virus’ potential to evolve in a nastier direction—or, if we’re lucky, become more benign—is unclear. In part that’s because it changes more slowly than most other viruses, giving virologists fewer mutations to study."

Feb 2021 ... "But SARS-CoV-2 and other coronaviruses are an exception to the rule. They mutate at least 4 times more slowly than influenza."

Mar 2021 ... "Mutation rates are typically higher in RNA viruses than they are in DNA viruses.
Two RNA viruses with high mutation rates that you may have heard of are human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) and influenza (flu).

SARS-CoV-2 is also an RNA virus, but it generally mutates more slowly than other RNA viruses."

I am curious as to what the scientist's qualifications were when there are so many others, some of whom have studied mutation rates for decades saying the opposite.

Cheers

PS
The BBC had a scientist who fell in love with studying the coronavirus thirty years ago so that she focused on it. She was another April 2020 source saying she figured a vaccine was likely, in part due to how slowly SARS-CoV-2 mutates.
Clearly the scientists you quoted were wrong as the real life results are pretty obvious.

The variants have become the dominant strain and there are many mutations already.

The latest is a "double mutation" that was discovered in India and is now in California.

·
Registered
6,327 Posts
Clearly the scientists you quoted were wrong as the real life results are pretty obvious.

The variants have become the dominant strain and there are many mutations already.

The latest is a "double mutation" that was discovered in India and is now in California.
Yes, it's mutating, and the variants will become the dominant strains, that's how evolution works.
We knew this, we just got really lucky that COVID mutates relatively slowly for a Coronavirus.

·
Registered
11,153 Posts
The variants have become the dominant strain and there are many mutations already ...
This confirms that mutation is happening but says nothing about how fast mutations are being spun off.

I guess you didn't notice that mutations and variants were studied last year?
There's D614G from Feb 2020 that took over as the main strain by June 2020 globally.
August 2020 had the "Cluster 5" variant that infected a mink farm then moved to humans.

If it is so obvious that covid is mutating faster than any other virus is "supposed to" in real life then please provide what should be easy to find references.
I have spent enough time finding the opposite.

Cheers

PS
Can it get anymore real life than these scientists analysing samples taken from people to see if it matches or is different than what is on record?

4481 - 4500 of 4526 Posts