Canadian Money Forum banner

2981 - 3000 of 3007 Posts

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
I think there is going to be huge demands for social workers. My daughter is getting her BA in that field.

The lifestyle changes caused by Covid-19 are causing huge mental strains and marital strains as well.
Governments are going to pay young people to stay in Zoom School and off the streets.

This winter could mean horrific infections and diets will change. No fresh vegetables or fruit. People are going to hibernate.

You might want to include a board game for the kids when ordering your groceries and Grub Hub.

In the U.S. they offered 7 bucks a day to everybody and called it the best they can do.

And the stress rises ....

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
People are going to cut back on trips to the store as the infections rise.
Less fresh produce and fruit being sold.
Lots of frozen stuff instead.

The most secure or safe place to live will be near a bakery because a military unit will be parked on site.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
I agree, but really the reason for washing hands, is so that you don't transfer the virus from something you touched, like a doorknob or whatever to your mouth or eyes. If you touch the outside of mask, not as much of a problem. I agree, that masks do give us a false sense of security, but it does seem that overall they do help a lot.
Not a good idea to touch the outside of your mask or allow the outside of the mask to touch non-sterile surfaces. This can result in self contamination. It's a huge issue as more and more people are taking their masks on and off numerous times per day. I'm just hoping that the benefits outweigh the risk.

·
Registered
17,949 Posts
Some Toronto, Peel residents appear to be crossing regional COVID-19 boundaries for exercise

Are these people for real? Drive (bike, walk, rollerblade, crawl?) from TO or Peel to go to Milton and line up for a workout? ....LOL.
Parts of Toronto have more than 10% positivity rate, the highest rates of infection in the country. If young people are indeed going to gyms in neighbouring areas, they are going to spread this like wildfire.

Young people doing these things are going to force the government to do a complete lock-down.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Parts of Toronto have more than 10% positivity rate, the highest rates of infection in the country. If young people are indeed going to gyms in neighbouring areas, they are going to spread this like wildfire.

Young people doing these things are going to force the government to do a complete lock-down.
I feel that is inevitable. I just saw Italy had its highest daily count ever, and I suspect their restrictions are stricter than ours. This virus is relentless.

·
Registered
4,916 Posts

... and so be it and the suffering continues for thyself /themselves. Cannot change these people (selfish, ignorant, arrogant, fill-in-the-blank, etc.) who cannot be helped. Just hope the Ford government ramp up the (legal) enforcements.

Here's another (latest) example of is this for real or what? These people are nothing but short of being malicious:

Woman charged for breaking Quarantine Act

OTTAWA - An Ontario woman has been charged with breaching federal quarantine rules after allegedly returning to work in a long-term care facility soon after travelling abroad.

Ottawa police say a complaint received Oct. 2 alleged the woman had returned to Canada on Sept. 26.

They allege she was required under the Quarantine Act to quarantine until Oct. 9 but returned to work on Sept. 30 at a long-term care facility in Ottawa.

Police say management sent the employee home and cleaned the facility after learning of the situation, and no residents have tested positive for COVID-19.

The 53-year-old woman has since been charged with failing to comply with the 14-day isolation condition of the Quarantine Act, and with causing risk of imminent death or serious bodily harm under the act.

She has a court appearance scheduled for Nov. 24.

This report by The Canadian Press was first published Oct. 15, 2020.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
... and so be it and the suffering continues for thyself /themselves. Cannot change these people (selfish, ignorant, arrogant, fill-in-the-blank, etc.) who cannot be helped. Just hope the Ford government ramp up the (legal) enforcements.

Here's another (latest) example of is this for real or what? These people are nothing but short of being malicious:

I wouldn't say that it is necessarily malicious, not knowing her exact motivations. Maybe she felt that she had to go into work because they were short staffed and thought that she was low risk of being infected. That being said, it wasn't the smartest idea and now there's the extra expense of cleaning the facilities and possibly testing/monitoring residents.

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
I wouldn't say that it is necessarily malicious, not knowing her exact motivations. Maybe she felt that she had to go into work because they were short staffed and thought that she was low risk of being infected. That being said, it wasn't the smartest idea and now there's the extra expense of cleaning the facilities and possibly testing/monitoring residents.
... it would be hard to believe what her motivations would be less than malicious given that 1. she works in a "LTC" facility that have a record of deaths or the highest risk for that, 2. not her concern if the facility is short of staff as she could have called in management to determine her job attendance, and 3. how does she know she's of "low" risk, not to her selfish-self but to "others"? Was she hiding under a rock at the LTC? ... the pandemic has been raging for about 10 months and still on.

Moreover, I don't suppose she has been willy-nilly "charged" under the Quarantine Act?

Here's another one (latest):

Lindsay resident charged with breaking quarantine act after returning to Canada from foreign country

·
Registered
4,916 Posts

.. this incident reminds me of this dedicated employee who writes/wrote? for the TO Star early on in the pandemic:

Why I won’t stay at home when I’m sick

...I don’t generally get worried about new infectious diseases, and COVID-19 is no exception. Being one of the fortunate few who is both healthy and resident in a wealthy country with an advanced and accessible medical system, I can afford not to panic.

New viruses, I reason, are like being hit by a truck or punched in the face: they will happen in this wide chaotic world of ours from time to time, and beyond a few basic precautions there is little I personally can do to stop them.

Of course I do the little that is within my power — for my own good and that of the community in which I live. I cover my mouth when I cough and I regularly wash and sanitize my hands.

What I don’t — and won’t do is stay home from work when I’m sick. This isn’t because I’m ignorant or uncaring about others; it’s because, like a great many people in this country, I just can’t afford it.

People in more privileged economic positions — including, I’m assuming, those responsible for telling the rest of us to stay home from work when we’re sick — don’t seem to truly understand what this means, so allow me to explain.

