Canadian Money Forum banner

3361 - 3380 of 3819 Posts

·
Registered
5,388 Posts
What kind of curb-side pickup options exist for pedestrians? Can I walk up to the store and have them bring the items out to me?
I don't see why not. You just call a number at the pickup stall.
At ToysRUs you walked up to the door.
At Canadian Tire, they were overwhelmed, but it was either in a spot, or walk to the door.
Canada Computers had a line at the door and spots.

You can't browse, but people need to chill out.
We've been through the problems with shopping, things weren't that bad last time.
My kids miss browsing, but personally I don't want anything, so it's no problem.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Things are bad. We need a hero.

Superman cannot help us. Spiderman just does not have the right stuff. Batman would be useless and we would get no help from Wonder Women.

I think we all know who we need to call.

The Grinch is the only one who can save us now. The Grinch, and his dutiful sidekick Max, need to steal Christmas this year and save us all.

·
Registered
5,438 Posts
^ I would nominate Premier Ford to be our (ON's) Grinch for this Xmas!

·
Registered
5,438 Posts
People are dumb.
... not necessarily as some of them are so shrewd that it blows my mind. Heard a friend of a friend of a friend who drove some "2 to 3 hours" from a northern ON city to "help out an (elderly) friend to shop" yesterday at one TO's best known mall up in North York before the "lockdown". Amazing friend(s).

Anyhow, I included the word "panic" in my post which was the cause.

·
Registered
5,438 Posts
yeah, trying to save lives is so Grinch!

Why don't you nominate Trump to take over, he'll be free in a few months.
... being Grinch is too good of a job for the Dump. He's beyond help in my books.

Since Premier Ford has been given the quite unpleasant job of locking down ON, only logical to assign him the Grinch job this Xmas.

Besides, Tory has taken the Santa's position. Elliott has the tooth fair position.

·
Registered
5,388 Posts
... not necessarily as some of them are so shrewd that it blows my mind. Heard a friend of a friend of a friend who drove some "2 to 3 hours" from a northern ON city to "help out an (elderly) friend to shop" yesterday at one TO's best known mall up in North York before the "lockdown". Amazing friend(s).

Anyhow, I included the word "panic" in my post which was the cause.
OMG, they purposely pulled an elderly person out into a busy shopping mall?
During the pandemic?
Then went back to a Northern city?

Are people nuts?
With "friends" like this, it's no wonder COVID is still spreading.

·
Registered
5,438 Posts
^ Yep, even her "kids" said she was loonie. I guess she needed retail therapy ...

·
Registered
14,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,374
Tens of millions of Americans are getting their groceries by lining up for miles to get a small box of food.

·
Registered
14,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,375
We have begun stocking up again. I got a bad feeling where this is heading and think we will eventually be totally locked down.

And yes........there will be shortages.

It doesn't take long to deplete store shelves and supplies sitting in the supply chain aren't much good to someone in a store.

·
Registered
5,438 Posts
Light at the end of the tunnel or this winter (for Ontarians)?

Premier Doug Ford enlists former head of the Canadian Armed Forces to oversee COVID-19 vaccine distribution in the province

Copying some text in case this goes behind a paywall.

The former head of the Canadian military will lead Ontario’s charge to distribute the COVID-19 vaccine, the Star has learned.

Retired Gen. Rick Hillier has been enlisted to chair the province’s new task force on the vaccine.

Hillier, who was chief of the defence staff of the Canadian Armed Forces from 2005 to 2008, was personally tapped by Premier Doug Ford, who will formally announce the appointment Monday.

“This is a military operation in the sense that the moment the vaccine hits our warehouses we want it deployed where it is most needed,” a senior government official said Sunday.

The insider, speaking confidentially in order to discuss internal deliberations, said Hillier’s COVID-19 vaccine task force will also include “doctors, scientists, logistical experts and Indigenous leaders.”

Between January and March, Ontario will receive 1.6 million doses of Pfizer’s new vaccine and 800,000 doses of Moderna’s vaccine.

Each vaccine requires two shots, meaning Ontario’s initial allotment of 2.4 million doses will be dispensed to 1.2 million people in a province with a population of 14.5 million.

The priority for the first wave of vaccination will be front-line health-care workers, such as doctors and nurses, and long-term care workers in nursing homes, scene of two-thirds of Ontario’s 3,500 COVID-19 deaths.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
A new vaccine candidate from AstraZeneca. It's a more conventional vaccine so there is no requirement for the low temperatures required by Moderna or Pfizer. It is less effective though.

·
Registered
5,438 Posts
Toronto and Peel officially enter lockdown as Tory urges people to stay home

TO's mayor has been harping "Please Stay Home" for the past 2 days (Sat. & Sun.) while the city is going in a lock-down starting today (all non-essential stores closed). Who is/wants to listen to this turkey anymore??? Easy for him (and his ilks) to "stay home" and get paid doing what except ..harp, harp and harp.

In the meantime, Brampton's mayor is saying the lockdown for Peel will make no difference to slow the spread there given the impact affects the wrong places:

“I am a little bit concerned that this shutdown doesn’t focus on the largest area of spread. In Brampton our largest source of transmission is industrial settings. Our largest two sectors are transportation logistics and food processing and neither of those sectors are shut down because they are considered essential,” Brampton Mayor Patrick Brown told CP24 on Monday. “So this isn’t truly a lockdown for Brampton. Small businesses have been shut down but with the largest portion of our workforce being essential workers nothing has really changed.”

·
Registered
13,240 Posts
yeah, trying to save lives is so Grinch!

Why don't you nominate Trump to take over, he'll be free in a few months.
Then you don't have to worry about leadership.
I don't understand why Ford was waffling in late October/early November. It was clear where the trend was going. Had we acted earlier, the virus might have been knocked down enough to have a somewhat normal Christmas. At this point, I would not be surprised to see more of Ontario subject to lockdown by then.

3361 - 3380 of 3819 Posts