Canadian Money Forum banner

2781 - 2800 of 2850 Posts

·
Registered
989 Posts
Social Distancing is totally unacceptable to the human race and people under 12 years old with depression and fear must be huge.

Students expecting to enter the work force prior to Covid-19, after completion of school must be totally devastated. Imagine the dreams that have been destroyed and they are bankrupted with student loans.

Most social programs were directed towards those who had a job and not those looking for a job.

I am seriously beginning to think that we will be wearing masks for a lifetime.

·
Registered
4,036 Posts
Social Distancing is totally unacceptable to the human race and people under 12 years old with depression and fear must be huge.

Students expecting to enter the work force prior to Covid-19, after completion of school must be totally devastated. Imagine the dreams that have been destroyed and they are bankrupted with student loans.

Most social programs were directed towards those who had a job and not those looking for a job.

Canadian students shouldn't be massively in debt in Canada.

College/university programs are $4-6k/yr. In Ontario.
That's $10-20k for a 2 or 3 year program, less than the price of a new car.

What I did to graduate from University debt free, saved before school, worked summers, didn't buy a car until after I graduated.

·
Registered
17,633 Posts
Why would you think that? This is widely expected to subside by next summer. Even if there isn't a vaccine, treatments will be much better than they are today and the virus won't be much of a threat. We're only about 10 months away.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Every time I saw Trump without a mask, I always asked myself what did Trump know that I did not know? In some of my comments here, I mentioned that I thought Trump was suicidal.

It seemed to me that it was the institution of the presidency which was protecting trump from the virus, not so much a deliberate choice by Trump.

The media and social networking informed us of the "Serious Truth" and still Trump pranced around with what seemed to be an I don't give a sh?t attitude.

Trump has infected his cult following with talk of a Rapture and his peace treaties with Israel reinforce the The End of Days belief system. It reminds me of that guy Jim Jones (Jonestown, Guyana 1978) and David Koresh (Waco 1983). Christian Zionists (John Hagee - CUFI) follow dispensationalist theology and when the faithful are to be lifted up to Heaven while the rest of humanity—including most of the Jews—will perish.

It was not only Trump who lied ..... It was the whole of government which allowed Trump to lie and downplay how serious this virus is.

I mentioned in earlier comments that I believed that governments were going to privatize data collection to ensure that it would not be subject to FOIA requests. All governments plan to hide the true numbers and true scope of this pandemic.

I have very little trust with any report from governments.

Governments are only stalling for time and prodding us on with "Plans".

They give us a "Plan" which will come to completion in 2 or 3 months and then we all sit back and wait.
We live our lives in 2 month segments.

I think we are being immersed into a lifetime of mask wearing a bit at a time and with "Plans" prodding us along.

While waiting for another bat to bite a dog in China.

·
Registered
12,732 Posts
Canadian students shouldn't be massively in debt in Canada.

College/university programs are $4-6k/yr. In Ontario.
That's $10-20k for a 2 or 3 year program, less than the price of a new car.

What I did to graduate from University debt free, saved before school, worked summers, didn't buy a car until after I graduated.
Maybe 20 years ago?

I paid more than that, and I graduated over a decade ago. My alma mater does not have a single program with tuition costs that low.

For me, tuition and books at the time were around $8k-9k per year. Living expenses were another $8k-$9k. I could have eaten buttered noodles every day and made that a bit less. I did earn money during school and graduated with very manageable debt, but that is not going to be the case for everyone.

·
Registered
17,633 Posts
Every time I saw Trump without a mask, I always asked myself what did Trump know that I did not know? In some of my comments here, I mentioned that I thought Trump was suicidal.
I also assumed he was suicidal. Because of all the crimes he's committed, I still think he might commit suicide if he loses the protection of government.

He's more like a cult leader than many people imagine.

·
Registered
12,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,787 (Edited)
The cost of tuition and living expenses for a young woman to earn a Masters Degree in criminal psychology........$125,000.

She is now working for a big European bank earning $100,000 a year, (seems fitting somehow) but still that is a lot of debt to pay back with interest.

WSIB paid $28,000 for our son's training as a heavy equipment operator at a private trades college. It was a 9 month program.

The days of cheap education are long gone.

·
Registered
4,036 Posts
Maybe 20 years ago?

I paid more than that, and I graduated over a decade ago. My alma mater does not have a single program with tuition costs that low.

For me, tuition and books at the time were around $8k-9k per year. Living expenses were another $8k-$9k. I could have eaten buttered noodles every day and made that a bit less. I did earn money during school and graduated with very manageable debt, but that is not going to be the case for everyone.
What school?
U of T is $6k & change/year for most Bachelor programs.

