Canadian Money Forum banner

3721 - 3740 of 3813 Posts

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Cases in Ontario up approx 30% day-over-day. Premier sounding fearful. Says new projections coming next week that will frighten you. Yet York and other regions are asking for less restrictions. What measures do we have left? Stop construction? I think we need to block off non-food areas of the costco, Walmart, shoppers DM. People are still loitering and mingling shopping for non-essentials.
how else can we stop social gatherings?

·
Registered
3,579 Posts
Cases in Ontario up approx 30% day-over-day. Premier sounding fearful. Says new projections coming next week that will frighten you. Yet York and other regions are asking for less restrictions. What measures do we have left? Stop construction? I think we need to block off non-food areas of the costco, Walmart, shoppers DM. People are still loitering and mingling shopping for non-essentials.
how else can we stop social gatherings?
It's unlikely many of the infections are coming from places where everyone wears a mask. Certainly none of the ICUs came from there.

My list has not changed:
1) Unprotected indoor gathering
2) Unprotected vehicle passengers
3) Workplace's that do not implement precautions 100% of the time, including cafeteria/lunch and other breaks.

That is where they came from.

·
Registered
10,881 Posts
Makes you wonder why for a local LTC, the first positive resident was one that returned a day or two ago from a hospital.

Cheers

·
Registered
14,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,724 (Edited)
It's unlikely many of the infections are coming from places where everyone wears a mask. Certainly none of the ICUs came from there.

Huh ? Both of our hospitals have outbreaks on several floors. They require mask wearing and take temperatures and fill out a questionnaire to get in the door.

People going into the hospital for other health issues, have caught COVID while there and died in the ICU.

·
Registered
14,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,725
The question some are asking is.........how can we lock down, without actually locking down ?

Answer.......we can't.

·
Registered
14,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,726
My son works in construction. He has spent the last week out of town on a big project.

The crew stays in a hotel, eats in local restaurants, and engages with project managers and other trades.

Effectively........there isn't much protection against COVID deployed in the construction industry.

·
Registered
3,579 Posts

Huh ? Both of our hospitals have outbreaks on several floors. They require mask wearing and take temperatures and fill out a questionnaire to get in the door.

People going into the hospital for other health issues, have caught COVID while there and died in the ICU.
I still think it would be difficult to eat while wearing a mask so I really wonder about the claim that they were always wearing a mask. Workplaces make the same claim but take a look at an average lunch room and again, you find employees grouping together while they eat. If you're going to do that, why wear a mask at your desk?

Also, I am going to make an exception for "high covid concentration" environments like ICU or Covid wards. Luckily that does not exclude many places where masks, if worn by all, will dramatically drop the rate of transmission.

·
Super Moderator
3,626 Posts
I still think it would be difficult to eat while wearing a mask so I really wonder about the claim that they were always wearing a mask. Workplaces make the same claim but take a look at an average lunch room and again, you find employees grouping together while they eat. If you're going to do that, why wear a mask at your desk?
Guess it depends on the place and current restrictions. I know of lunch areas that are strictly managed, as in, one person per table and they have staggered the lunch time breaks to greatly reduce occupancy levels. They also sanitize each table after it is used. I would guess hospitals follow rules as well and many areas have their own small lunch rooms that can be easily managed for safety without a mask.

·
Registered
3,579 Posts
Guess it depends on the place and current restrictions. I know of lunch areas that are strictly managed, as in, one person per table and they have staggered the lunch time breaks to greatly reduce occupancy levels. They also sanitize each table after it is used. I would guess hospitals follow rules as well and many areas have their own small lunch rooms that can be easily managed for safety without a mask.
Absolutely. I don't expect workers to not eat lunch or take breaks. I do expect that they should stay more then 6 feet away from others, during both those events, and wash up accordingly after their breaks. A little more difficult to do in an overcrowded hospital. Even with plastic barriers, the aerosol levels that would come about from our most ill covid patients, breathing and coughing for days and days on end, should make the ability to get infected so much easier when even the smallest mistake in protocol is made by the healthy.

·
Registered
3,579 Posts
By the way, if any employers are wondering how to get your employees to follow Covid-19 precautions, Tom Cruise has a pretty good example of how to make sure they get the message. I think he caught one of his employees looking over another employees shoulder to see his computer screen...without a mask on.

·
Registered
5,426 Posts
^ Read that the 5 crews that he [email protected]^)k them quit the day after. Not sure if they were replaced ... most likely since you can get employees a dime by the dozen these days.

·
Registered
5,426 Posts
The question some are asking is.........how can we lock down, without actually locking down ?

Answer.......we can't.
.. it's not a 'real' lock-down ... people still have the liberty to move about for essential services and skirt the rules for non-essential ones.

