Canadian Money Forum banner

3341 - 3360 of 3410 Posts

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
I did hear that too. Ie. Walmart needs to block off sections that are deemed non-essential. I suppose they’re targeting the loiterers and “window shoppers”. Get what you need and get out.

while I think some measures we see in Canada are a bit odd, I do believe that until people “feel” like things are different, they won’t change Behaviour. Closing all or parts of retail “sends a message” that the public understands.

·
Registered
13,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,342 (Edited)
Advocates and family members say the second wave of the pandemic in long term homes is worse than the first wave.

They say that despite pledges by Ontario Premier Ford to make the changes necessary, nothing has been done since March.

It is notable that conservative media are now criticizing Ford's lack of leadership on the issue. The one thing he did do was enact legislation that severely limits financial liability for long term homes and the ability of family members to hold them accountable. He made the law retroactive to last March which causes problems for lawsuits that have already been filed. It appears the long term home lobby has considerable influence in the Ford government.

It is baffling why Ford thought nobody would notice. Nobody supports letting old folks suffer and die in those conditions.

Trudeau should declare emergency measures and send the military into the homes to clean them up. They can argue about "jurisdictions" later.

·
Registered
5,122 Posts
Biden will likely need to buy new paintings and furniture as well. The Grifter family is moving out. Trump Ebay store coming soon......
... ewww, who wants to touch the dirty Dump stuff even.

·
Registered
5,122 Posts
I did hear that too. Ie. Walmart needs to block off sections that are deemed non-essential.
... that's indeed idiotic. You can control traffic into the store but to block off what that they deem as "non-essentials" or "essentials" is a really puzzling move for a retailer.

By then I heard from a friend (in ON) just this past week, Walmart (CanadianTire too) wants to desist their online store in order to encourage or bring back the traditional "in-store" shoppers. Something is really screwy up at Walmart "Canada." Maybe Canadian Tire wants to follow that route too. (Not a fan of either store so really doesn't matter to me.)

·
Registered
5,122 Posts
Advocates and family members say the second wave of the pandemic in long term homes is worse than the first wave.

They say that despite pledges by Ontario Premier Ford to make the changes necessary, nothing has been done since March.

It is notable that conservative media are now criticizing Ford's lack of leadership on the issue. The one thing he did do was enact legislation that severely limits financial liability for long term homes and the ability of family members to hold them accountable. He made the law retroactive to last March which causes problems for lawsuits that have already been filed. It appears the long term home lobby has considerable influence in the Ford government.

It is baffling why Ford thought nobody would notice. Nobody supports letting old folks suffer and die in those conditions.

Trudeau should declare emergency measures and send the military into the homes to clean them up. They can argue about "jurisdictions" later.

... you have to recall Ford's MIL was/is in one of those homes.

·
Registered
13,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,346
We are also experiencing a shortage of seasonal flu shots. I hope the Province does a better job of distributing a COVID vaccine.

I think we need some changes in Ontario healthcare, starting with the Health Minister. She doesn't appear to know what is going on.

It is one thing to have a vaccine created. It might be another to actually get a shot.

Beyond the flu shot, the pandemic has exposed “a vaccination crisis,” he said. A recent national poll suggests one-third of children aren’t getting their routine shots, because there is less access to primary care. Pharmacies, with their flexible hours, could fill in, he said.
That gets us to the COVID-19 vaccine, which will need every corner of health care to protect people. “There’s some lessons learned here for the eventual distribution of the COVID vaccine where we expect demand to be much higher than it is for the seasonal flu shot,” he said.

·
Registered
4,747 Posts
We are also experiencing a shortage of seasonal flu shots. I hope the Province does a better job of distributing a COVID vaccine.

I think we need some changes in Ontario healthcare, starting with the Health Minister. She doesn't appear to know what is going on.

It is one thing to have a vaccine created. It might be another to actually get a shot.

Beyond the flu shot, the pandemic has exposed “a vaccination crisis,” he said. A recent national poll suggests one-third of children aren’t getting their routine shots, because there is less access to primary care. Pharmacies, with their flexible hours, could fill in, he said.
That gets us to the COVID-19 vaccine, which will need every corner of health care to protect people. “There’s some lessons learned here for the eventual distribution of the COVID vaccine where we expect demand to be much higher than it is for the seasonal flu shot,” he said.

They have more flu shots available than before, demand is just many times more than normal.
Also the demand is much more front loaded than before.

The supply with catch up, and I expect that we'll still end up disposing of a few hundred thousand unwanted doses at the end of season.