·
Registered
4,036 Posts
I'd like to point out that your link wasn't to tuition.
It included a lot of unnecessary fees that Doug Ford tried to make optional.

I don't think students should be forced to fund Left wing advocacy groups such as WPIRG, or the food bank with mandatory fees.

If you want to fund a social justice group while at school, that's fine, but don't make it mandatory, then complain about the "high cost of education".

·
Registered
12,732 Posts
I voted to eliminate funding for wpirg as a student, don't lecture me on it. I think you'll find that those incidentals are not a material contributor to the costs as stated.

Here is the fee breakdown:

Most programs, the base tuition is more per semester than the $6k you indicate per year.

·
Registered
12,732 Posts

·
Registered
4,036 Posts
Maybe film studies? Engineering etc look to be $14k. From what I gathered in the 5 minutes of digging I'm willing to do at this point. UofT tuition seems to be a lot more convoluted.
Wow, just looked at the various Bachelor degrees.
Didn't think to see how bad "deregulation" got.

Really I should have just become a firefighter or plumber.

·
Registered
17,633 Posts
I think I paid around 6K a year in Engineering, but that was a less expensive university about 20 years ago. So let's see, 6K if it were bumped up fairly to Toronto prices (higher cost center and better school) might have been 8K at the time. Now apply inflation with a slightly higher rate than CPI

8 * 1.03^20 = 14K

That's not too surprising. Seems about right for UofT engineering tuition at 3% inflation.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Vaccine producer says it could take ‘four to five years’ for the world to receive a COVID-19 dose
----
The head executive of the world’s largest vaccine producer is cautioning that the world’s population may not be fully vaccinated against the coronavirus until at least the end of 2024, he said in an interview with the Financial Times.
----
He also said if we need double shots of the vaccine per person — similar to vaccinations for illnesses like measles — then the world may need 15 billion doses. Poonawalla’s company, which has partnered with five international pharmaceutical firms, has already committed to produce 1 billion doses; half of those doses are earmarked for India, according to the Financial Times.
------------
By Jaclyn Reiss
September 14, 2020

·
Registered
4,036 Posts
Vaccine producer says it could take ‘four to five years’ for the world to receive a COVID-19 dose
----
The head executive of the world’s largest vaccine producer is cautioning that the world’s population may not be fully vaccinated against the coronavirus until at least the end of 2024, he said in an interview with the Financial Times.
----
He also said if we need double shots of the vaccine per person — similar to vaccinations for illnesses like measles — then the world may need 15 billion doses. Poonawalla’s company, which has partnered with five international pharmaceutical firms, has already committed to produce 1 billion doses; half of those doses are earmarked for India, according to the Financial Times.
------------
By Jaclyn Reiss
September 14, 2020
What if we need a dose annually? or every 3-4 months.

This is going to be very expensive.

·
Registered
3,247 Posts
I really can't imagine Covid-19 being very dangerous to us after we have introduced the pathogen to the majority of our population. We may still get sick but I suspect an initial vaccine or infection should render it less harmful then the flu.

·
Registered
3,478 Posts
I really can't imagine Covid-19 being very dangerous to us after we have introduced the pathogen to the majority of our population. We may still get sick but I suspect an initial vaccine or infection should render it less harmful then the flu.
That's called guessing OptsyEagle. We can all guess anything.

·
Registered
3,247 Posts
That's called guessing OptsyEagle. We can all guess anything.
so was the pessimistic point, made just before mine, that I was responding to. I don't recall showing a link of proof so I doubt anyone misunderstood my lack of 100% proof, but thanks for ensuring clarity.

That said, most other viruses become less dangerous as our bodies acquire recognition of the virus. That creates a quicker immune response. A quicker immune response reduces the viruses ability to hurt us. If most other viruses work this way, I see no reason yet, why the covid-19 virus will not act in a similar manner. That is my guess. Certainly a better guess then the one made before mine, but only time will tell.

·
Registered
4,036 Posts
I really can't imagine AIDS, malaria, ebola, MERS, menengitis, hepatitus being very dangerous to us... wait they are.

·
Registered
3,247 Posts
I really can't imagine AIDS, malaria, ebola, MERS, menengitis, hepatitus being very dangerous to us... wait they are.
The common cold use to kill humans many millenniums ago, it does not today. The flu was much deadlier as well. I could make a list a lot longer then yours, but since those viruses have become so benign it is hard to remember them all. Most have gone off our history books. Only the few scary ones are still with us.

Look. Neither of us know the future precisely. You made a valid guess, and so did I. Maybe we should leave it to the future to determine which guess is more correct. I just doubt we will need a vaccine every 3 or 4 months. That sounded a little pessimistic to me.

2781 - 2800 of 2850 Posts