I think to make it "work", it all boils down to social (personal) responsibility or the use of common sense for which some people are sadly lacking these days despite the guidelines/rules/laws are already out there to guide them.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
My mom keeps asking when we’re coming for a visit. She has cancer, and so did my dad...he’s in remission. I said I might come over and say hi from the driveway if it gets warmer. She said neighbours on both sides are having their kids and grandkids over. I told her not to worry about them. Told her to stay home and offered to have deliveries ordered.

my friends were complaining about our Premier. I asked them how many of them had plans over the holidays. I didn’t wait for an answer because I didn’t want to hear it.

these ”simple” exceptions that people make are not helping,

·
Registered
1,717 Posts

My list has not changed:
1) Unprotected indoor gathering
2) Unprotected vehicle passengers
3) Workplace's that do not implement precautions 100% of the time, including cafeteria/lunch and other breaks.

That is where they came from.
We had a local hospital with a bad outbreak. Spread amongst numerous doctor, nurses, etc. Relatively small hospital and there was well over 30 staff and 30 patients that tested positive. It's not only the general public that don't follow rules very well. You don't want to know how it all started....

·
Registered
18,982 Posts
An interesting recent article on COVID and long term effects

We are still learning what this disease does to the body. First reported in Germany, a lot of people who have COVID end up with inflammation of the heart, and it lasts for a while. It's common among mild cases too, even people who just recovered at home.

The article warns that this effect can be a long term condition that can be harmful long after the fact.

·
Registered
3,579 Posts
The problem with most people is they think that if they follow precautions 90% of the time, then they are doing their part. Unfortuneately 90% is about the same as doing nothing. The virus does not care that you try. If you seal up all your windows at home and replace all the screens to keep the mosquitos out, does it really matter if you also keep the back door open so the dog can go in and out?

If you try hard all day keeping away from co-workers and wearing a mask at your desk, do you think the virus really cares that it had to wait until you had lunch with your 2 friends at work, before it could grab onto a piece of you?

If you keep your visits with the grandchildren down to once per week, instead of every 2nd day, does the virus really get annoyed that they had to wait until Sunday to get at you?

If you went to a friends house 3 weeks ago and nothing happened does that really sterilize your friends from all viral contamination for all future visits. Did success 3 weeks ago really prove that the activity is actually safe? Are you sure your friends locked themselves up in a sterilized room and went no where and saw no one for the last 3 weeks so you can visit with them again today?

and I could go on. It's hard to watch. And yes, Money172375, we all have family members just like you do, so don't feel bad.

·
Registered
5,426 Posts
^ So what do you propose? Other than telling everyone here "the virus is everywhere and it's useless whatever you do" I.e. be prepared to die.

Ain't gonna to help sell more insurance policies.

·
Registered
3,579 Posts
^ So what do you propose? Other than telling everyone here "the virus is everywhere and it's useless whatever you do" I.e. be prepared to die.

Ain't gonna to help sell more insurance policies.
Can you not figure that out. 90% is not enough. Did that clear it up?

Beav. Does the fact that I sold insurance at some point in my life really render everything I say as wrong? Can you not let it go? Was it really relevant in your last post? Was anything in your last post relevant except to attack me? Not sure what I did to you but lets move on. Your posts are getting a little more then annoying.

·
Registered
5,426 Posts
Can you not figure that out. 90% is not enough. Did that clear it up?
.. no, 90% is not enough of what? to kill everyone? Or do you need 110% to do that?

Beav. Does the fact that I sold insurance at some point in my life really render everything I say as wrong?
... I didn't say you were wrong ... I asked you what do you propose we do given the virus is everywhere. I get the impression from your post that we should all put up our arms (ie. our efforts to slow/stop the spread are in vain) and just wait for the inevitable ... we gonna die anyways.

Can you not let it go? Was it really relevant in your last post? Was anything in your last post relevant except to attack me? Not sure what I did to you but lets move on. Your posts are getting a little more then annoying.
... why are you getting edgy? Wasn't it you who started trying to make light of this serious crisis we're all going through ... the humour injection? So it's okay for you to make jokes and not others. And that your posts aren't annoying, correct?

Besides, I still question the "guaranteed renewable" benefit in your previous post as an "explanation" for the 700% premium increase from an enquiring poster and your subsequent attempt to hide that dishonesty with your other mocking on customers' right to be skeptical about the ethics of commissioned insurance salespeople.

·
Registered
3,354 Posts
^ So what do you propose?
I've got a novel idea that no one seems to have thought of. Why not vaccinate everyone? The government and everyone else spend so much time on all these precautions when they could spend time vaccinating people. How about those 70,000 COVID tests Ontario does every day - why not just replace that with vaccinating those people instead. They're already standing in line.

ltr

3721 - 3740 of 3813 Posts