You keep complaining, but I'm not sure what you expect? Should they order enough for the whole population, twice the population?
Also should they wait till they have all 5 million doses available before they start vaccinating? or should they vaccinate and order more as they see how it proceeds.

Finally this is all really administrative tasks and I think they're doing ok.
The ministry should set their projections and the minister should give them the OK unless they're clearly wrong.
Remember the minister, deputies and senior leadership are typically not experts in all the initiatives they're responsible for.

We've got the biggest health crisis in modern history and I think they're doing pretty good.

You can complain about her all you want, but compare Ontario, or Canada as a whole to any other western jurisdiction.
We're doing pretty good, better than the EU, better than the US.

Fortunately for all the incompetence of the various politicians, our actual workers and bureaucracy are pretty capable.

·
Registered
13,045 Posts
I think it is a perception of fairness. Why is Walmart allowed to sell clothes when Old Navy cannot? I understand the appeal of this idea, but it is hard to police.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
I starting planning for our HOA to host a flue clinic in July. We had a pharmacist on board who was gonna come out and give shots to the approx 300 seniors who love hear. A lot of my neighbours thoughts I was crazy......“I’ll just go to my doctor or pharmacy”.

everything was on track until about a week before the flu shot was made available. Pharmacist told me they weren’t allowed to give shots “off-site” due to insurance reasons.

anyway....I predicted a shortage......I knew from the TP shortage, that there would be issues with the flu shot. Our industries are not designed to triple production in short periods.

off topic - yesterday was the first time in 8 months I saw LYSOL SPRAY in a store.

·
Registered
13,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,350 (Edited)
There is no excuse for a shortage of flu shots. They knew about the added strain of a twin pandemic on our healthcare system.

On October 22, the Health Minister denied a shortage and said there were more than enough shots available.

On November 3, she said they were negotiating to buy more flu shots. They ordered 5 million for a population of 14 million, not nearly enough.

Premier Ford tried to blame the pharmacies for shortages by saying they "overbooked" patients. How stupid does he think we are.

The Ontario government has badly mishandled the COVID pandemic. We had the numbers low and Ford couldn't wait to open everything back up.

Today we set a new record of more than 1500 confirmed cases. Today's numbers are from infections contracted 2 weeks ago.

They will be even worse going forward. These are the people trusted to deliver the vaccinations to the people of Ontario ?

I don't believe what they say. I believe what they do and from long term homes to restrictions.....they have not done well.

·
Registered
18,298 Posts
Fortunately for all the incompetence of the various politicians, our actual workers and bureaucracy are pretty capable.
I think politicians (at least ours in Canada) are reasonably competent, and the government workers are also quite capable and competent. The bureaucracy is pretty solid.

It's popular to complain about government but I've worked with people on both sides (govt & private industry) and there's just as much incompetence and stupidity in both sectors.

·
Registered
5,122 Posts
There is no excuse for a shortage of flu shots. They knew about the added strain of a twin pandemic on our healthcare system.

On October 22, the Health Minister denied a shortage and said there were more than enough shots available.

On November 3, she said they were negotiating to buy more flu shots. They ordered 5 million for a population of 14 million, not nearly enough.
... thought I saw the 2nd piece of news too and had my head scratching. Which is it? More than enough shots to go around in ON or not enough? As said previously, Ms. Elliott as Health Minister of ON needs to re-examine her math as well as those health officials that report to her.

Premier Ford tried to blame the pharmacies for shortages by saying they "overbooked" patients. How stupid does he think we are.
... I didn't see this part. If it's true that he said this, I think there should be words coming from the provincial pharmacy association. No need to "deflect blame for a miscalculation", (if it was indeed a miscalculation). The mistake is still there - it needs to be fixed. And quick.

The Ontario government has badly mishandled the COVID pandemic. We had the numbers low and Ford couldn't wait to open everything back up.

Today we set a new record of more than 1500 confirmed cases. Today's numbers are from infections contracted 2 weeks ago.

They will be even worse going forward. These are the people trusted to deliver the vaccinations to the people of Ontario ?
.. can't blame Ford entirely. After-all he is a "politician" and you know how politicians typically "operate".

Anyhow, he's supposedly to be listening, relying and taking "advice" from his "health officials or "medical" "experts" in regards to the direction of the infection rate or how this pandemic (2nd wave) is going to impact ON. If he's not getting an accurate and honest assessment from these "experts", then his decision/actions will reflect the same. I get the sense the health officials are swaying too much on the political fence than acting as true "medical experts". Much like those docs at Walter Reed sucking up to the Dump.

