Canadian Money Forum banner

3321 - 3340 of 3410 Posts

·
Registered
13,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,321 (Edited)
The numbers are pretty good for our area, but the infections are wide spread in age and location.

The latest cases have involved mostly younger people. Of the 23 new cases only 5 were 60 years of age and older.

We need to remain vigilant to keep the numbers low.

• 23 new cases reported today but total cases went up by 22 (19 residents of London, 2 of Middlesex Centre and 1 of Southwest Middlesex; Ages: 7 age 0-19, 6 age 20-29, 3 age 30-39, 1 age 50-59, 1 age 60-69, 1 age 70-79 and 3 age 80+). One is a long-term care home staff.
  • We are averaging 14 new cases per day (on average, 4 of those have "no known link").
  • No deaths and 17 recoveries reported today.
  • Hospitalization Update: LHSC is reporting 11 in-patients with COVID-19 (up from 8 on Monday). :-(
  • Outbreak Update: No outbreaks declared today. We currently have 2 outbreaks at LHSC University Hospital (4IP General Medicine and 9IP Orthopedic).
  • School / Child Care Update: No new cases today. We have now had 38 total cases (3 childcare/early years, 22 elementary, 13 secondary).

·
Registered
10,742 Posts
Wondering if this could lead To other coronavirus vaccines......ex, common cold?
Maybe ... if somehow the economics shift enough and/or there is gov't will.

Back in the spring, a biotech investor being interviewed said the challenge this situation was funding. If the vaccine was 90% effective with about 20% of colds from about the three that cause them - the market was too small where he could only find a few willing to fund a small part of what was needed.

Cheers

·
Registered
13,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,323
The US is facing a catastrophic situation.

There are too many people who just don't care and some are even denying they have COVID while lying in the hospital bed with COVID.

Over capacity hospitals, rationed healthcare, exhausted doctors and nurses, freezer trucks morgues........don't seem to be enough for them to change.

·
Registered
5,122 Posts
Wondering if this could lead To other coronavirus vaccines......ex, common cold?
... don't think so as can you imagine how many vaccines (or their variations) will be required, especially those that are not as deadly as Covid19? That's like looking for the Cure-All Holy Grail.

Besides, we have flu-shots (that runs parallel to those viruses' mutations) so that should account for something. Last I read was as of date, the incidence of the seasonal "flu" is down by 98%. That's dramatic.

It would be nice, however, if the development of Covid19 vaccine can help immunize us against other coronaviruses ... thereby prevent us from getting the regular flu or cold. That would be the closest silver bullet against "coronaviruses".

·
Registered
4,747 Posts
... don't think so as can you imagine how many vaccines (or their variations) will be required, especially those that are not as deadly as Covid19? That's like looking for the Cure-All Holy Grail.

Besides, we have flu-shots (that runs parallel to those viruses' mutations) so that should account for something. Last I read was as of date, the incidence of the seasonal "flu" is down by 98%. That's dramatic.
Infectious diesease control measures that stop COVID also stop the flu.

But if you make wild assumptions that if we did nothing and the flu spread 50x as much, if we did nothing for covid we'd be looking at much higher spready (arguably 50x) which would be about half of the Canadian population.

·
Registered
10,742 Posts
... don't think so as can you imagine how many vaccines (or their variations) will be required, especially those that are not as deadly as Covid19? That's like looking for the Cure-All Holy Grail ...
Where one is talking coronavirus - there reported to be four that cause the common cold with mild to moderate symptoms. For humans, there are reported to be seven, in total.

Where one is talking all the different ones that cause a common cold there are other types including the Rhinovirus, RSV as well as Parainfluenza. Part of each year's list are the "unknown" ones.

Besides, we have flu-shots (that runs parallel to those viruses' mutations) so that should account for something.
For influenza, yes - for corona, nada. For some years, the guess as to which influenza virus will be circulated widely is well off the mark so that the flu shot is reported to be 10% effective. In a good year, it's 60% effective with the average being 40%.

.. It would be nice, however, if the development of Covid19 vaccine can help immunize us against other coronaviruses ... thereby prevent us from getting the regular flu or cold.
Good luck with that as it would deal with three of two hundred (i.e. 0.015%) of those that cause the common cold.

Cheers

·
Registered
5,122 Posts
^ Based on the details in your post, the short answer to Money's question is "no".

·
Registered
10,742 Posts
Seems more likely as lucky side effect, where the covid -19 vaccine ends up being effective or somewhat effective for the four ones that cause the common cold.
The combination of mild to moderate symptoms with about 20% from the four makes the economics tough.

Cheers

·
Registered
13,045 Posts
Giuliani's son also tested positive, so he is isolating and not attending court proceedings. Though he might have done it anyway to avoid the embarrassment of he press conference with his just for men was running down the rivers of sweat on his face.

·
Registered
13,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,334
People are safer in the COVID wing of a hospital than in the White House.

Hello......you have reached the White House. The government is sick right now and unable to come to the phone. Please leave your name and......

·
Registered
5,122 Posts
Hot spots in Ontario returning to March-like lockdowns.

... inevitable given the fast rising infection number.

Now the enforcement side better come through (if not more stringent) otherwise this exercise will be all for naught except for small businesses ... becoming more than just collateral damages.

Reactions: sags

·
Registered
5,122 Posts
People are safer in the COVID wing of a hospital than in the White House.

Hello......you have reached the White House. The government is sick right now and unable to come to the phone. Please leave your name and......
... at least the # hasn't been disconnected.

President Biden needs to set up a new number for the WH.... and quickly too.

Reactions: sags

·
Registered
13,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,337
Biden will likely need to buy new paintings and furniture as well. The Grifter family is moving out. Trump Ebay store coming soon......

·
Registered
3,409 Posts
Did I read it right that in Manitoba now their restrictions are that you can go into a retail store but can only buy certain essential items, as opposed to whatever the retail store normally sells.

Am I right, and if so, am I missing something? What to heck is that? Sounds more like a punishment then a precaution. We certainly need a spanking but I am pretty sure I could focus my spanks more precisely then that.

·
Registered
13,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,339
Sounds idiotic to me. Who decides what is essential or not ? No wonder people don't know what they are supposed to do.

Beaver 101 is right upthread.....if they allow the pandemic to get out of control, all those billions of dollars spent are wasted.

No wonder Trudeau is getting frustrated and telling the Provinces that Federal financial support is not infinite.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Did I read it right that in Manitoba now their restrictions are that you can go into a retail store but can only buy certain essential items, as opposed to whatever the retail store normally sells.

Am I right, and if so, am I missing something? What to heck is that? Sounds more like a punishment then a precaution. We certainly need a spanking but I am pretty sure I could focus my spanks more precisely then that.
I did hear that too. Ie. Walmart needs to block off sections that are deemed non-essential.

3321 - 3340 of 3410 Posts