Canadian Money Forum banner

2761 - 2780 of 2850 Posts

·
Registered
17,633 Posts
Well it looks like one of my friends (also a business partner) has COVID. He's in another country.

He's actually been weirdly sick, off and on, over the last few months. None of them were that serious but it kept putting him out of commission. To be honest, I think he made a mistake by not listening to his body. He had been weakened over the last few months with more than one cold. He did get a previous test, which said he didn't have COVID, and maybe that gave him a false sense of security.

He's my age, but he HAS been socializing, and lives with roommates who don't distance. Many guests and friends have been coming to that house and there have been parties at the house (not something he organized, but it happened in the shared place). It seems plausible that he caught it from the various people who have been within the house, or roommates.

·
Registered
12,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,762 (Edited)
Watching the news last night, there is a support and lobby group formed of 100,000 people who had COVID and are now suffering from a wide range of weird symptoms and problems months later. Their doctors are baffled and playing catch up as the symptoms keep changing.

Onset of diabetes, heart disease, tachcardia, atrial fibrillation, kidney and liver failure, glaucoma, headaches, neurological problems.......the list is unbelievable.

Some experts have been conducting studies on them and have concluded that COVID is primarily a "blood vessel disease" and affects all areas of the body.

COVID causes long lasting inflammation of the blood vessels. Now they can focus on finding treatments or medications that work effectively against it.

It should be noted.........many of those suffering long term affects are younger adults, who were previously in excellent health with no other health problems.

The theory that younger people are "safer" from COVID is false. They may not die as often from it, but are suffering from the long term effects

Opening up the economy, schools etc is a big mistake. We will be suffering the same outbreaks as are happening everywhere else that opened up.

We are not only not immune from a second wave of COVID. We are actively encouraging it. It isn't "safe" until the infection rate is 0 for 28 days.

·
Registered
12,732 Posts
Well it looks like one of my friends (also a business partner) has COVID. He's in another country.

He's actually been weirdly sick, off and on, over the last few months. None of them were that serious but it kept putting him out of commission. To be honest, I think he made a mistake by not listening to his body. He had been weakened over the last few months with more than one cold. He did get a previous test, which said he didn't have COVID, and maybe that gave him a false sense of security.

He's my age, but he HAS been socializing, and lives with roommates who don't distance. Many guests and friends have been coming to that house and there have been parties at the house (not something he organized, but it happened in the shared place). It seems plausible that he caught it from the various people who have been within the house, or roommates.
I was visiting a site for work this week. I received notification that someone who was working there that day has tested positive, but that I didn't come in close contact with them. Obviously it is in Ontario so everyone was wearing masks.

·
Registered
12,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,764 (Edited)
Infections are climbing again in Canada, and all over the world.

The virus does not appear to be seasonal. Some countries like India, France, South Korea, Sweden......are suffering new outbreaks.

Provincial numbers in Canada are rising again, just as businesses and schools re-open.

Schools are reporting outbreaks already. Alberta has reported several cases from primary schools.

Astro Zeneca halted the trials for their vaccine for the 2nd time, due to a patient suffering severe adverse effects. The situation is evolving.

No sense in fooling ourselves. This is going to be a rough winter. We normally decorate our front porch 4 times a year.

Summer, Canada Day, Halloween, and Christmas. It looks like we will be skipping Halloween this year.

·
Registered
17,633 Posts
Watching the news last night, there is a support and lobby group formed of 100,000 people who had COVID and are now suffering from a wide range of weird symptoms and problems months later. Their doctors are baffled and playing catch up as the symptoms keep changing.

Onset of diabetes, heart disease, tachcardia, atrial fibrillation, kidney and liver failure, glaucoma, headaches, neurological problems.......the list is unbelievable.
. . .
It should be noted.........many of those suffering long term affects are younger adults, who were previously in excellent health with no other health problems.
Yes. Young people are not safe from COVID. It's sad that they can't understand the danger, both to them and the community.

This isn't just a cold or flu, though many people still seem to believe that.

·
Registered
989 Posts
'Play it down': Trump admits to concealing the true threat of coronavirus in new Woodward book
By Jamie Gangel, Jeremy Herb and Elizabeth Stuart
September 09, 2020

·
Registered
12,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,767
This is huge and after all the damage that Trump has done, it is a microscopic virus that brings him down. The virus is smarter than Republicans.

·
Registered
3,247 Posts
The virus is smarter than Republicans.
One could argue the virus is smarter then a lot of us but that would not be totally true. The fact is that we understand the virus well enough to obliterate it from our existence...but...we humans have a serious weakness, that the virus does not. We let our emotions override our brains.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
This is huge and after all the damage that Trump has done, it is a microscopic virus that brings him down. The virus is smarter than Republicans.
It's not huge, it's barely even news. However, Cuomo seeding the care homes with Covid positive seniors and killing thousands is real news.