I don't believe what they say. I believe what they do and from long term homes to restrictions.....they have not done well.
... definitely need to do much much better. So far haven't heard of a (revised) "plan". And the public will only listen so much of the same, without the actual actions. And then there's the credibility issue.

I can say, at least Ontarians are in a better position than those east and south of our border. However, our politicians (and medical officials) shouldn't be resting on their laurels anytime soon as the virus (pandemic) is still with us.

·
Registered
13,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,354 (Edited)
A lot of people believe the COVID will only be mild if they get it.

They should listen to the horror stories coming out of the US by nurses and doctors that actually work in the COVID wards.

One nurse said it is a catastrophic situation. They have every bed full and are short staffed. They have 10 rooms designated for COVID patients now and 1 is specifically to move patients into and let them die. The problem often is that one minute the patient is stable and the next minute all the warning buzzers are going off. The nurses and doctors rush from patient to patient trying to save them. It sounds more like a war zone MASH unit than a normal hospital setting. These stories are repeated over and over and over from across the US and we are following their path.......and people still aren't listening.

People of all ages are getting infected. People of all ages are getting sick and end up hospitalized. People of all ages are ending up in ICU units. People of all ages are dying. There is no safety in isolating the old and sick and waiting for herd immunity.

This is NOT a normal flu. It has early symptoms of an early flu.......but then it just takes off and accelerates the complications and symptoms.

It is a killer virus and people should look at it that way. But no, they are jamming into airports and airplanes, attending celebrations, and shopping.
I saw a report that 30% of Canadian snowbirds planned on heading south. Our leaders are breaking their own restrictions.

People don't believe bad things will happen to them. It is always "the other guy" it happens to.

Point is.....our leaders can dick around and shut this and restrict that, but the COVID continues on and eventually we will HAVE to close down.

People say we can't shut down.....but step by step we are getting there. A shutdown would be better sooner than later.

·
Registered
4,747 Posts

Yes
Please supply a source that this is "not nearly enough"
They ordered far more flu shots than normal.

Not stupid at all.
He expects us to understand that if the pharmacy scheduled more appointments than they had vaccines for, it's the pharmacies fault.

Yup, and it was the right call.
You have to realize that Ontario is STILL doing better than most of the western world.

Good link
"He confirmed that demand for flu shots at pharmacies has risen 500 per cent from 2019."

Think about that, there is a massive increase in demand.
FWIW I don't know anyone who had trouble getting a flu shot.

·
Registered
4,747 Posts
... that's indeed idiotic. You can control traffic into the store but to block off what that they deem as "non-essentials" or "essentials" is a really puzzling move for a retailer.

By then I heard from a friend (in ON) just this past week, Walmart (CanadianTire too) wants to desist their online store in order to encourage or bring back the traditional "in-store" shoppers. Something is really screwy up at Walmart "Canada." Maybe Canadian Tire wants to follow that route too. (Not a fan of either store so really doesn't matter to me.)
Walmart is expanding their online shopping.
They've even added fresh grocery delivery.

Canadian Tire online shopping is a disaster.

·
Super Moderator
3,424 Posts
Walmart is expanding their online shopping.
They've even added fresh grocery delivery.
Did our first curb-side pickup at Walmart yesterday ... went pretty well.
Highlights ...
  • they didn't have 6 items
  • substituted 2 items (good subs)
  • missed 1 item (cucumber)
  • one badly selected item (soft celery)

They credited back the cucumber and celery on the bill and the 6 items they didn't have. Wait time was ~20 minutes but likely that could have been less had we signaled them we were arriving sooner. Will use them again.

·
Registered
4,747 Posts
Did our first curb-side pickup at Walmart yesterday ... went pretty well.
Highlights ...
  • they didn't have 6 items
  • substituted 2 items (good subs)
  • missed 1 item (cucumber)
  • one badly selected item (soft celery)

They credited back the cucumber and celery on the bill and the 6 items they didn't have. Wait time was ~20 minutes but likely that could have been less had we signaled them we were arriving sooner. Will use them again.
I've been using them for 2 years.
Haven't had many issues, if they give the wrong item they'll often credit it for free, rather than driving back to return.

Also we got a box of Lindt chocolates at our 50th purchase, but nothing at our 100th, but that was during COVID panic and they were booked days in advance.

NoFrills pickup isn't as good, you have to go in store.

Walmart and Amazon have a battle, and it's going to be really tough, but I don't think anyone else is close in that market.

Costco is great, but their selection is limited.
I love the ease of returns.

·
Registered
18,298 Posts
What kind of curb-side pickup options exist for pedestrians? Can I walk up to the store and have them bring the items out to me?

3341 - 3360 of 3410 Posts