Canadian Money Forum banner

2961 - 2980 of 3012 Posts

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
I would have never felt that a global pandemic would look/feel this way. I guess I fell for the Hollywood versions,

if you didn’t watch/surf the news, and stayed off social media...would you know anything was going on, I was driving through Toronto/Mississauga yesterday along the QEW...lots of cars (assuming they’re are going to family for Thanksgiving). And the shopping mall parking lots were full. Maybe that’s a good thing.....maybe it’s not.

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
if you didn’t watch/surf the news, and stayed off social media...would you know anything was going on,
This could be part of the problem, particularly with younger people. All some do, is text each other. No way they sit down and watch news on TV or listen to CBC. They hear about Covid by word of mouth and what they hear is not always accurate, but it gets repeated.

Then there are others who maybe are not so young, who only read or watch US news from the likes of CNN and Fox - Those with closed minds perhaps only watch or read one of those. Then they repeat right or wrong to family/friends/kids who don't evaluate for themselves. Seems we see that going on even here.

Maybe we should have large electronic billboards in major cities and on busy highways with unbiased Covid rules, advice and current data? Need to do something to prevent the spread while keeping people working.

·
Registered
13,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,964
The Ontario government needs to stratify their messaging and fix the nursing home and hospital care problems.

People are getting fed up and Ford's "deep concerns" don't cut it anymore.

·
Registered
13,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,965 (Edited)
There is a real and grave danger that COVID will overpower our healthcare system in Ontario.

Ontario's nursing home problems have been well documented for years, and the latest reports show nothing has changed.

Ontario's hospitals are at over 100% capacity all the time, without additional COVID and seasonal flu cases.

The wait time to move a patient from the ER to a room often extends into days, while they lay on a gurney in a closet or supply room.

Year long waits for needed diagnostic testing and surgeries are not acceptable, and yet the Ford government was looking to cut funding further.

We need more hospitals, more doctors, more nurses, more equipment..........not less. The population is increasing and aging.

In other news.....it looks like the Conservative government in Alberta is practicing the same bad policies. They are cutting funding to healthcare too.

Cut funding to healthcare while giving billions to oil companies and pipelines that will never be built ?

·
Registered
3,279 Posts
This could be part of the problem, particularly with younger people. All some do, is text each other. No way they sit down and watch news on TV or listen to CBC. They hear about Covid by word of mouth and what they hear is not always accurate, but it gets repeated.

Then there are others who maybe are not so young, who only read or watch US news from the likes of CNN and Fox - Those with closed minds perhaps only watch or read one of those. Then they repeat right or wrong to family/friends/kids who don't evaluate for themselves. Seems we see that going on even here.

Maybe we should have large electronic billboards in major cities and on busy highways with unbiased Covid rules, advice and current data? Need to do something to prevent the spread while keeping people working.
This is not just a problem with younger people. Obviously when you see a person, older then 60, slightly overweight, etc., and not social distancing/wearing masks, you are dealing with someone who obviously does not understand what is actually happening. Think about that for a moment. There is really no other excuse, then ignorance or some kind of stupid emotion like bravery or some other nonsense, that is making them think this way. Why they possess this ignorance I cannot say, but obviously they do.

The young person age 30 however, could be completely up to speed with this issue, have a PhD in microbiology and if they made their decision that Covid-19 was not a problem, I might have a much harder time arguing against them. In their personal case, getting infected with Covid-19 is not their biggest problem. Most of them would probably agree that their bigger problem is what we are currently doing about Covid-19, not the virus itself.

·
Registered
13,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,967
Younger adults might want to take a look beyond COVID deaths into the long lasting symptoms that many of their peers are suffering after contracting the virus.

The latest documented symptom is a total loss of hearing. We already know about organ and respiractory damage long term.

Risking a lifetime with those ailments for a night out with friends, looks like a bargain with the devil to me.

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Younger adults might want to take a look beyond COVID deaths into the long lasting symptoms that many of their peers are suffering after contracting the virus.

The latest documented symptom is a total loss of hearing. We already know about organ and respiractory damage long term.

Risking a lifetime with those ailments for a night out with friends, looks like a bargain with the devil to me.
I keep hearing anecdotal stories about multiple long term problems but they all seem to be unverified. I can't believe that there are hundreds or thousands of young people with long term health problems and it's not being reported by the fear mongering media daily.

·
Registered
12,902 Posts

The risk of heart damage may not be limited to older and middle-aged adults. For example, young adults with COVID-19, including athletes, can also suffer from myocarditis. Severe heart damage has occurred in young, healthy people, but is rare. There may be more cases of mild effects of COVID-19 on the heart that can be diagnosed with special imaging tests, including in younger people with mild or minimal symptoms; however, the long-term significance of these mild effects on the heart are unknown. CDC will continue to assess and provide updates as new data emerge.
• In a telephone survey of symptomatic adults who had a positive outpatient test result for SARS-CoV-2, 35% had not returned to their usual state of health when interviewed 2–3 weeks after testing.1
• Among those 18 to 34 years in good health, 20% (1 in 5) reported that some symptoms were prolonged.

[...]
Body systems and organs that can be affected :
• Heart
 Damage to heart muscle, heart failure
• Lungs
 Damage to lung tissue and restrictive lung failure
• Brain and the nervous system
 Loss of sense of smell (anosmia)
 Consequences of thrombo-embolic events such as pulmonary embolism, heart attack, stroke
 Cognitive impairment (e.g. memory and concentration)
• Mental health
 Anxiety, depression, post-traumatic stress disorder and sleep disturbance
• Musculoskeletal and others
 Pain in join and muscles
 Fatigue
So, COVID-19 may contribute to early disability and death even for people who do not die immediately from the infection.