If I don’t go to work, even for one hour, I don’t get paid. At one of my jobs (like many people in this economy, I have several) my weekly pay is contingent on me showing up to deliver a class in-person. This means that if I cancel class one week because I am sick, I get no pay for that week — even if I spend the rest of the same week grading papers and responding to student emails from home. ...
... I guess the almighty dollar trumps her life and others. She better put in more hours to pay that fine.

·
Super Moderator
3,304 Posts
Some not good news for those going to Costco .... Costco workers quit in protest

Actually, I'm not surprised by this news. Last few times I was in that store (before masks were required) they were very lax about 2m spacing. They even had side by side checkouts with less than 1m spacing between customers open when other checkouts with more than 2m spacing were kept closed.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
... it would be hard to believe what her motivations would be less than malicious given that 1. she works in a "LTC" facility that have a record of deaths or the highest risk for that, 2. not her concern if the facility is short of staff as she could have called in management to determine her job attendance, and 3. how does she know she's of "low" risk, not to her selfish-self but to "others"? Was she hiding under a rock at the LTC? ... the pandemic has been raging for about 10 months and still on.

Moreover, I don't suppose she has been willy-nilly "charged" under the Quarantine Act?
I think there's a big difference between malicious intent and just being stupid. I doubt she was thinking that she was going to deliberately try to infect residents or other workers. It could be that in her mind, because she is wearing PPE at work (I'm assuming that must be the policy), there is going to be a low likelihood of transmission considering that she doesn't have any symptoms. There aren't many details in the article and the fact that she was scheduled to work without accounting for quarantine does mean that she intended to go to work regardless. Remember that there are lots of nurses and doctors who think that this COVID situation is exaggerated, and she could be one of them even though she is working in the LTC.

No, she breached the Quarantine Act so she should be charged, I'm not disputing that. I'm just disputing that she was being malicious about it. Remember there are a lot of clueless people out there. Remember Hanlon's razor: Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
I went for groceries yesterday and grabbed enough to get me past New Years at least. Milk and bread I can get at Shoppers Drug.
I am ready to hibernate.

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
I think there's a big difference between malicious intent and just being stupid. I doubt she was thinking that she was going to deliberately try to infect residents or other workers. It could be that in her mind, because she is wearing PPE at work (I'm assuming that must be the policy), there is going to be a low likelihood of transmission considering that she doesn't have any symptoms. There aren't many details in the article and the fact that she was scheduled to work without accounting for quarantine does mean that she intended to go to work regardless. Remember that there are lots of nurses and doctors who think that this COVID situation is exaggerated, and she could be one of them even though she is working in the LTC.
... that is an interesting revelation.

Just how do you know there're "lots" of "nurses & doctors" who think the COVID situation is "exaggerated"? That's like saying Covid19 is not a novel disease, it's just a flu. Hopefully these kind of nurses & doctors don't have to work in LTC, nursing home, and the likes. And that they make sure their patients don't die (or maybe they hope they do?) before themselves catching it. Better yet, don't bother with gearing up on the PPEs and pass it onto others who think this pandemic is very seriously unexaggerated.

No, she breached the Quarantine Act so she should be charged, I'm not disputing that. I'm just disputing that she was being malicious about it. Remember there are a lot of clueless people out there. Remember Hanlon's razor: Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.
... okay, maybe it was unintentional maliciousness but calling her as being clueless, stupid (or call it what you want) in this case equates to "excuses" IMO.

·
Registered
573 Posts
The lady should be given a medal for not being a sheep. Those enforcing the quarantine should be tried for crimes against humanity. How dumb can the herd be wanting to quarantine the healthy for a virus so weak most people do not even know they have it? It was not that long ago there were witch hunters that burned people @ the stake. Man's nature has not changed. The modern day Witch hunters are gang stalkers pretending to keep us safe AKA as contract tracers

·
Registered
17,949 Posts
Some not good news for those going to Costco .... Costco workers quit in protest

Actually, I'm not surprised by this news. Last few times I was in that store (before masks were required) they were very lax about 2m spacing. They even had side by side checkouts with less than 1m spacing between customers open when other checkouts with more than 2m spacing were kept closed.
Interesting, thanks for sharing.

People often forget about the health and safety of the workers in these stores. A big reason to wear masks is to keep those employees safe! Sure, for us customers we are going in & out pretty quick and maybe not exposed to much. But an employee in the store is exposed all day long to everyone's breath... this cumulative exposure is far more dangerous.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Interesting, thanks for sharing.

People often forget about the health and safety of the workers in these stores. A big reason to wear masks is to keep those employees safe! Sure, for us customers we are going in & out pretty quick and maybe not exposed to much. But an employee in the store is exposed all day long to everyone's breath... this cumulative exposure is far more dangerous.
I know workers that have quit for having to wear masks.

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
The lady should be given a medal for not being a sheep. Those enforcing the quarantine should be tried for crimes against humanity. How dumb can the herd be wanting to quarantine the healthy for a virus so weak most people do not even know they have it? It was not that long ago there were witch hunters that burned people @ the stake. Man's nature has not changed. The modern day Witch hunters are gang stalkers pretending to keep us safe AKA as contract tracers
... (n)(n)(n)(n) to your post and tell that to the dedicated life-saving nurses & oath-sworned doctors (which are not the kind bgc mentioned in his post #2993):

Five days of the second wave: An inside look at Toronto hospitals’ fall offensive against COVID-19

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
I know workers that have quit for having to wear masks.
... their prerogative ... just keep the germs to themselves when in a store or on a transit. Please tell these workers you know of to stay at least 6 feet away from those with masks on.

2981 - 3000 of 3007 Posts