Canadian Money Forum banner

21 - 40 of 2469 Posts

·
Registered
10,517 Posts
Now it's clear ... speculation and videos are more important than testing and should the source of banning products, whether they were tainted or not. :biggrin:

Makes me wonder how you can put up with beef and lettuce still being available.

Cheers

·
Registered
12,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #22 (Edited)
I think it is more than pure speculation. The Chinese closed down the market where the "food" was purchased and investigated the source of the outbreak.

The science is already clear. This type of virus is passed through animals, particularly in birds........hence the moniker "bird flu".

All of the major outbreaks of this type of dangerous virus began in China in animals or birds.

·
Registered
12,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Unfortunately it is nearly impossible to avoid food products from China, as the source of the food is often hidden from consumers.

An example is apples that are grown in China but advertised as "packaged in Canada". Why don't they package the apples in China where it is cheaper to do so ?

One reason only.........people wouldn't buy them if they knew. Lord help us if the chicken we are eating comes from China.

·
Registered
4,550 Posts
^ Well then, isn't it supposed to be somebody's job (aka government body) to be cracking down on this false marketing/packaging?

Personally, I would avoid all "imported" foods. But then I'm also taking my chances too with food these days, bought or not, imported or not.

·
Registered
12,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
One would think.......but business lobby groups are powerful.

·
Registered
16,686 Posts
Some good tips on protecting yourself from this and any other virus:
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/how-to-protect-yourself-against-coronavirus-152101500.html

“One of the smart ways to approach thinking about ‘how do you protect yourself,’ is to ask, well, when somebody here in the office has a common cold, and they’re sneezing all over the place, how do you make yourself not get the cold?” asked Garrett, the author of “The Coming Plague,” a book about emerging deadly diseases.

“Social distancing; that’s step number one. Keep your distance from other people” in order to avoid contracting or spreading an infection, Garrett told “The Final Round.” Cleanliness and personal hygiene is also of utmost concern, she added.

“For yourself, think of your hands as your number one problem: anything you touch that’s a common surface,” the author said, explaining that the same principle governs why people are discouraged from sharing utensils or cups.

“Here, in New York City, we think about the subways, we think about how we move around in the city; the answer, if you’re nervous, is wear gloves. Then take your gloves and wash them at night,” Garrett said. “If it’s socially required to shake hands, wash your hands afterwards.”​

The other important thing is to avoid touching your face. Any pathogens that get on your hands should be kept away from your face/nose/eyes. For example, rubbing your eyes is a good way to get infected with anything.

Hand sanitizer is also a good measure. If you need to touch your face or eat something, first squirt onto your hands. Rub your hands evenly as the mechanical rubbing motion helps the alcohol in the hand sanitizer kill pathogens. Check that the hand sanitizer is at least 60% ethanol.

CDC guidelines for using hand sanitizer

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
Well it looks like the seafood market was not ground zero for the virus...some speculation that China was experimenting with the virus & it got out of the lab.

·
Registered
3,369 Posts
Well it looks like the seafood market was not ground zero for the virus...some speculation that China was experimenting with the virus & it got out of the lab.
Possible, but I don't really believe it.
Though it appears more fatal than the flu, it's still way less dangerous than SARS.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Wash your gloves? That's amateur hour. Nitrile gloves, and throw them out without ever touching the outsides. And then wear a water bottle on your head with a facemask. Do that walking downtown or at an airport, and you'll also solve the 'social distancing' problem.

·
Registered
16,686 Posts
No reputable source is claiming that.

That suggestion is only circulating on conspiracy theory and tabloid web sites.

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
Hopefully the MSN is waiting for facts on this but I wouldn't hold my breath. At any rate it didn't originate at the market as originally suspected, that much we know.

·
Registered
16,686 Posts
Hopefully the MSN is waiting for facts on this but I wouldn't hold my breath. At any rate it didn't originate at the market as originally suspected, that much we know.
BBC has a good overview of the misinformation about the outbreak
https://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-trending-51271037

The original source of the virus was believed to be snakes. Now there are theories that the source may have been bats, as these animals are a common source of viruses. Bats are suspected in the origins of Ebola, SARS and MERS.

CBC previously ran this story describing how bats are frequently a source of viruses such as this one:
https://www.cbc.ca/news/health/sars-mers-coronavirus-1.5438562

"If you want to put some money on it, you'd get a bat involved," said Fauci. "SARS went from the bat to the palm civet cat to the human, and MERS went from the bat to the camel to human. I don't have any idea what the animal is for this one but I would not be surprised if a bat was involved somewhere."
The exact animal source of this one has not yet been determined.

·
Registered
4,531 Posts
Crazy times when the media somewhat downplayed corona virus as the numbers are relatively small and yet the senators and generals are concerned

Difference is there are a lot of unknowns and mostly assumptions that it behaves like a common influenza. We don't know how long the incubation period is or if infected can be asymptomatic. So much for airports screening by skin temp

Wuhan just hosted CISM a few months ago (military Olympics) I share a keyboard with a girl who competed there about a month before patient 0

·
Registered
12,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #37 (Edited)
The government says don't watch or listen to social media. They will tell us all we need to know.

Problem is that governments and main stream media are very often well behind social media in announcing news.

I often see video on social media before it is suddenly "breaking news" on CNN two days later.

Social media and the internet hosts a lot of garbage, but there are some very good sources on social media that people can aggregate for their own use.

Twitter is one I like because I can follow who I want to follow. Liveleak is an interesting website. It can't be taken as the gospel truth but should be considered.

In other words, don't count on the government to reveal everything they know. They don't want to create a full blown panic. Don't count on 100% authenticity on social media.

Some of the more interesting video is people walking around the desolate city of Wuhan. It is a huge city and hardly anyone is moving anywhere.

Transit is stopped. Food shelves remain empty. Hospitals are full and shut down.

One thing is for sure, the Chinese won't be able to maintain this quarantine forever. People need food, medicine and such.

Last I read, I think they have about 35 million people under quarantine.

·
Registered
12,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Other news....

Russia closed it's border with China.

Hong Kong closed the bridge to China.

A cruise ship with 6,000 passengers is quarantined off the coast of Italy.

The virus is infecting family members and health care workers. It appears to be spreading faster than previously thought.

Isolation will slow down the virus but won't stop it entirely. There are too many holes in the system as the world needs to continue to operate even if the virus is spreading.

The good news is that several research labs said they have found a vaccine. Unfortunately it will take months of human testing before it can be released.

·
Registered
12,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #39 (Edited)
I am amazed that our local health officials have the gumption to stand in front of the news cameras and say they are well positioned.

Sure they are. In normal times, they have people lined up in hallways and shoved into coat rooms because they have no available beds.

21 - 40 of 2469 Posts