Canadian Money Forum banner

3001 - 3012 of 3012 Posts

·
Registered
13,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,001
Before Ontario mandated masks in stores, there were people wandering around without a mask muttering away and bugging people wearing a mask.

I saw it a couple of times, and it ended when masks were mandated. Now the store or other customers can tell the person to toddle off somewhere else.

·
Registered
12,902 Posts
There was a video of a guy going on a racist tirade at a T&T grocery store after being asked to wear a mask or leave. Also saw a video of a guy (apparently recorded by his friend--so maybe a screw loose or attention seeker) who went into a Niagara Falls Shoppers Drug Mart and started to rip up the floor markings and signs while shouting. Manager had to close the store and call the police (the guy seemed a bit unhinged and potentially violent).

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
When you see those Folks at a Trump rally and with their hands in the air, that is what evangelical Christians do when in church "Witnessing".

I once knew a born-again Christian who threw away her valuables because God told her to. She felt that if she did not throw them away, then she was mocking God and showing mistrust of his preaching.

If these Christians put on a mask they would be showing a mistrust of the messiah named Trump.

Many American presidents have claimed that they have talked to God. George W. Bush even claimed that God answered him. Trump has acted like a messiah since being elected.

·
Registered
17,964 Posts
When you see those Folks at a Trump rally and with their hands in the air, that is what evangelical Christians do when in church "Witnessing".

I once knew a born-again Christian who threw away her valuables because God told her to. She felt that if she did not throw them away, then she was mocking God and showing mistrust of his preaching.

If these Christians put on a mask they would be showing a mistrust of the messiah named Trump.

Many American presidents have claimed that they have talked to God. George W. Bush even claimed that God answered him. Trump has acted like a messiah since being elected.
There's definitely a connection between religious fundamentalism and this anti-mask lunacy. It might have to do with rejection of science (and medicine).

For example, look at the Toronto anti-mask video footage that lonewolf posted. There are religious signs and banners all over the place. I didn't watch the whole video but it didn't take me long to see the name of an evangelical church:

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
There's definitely a connection between religious fundamentalism and this anti-mask lunacy. It might have to do with rejection of science (and medicine).
Just like the climate debate..."the science is settled" we were told. That's a direct rejection of science and yet you support that lie 100%.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
While people are arguing about wearing a mask, China is overtaking America on the world stage.

They wear masks in China.

China grows nearly 5%; Will historians look back at Trump’s disastrous Pandemic Response as the Moment Beijing Overtook the US?
Laura He at CNN Business reports that China’s gross domestic product grew 4.9% in the third quarter, July-September, over one year ago.
Its industrial production actually grew 5.8 percent year on year, improving on the second quarter’s 4.4 percent growth. Consumers are buying again, with auto sales surging over 12% (Ford China did 25%!).

.... there is serious danger of China leaving the US in the dust. It will have had three years of solid growth by the time the US gets a handle on a pandemic that is more or less over with, for now, in China.

Up until last week, China had gone two months without reporting any new coronavirus cases. None. That’s mid-August until mid-October! Then last week they had 12 cases in the eastern Yellow Sea port of Qingdao in Shandong province and they went medieval on it, testing ten million people in the city and its environs. Qingdao has a population of 5.6 million, with 9 million in the metropolitan region.

Qingdao, by the way, has a GDP of $266 bn per year, equal to the whole GDP of the country of Portugal.

It is on par with Minneapolis-St. Paul. And it is just a second-tier Chinese city, the 16th most populous. It is more populous than Los Angeles, the second biggest US city after New York City.

The US only ships 1.4 million tests a day and in some recent days has had nearly 70,000 cases, returning to the levels of the summer spike.
By Juan Cole
October 19, 2020

·
Registered
13,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,011
My wife still has to wear a mask for the full 8 hour shifts. They had to fight to get 2 masks a shift so they could switch at lunch.

I have no sympathy for the anti-maskers who can't put them on for a 30 minute shopping trip.

·
Registered
13,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,012 (Edited)
China had total lock downs. People who didn't wear masks or quarantine were dragged off to parts unknown.

They just posted a 4.9% increase in their GDP. The media didn't cover it because Trump deflected from the story by feeding more looney tunes to media.

Maybe the Chinese know more about handling a pandemic and reopening an economy ?

3001 - 3012 of 3012 Posts