·
Registered
3,279 Posts
I keep hearing anecdotal stories about multiple long term problems but they all seem to be unverified. I can't believe that there are hundreds or thousands of young people with long term health problems and it's not being reported by the fear mongering media daily.
I tend to agree. One of the biggest problems we have with this particular Corona virus is the large disparity between how it affects the old compared to how it affects the young. As always, there will be exceptions but I think we all know who is at grave risk and who really is not at risk at all.

If this thing keeps going on, well beyond next summer for example, there is no doubt in my mind that the governments are going to have to come up with some form of age discriminatory rules to address both groups more fairly. People being put under different restrictions depending on their age. I would add health status as well, but that is more difficult to verify then age.

So in other words, people between 18 and 40 will be able to pretty much go on with their life. Pack the bars and restaurants all you want because people age 41 to forever are not allowed in. Everyone wears masks in retail stores OR we come up with some way to have one group go in one day and the other group go in the other. I have not figured this one out yet since my biggest obstacle is what to do with the elder generations that need help taking care of themselves. They are a more difficult row to hoe.

Disclosure: I am 56

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
... when you see a person, older then 60, slightly overweight, etc., and not social distancing/wearing masks, you are dealing with someone who obviously does not understand what is actually happening. Think about that for a moment. There is really no other excuse, then ignorance or some kind of stupid emotion like bravery or some other nonsense, that is making them think this way. Why they possess this ignorance I cannot say, but obviously they do.
CNN interviewed some of those attending Trumps rally in Florida. No masks, no social distancing. Asked them some questions. One though masks were a danger to our health - something about restricting breathings or ????. Another lady fely she kept herself heathy and saw no reason why she would get the Covid. And if she did, it was the will of God. One when asked if she would wear a mask if Trump said she should - she was quick to say YES???

These were people that looked just like you average American (or Canadian) . It is hard to understand. The whole thing has been politicized in the USA and even here in Canada (including on this forum) These are not basically ignorant people, but it seems they have become so so far as the panademic is concerned.

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
So, COVID-19 may contribute to early disability and death even for people who do not die immediately from the infection.
"may", "can also". Plus "severe heart damage has occurred in young, healthy people, but is rare." So anything that has happened that is confirmed is rare.

That's basically what I said. We're not hearing about hundreds or thousands of cases of young people with long term health issues. All we have heard is "may" or "can happen", and in the event of something actually happening is it "rare".

·
Registered
12,902 Posts
Well, given that these things are rare in young people anyway, it would be significantly increased risk (ie, doubling risk, etc.). Each person can make their own determination. You skipped the part where 20% of 18-35 outpatient COVID cases had lingering health issues. That is not a small number.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
One of my neighbours was a life long nurse. Now retired. She asked if it was ok for her to remove her mask while we were indoors together. She claimed ”it‘s all a hoax”

·
Registered
4,919 Posts
^ So was it a Yes or a No for her to remove her mask whilst indoors with ya?

Of course, she claims it's a hoax as she's retired. And her new friends ain't nurses either.

·
Registered
4,919 Posts
The Ontario government needs to stratify their messaging and fix the nursing home and hospital care problems.

People are getting fed up and Ford's "deep concerns" don't cut it anymore.
... I think the minister & administration et al in charge of that portfolio should be fired first ... the $$$ saved can go towards fixing LTC, nursing homes and hospital care.

·
Registered
4,919 Posts
CNN ... And if she did, it was the will of God. One when asked if she would wear a mask if Trump said she should - she was quick to say YES???

These were people that looked just like you average American (or Canadian) . It is hard to understand. The whole thing has been politicized in the USA and even here in Canada (including on this forum) These are not basically ignorant people, but it seems they have become so so far as the panademic is concerned.
... nope, but superiorly arrogant.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
CNN interviewed some of those attending Trumps rally in Florida. No masks, no social distancing. Asked them some questions. One though masks were a danger to our health - something about restricting breathings or ????.
There are no alternatives at this point but masks do put the user at increased risk. What is one of the number one public health recommendations - wash your hands. And what do mask wearers do all day long with their dirty hands - touch their mask, re-adjust the fit, place the mask in their dirty pocket, armrest of their car, etc. In perfect world you would only touch your mask with sterile hands, place it on a sterile surface, etc. This is not happening. The general public are touching their faces more than ever. People are re-using disposable masks for weeks on end, not washing their cloth masks regularly, etc.

Not wearing a masks is not an alternative as it puts us in a much worse position.

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
There are no alternatives at this point but masks do put the user at increased risk. ot washing their cloth masks regularly, etc.

Not wearing a masks is not an alternative as it puts us in a much worse position.
I agree, but really the reason for washing hands, is so that you don't transfer the virus from something you touched, like a doorknob or whatever to your mouth or eyes. If you touch the outside of mask, not as much of a problem. I agree, that masks do give us a false sense of security, but it does seem that overall they do help a lot.

·
Registered
17,965 Posts
Manitoba, particularly Winnipeg's, numbers are getting really bad.

Winnipeg's positive test rate is now 4.4%, a new high. This is a leading (or at least 'real time') indicator and shows the current trajectory. The virus is currently spreading among the community at levels that Winnipeg (and MB) has never seen before.

A man in his 40s with no underlying health conditions has died of COVID.

Manitoba was doing extremely well ever since the start of COVID and had virtually nil cases until August. Then the situation rapidly changed in Aug/Sep/Oct. Why? I don't know... something obviously changed.

2961 - 2980 of 3012 Posts