Canadian Money Forum banner

3741 - 3760 of 3813 Posts

·
Registered
5,426 Posts
I've got a novel idea that no one seems to have thought of. Why not vaccinate everyone? The government and everyone else spend so much time on all these precautions when they could spend time vaccinating people. How about those 70,000 COVID tests Ontario does every day - why not just replace that with vaccinating those people instead. They're already standing in line.

ltr
... I got an idea too ... we should all either sit and pick our nose at home, or just totally ignore public health guidelines to not social distance, not wear masks, not wash hands, etc. whilst waiting for the vaccines to be delivered ... some 7 months from now at earliest ... for the general population.

·
Registered
3,354 Posts
some 7 months from now at earliest ... for the general population.
Why do we have to wait 7 months? What the heck are they waiting for.

Perfect example of the reason for the delay. A freezer breaks in a Northern California hospital and the Moderna vaccine that was to be distributed over the next few weeks would go bad in 2 hours. Guess what happened?

ltr

·
Registered
3,579 Posts

Perfect example of the reason for the delay. A freezer breaks in a Northern California hospital and the Moderna vaccine that was to be distributed over the next few weeks would go bad in 2 hours. Guess what happened?

ltr
Not sure what you mean? We can nitpik about how fast we are vaccinating with completely insufficient amounts of vaccine, but until we receive mega gallons more of the stuff, we can't really fix this 2nd wave problem with vaccine. Of course if we could, we should and I am pretty sure we would. But we can't.

So until then, if everyone used 100% precaution, 100% of the time, with 100% of the people outside of their households, a lot of lives would be saved. If they don't, these people will be dead long before the vaccine is ready for them. The only consolation I have is that, except for LTC residents, almost all of the people that will die, will at least be the ones that were not using precaution 100% of the time. It just seems like a high price to pay to have a better life for 6 or 7 more months or whatever other excuse we want to use that the virus could care less about.

·
Registered
10,881 Posts
I've got a novel idea that no one seems to have thought of. Why not vaccinate everyone?
I'm pretty sure it's not a novel idea but with something around 200K doses delivered with talk of 4 million by end of March 2021 for 35 million plus - it's pretty much a future possibility.

... The government and everyone else spend so much time on all these precautions when they could spend time vaccinating people. How about those 70,000 COVID tests Ontario does every day - why not just replace that with vaccinating those people instead. They're already standing in line.
Could be spending the time on vaccinating?

I guess you didn't notice that the first shipment of moderna's vaccine won't cover a single day?
It's 53K versus your number of 70K.

Throw in the Pfizer one and it looks like it's still under a week.

It seems clear that the answer to "why not everyone" is that the available doses are nowhere near enough to go with a first come, first server method.

Cheers

·
Registered
10,881 Posts
Receiving enough of the vaccine to get it to everyone.

... Perfect example of the reason for the delay. A freezer breaks in a Northern California hospital and the Moderna vaccine that was to be distributed over the next few weeks would go bad in 2 hours. Guess what happened?
One freezer full being distributed in a couple of hours tells you something about when the US will move to vaccinating everyone?

Seems like red tape is being focused on instead of the simple fact that there aren't enough doses produced yet.

Cheers

·
Registered
3,354 Posts
One freezer full being distributed in a couple of hours tells you something about when the US will move to vaccinating everyone?
It's an example of what happens when there's an urgency. It's all taking far longer than it needs to take. Only five of a possible 17 vaccination clinics across Ontario were in operation over the Christmas holidays because people wanted holidays. I've read there are millions of U.S. vaccine doses sit on ice while they work on red tape and decide if this person or this other person goes first.

This is what happens when governments are involved. A whole lot of sitting around discussing things instead of doing the job.

ltr

·
Registered
10,881 Posts
Sure ... but it does not change that a fraction of what is needed has been shipped, particularly for Canada.
I'm all for improving the speed of using what's currently available but it's not like a faster distribution will do anything about the shortfall.

Or change the need for current containment methods to be in use.

Cheers

PS
I don't know about who you talk to but everyone I have was not interested in going in over the holidays for a covid shot.

·
Registered
14,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,748
It is up to the drug companies how they are distributed. Until we receive more........vaccinate as many people as possible.

·
Registered
14,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,750
That is good news, but remember these are the first vaccinations and all these people will have to receive the second vaccine shot as well.

So, basically there are very few people who have received both vaccine shots so far. We don't know how effective one dose will be.

·
Registered
5,426 Posts
^ At least 1. we are getting more supply, and 2. innoculations are moving. Sheesh, talk about our governments' (Feds & Provincial) competency.

·
Registered
10,881 Posts
Ontario reps are claiming that vaccination rates should pick up quickly soon. Should get up to 40,000/day.
And so far, the biggest single week vaccine shipment reference I have seen has been 80K for the week.

If they really do ramp up to 40K a day, there's two days of vaccinations and then another five days of waiting for another shipment.

Cheers

·
Registered
5,426 Posts
Ontario nurses under investigation after travelling to Washington D.C. to allegedly take part in anti-lockdown event on day of riot

Not sure why these 2 crazies wanted to be nurses in the first place. Scary.

In videos posted to social media by the group, "Nurses Against Lockdowns” the women are seen addressing the crowd at the “Global Frontline Nurses” summit in Washington DC, an event that was scheduled to take place in front of the U.S. Supreme Court just hours before a group of rioters stormed the U.S. Capitol building, breaking windows and tearing through the offices of elected officials.

In one video, Sarah Choujounian identifies herself to the crowd as a nurse from Toronto who has spent most of her 16-year career working in a nursing home.

She claims she was fired after speaking out against lockdowns on social media, expresses concern that vaccines could harm seniors, and says restrictions on visitors at nursing homes constitute "crimes against humanity.”

According to the CNO, Choujounian worked at Norfinch Care Community in North York until 2020.

Kristen Nagle, a neonatal intensive care unit nurse from London according to the CNO, is shown speaking in another video.

Addressing the crowd, Nagle suggests the number of COVID-19 deaths compared to Canada’s overall population is evidence that the health restrictions are “crazy.” ...

·
Registered
5,361 Posts
And so far, the biggest single week vaccine shipment reference I have seen has been 80K for the week.

If they really do ramp up to 40K a day, there's two days of vaccinations and then another five days of waiting for another shipment.

Cheers
Apparently there are delays, seems the Ontario strategy of making sure we have stock to properly administer the vaccine, according to the approved vaccination schedule was a good idea.

·
Registered
5,361 Posts
Feds secured another 20 million doses. Premiers seem confident they can jab at very high rates....this is good news.

Where die the premiers say they were confident?
Last week Ford was pleading for more as we were about to run out.

·
Registered
14,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,758
Ford does a lot of pleading. He is the "Prince of Pleading". With furrowed brows and a stern look..........he is an "everything is on the table" kind of leader.

·
Registered
14,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,760 (Edited)
Beaver.......the CEO of London's hospital network was just terminated by the board.

After outbreaks at two hospitals, he sent a memo to staff blasting them for not following protocol and causing the outbreak.

Then he drove to the US to see his family........numerous times. Apparently he is a US citizen.

The nurse from the same London hospital is already under an unpaid leave for a trip in November.

I would think she is now terminated with cause and likely will have her registration revoked by the college of nursing.

3741 - 3760 of 3813 Posts