A man executing a 5-year old child in broad daylight is news but the news the left prefers elevates a violent sex offender to hero status.

·
Registered
12,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,770 (Edited)
Wishing away the virus, praying away the virus, or cursing the virus hasn't changed anything.

The only thing that has changed outcomes is what you list above.

·
Registered
3,247 Posts
Right now we are expecting the second wave of corona. The only possible thing is to continue following precautions.staying in your bubble,
follow social distancing and never forget to wear masks.
Excellent post. Unfortuneately everything you said has been heard over and over again by our population so unfortuneately it looks like we are going to need these people to experience some personal losses before they respond appropriately. It seems to always be this way with our culture. The unfortuneate part of all this is that those deaths are not going to go alone. They will take a few others with them. People who are trying hard to act appropriately but just make a few innocent mistakes. That is also the way it always is as well.

Anyway, wear your mask, keep away from everyone, including your social bubble (there is no safe bubble but fewer and smaller is better then more and larger) and you should be fine...no matter how others behave.

·
Registered
12,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,772
It's not huge, it's barely even news. However, Cuomo seeding the care homes with Covid positive seniors and killing thousands is real news.

A man executing a 5-year old child in broad daylight is news but the news the left prefers elevates a violent sex offender to hero status.
Arrest them all and put them on trial. I don't play the "this person is just as bad" game.

·
Registered
17,633 Posts
For context on just how serious COVID-19 is

"Covid is now the No. 3 cause of death in the US -- ahead of accidents, injuries, lung disease, diabetes, Alzheimer's, and many, many other causes," said Dr. Thomas Frieden, a former director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Here are now the top causes of death:

1. heart disease
2. cancer
3. COVID-19

·
Registered
4,037 Posts
Arrest them all and put them on trial. I don't play the "this person is just as bad" game.
I completely agree.

If there is evidence they committed a crime charge them and have a trial. Be careful, if you insist on holding people accountable someone is going to consider you alt-right.

Cuomo, putting seniors with COVID19 in care homes was incredibly reckless, morally criminal, but I'm not sure the act was legally criminal.

·
Registered
17,633 Posts
If there is evidence they committed a crime charge them and have a trial. Be careful, if you insist on holding people accountable someone is going to consider you alt-right.
Wrong. The reason I think you are alt-right / far right is not because you said that criminals should be charged. I agree that people who commit violent attacks should be charged - always.

The reason I think you are far right is that you fit the pattern. For many years, you have made apologies for the right wing extremists (Patriot Prayer, Proud Boys, etc) even while they committed acts of violence. You always tried to deflect attention away from them, even while their activities keep increasing and becoming more violent and threatening to society.

You showed sympathy for right wing terrorists and extremists by always downplaying, or trying to deflect, whenever there was news of another one of their attacks.

You made misogynist statements. For example, you showed contempt for men you thought were feminine, showing a contempt for females and a belief in the superiority of masculinity.

You talked about your interest in weapons/guns. Combined with your appreciation for vigilante gangs, and sympathy for violent right wing attackers like Rittenhouse and the armed convoy which attacked Portland, you are nearly a perfect fit for the "far right" persona.

These are not normal positions to have. They are radical ideologies.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Yes ..... we were all foolish enough ..... and I now understand how

How the Coronavirus Attacks the Brain
It’s not just the lungs — the pathogen may enter brain cells, causing symptoms like delirium and confusion, scientists reported.

It seems that between 37 and 42% of the country has been infected on the "Right" side of their brains.

....the coronavirus invades brain cells, hijacking them to make copies of itself. The virus also seems to suck up all of the oxygen nearby, starving neighboring cells to death.
By Apoorva Mandavilli
September 09, 2020

·
Registered
17,633 Posts

Interesting article on risk of catching COVID-19 on a flight.

In the US, the risk of infection is about 1 in 4000 if a flight is full, estimates Arnold Barnett at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. If the middle seats are left empty, the risk falls to 1 in 8000.
Really wish they'd leave the middle seats empty. This is my Christmas wish this year. If Air Canada left the middle seats empty, I would buy a ticket tomorrow.

I want to fly to visit my parents (this month) but can't do it when the flights are too full. With COVID numbers rapidly rising, it's too dangerous.

·
Registered
4,762 Posts
Yes ..... we were all foolish enough ..... and I now understand how

How the Coronavirus Attacks the Brain
It’s not just the lungs — the pathogen may enter brain cells, causing symptoms like delirium and confusion, scientists reported.

It seems that between 37 and 42% of the country has been infected on the "Right" side of their brains.

....the coronavirus invades brain cells, hijacking them to make copies of itself. The virus also seems to suck up all of the oxygen nearby, starving neighboring cells to death.
By Apoorva Mandavilli
September 09, 2020
... it's just a flu, says the anti-maskers, anti-vaxxers, pro-hoax on Covid19, etc.

·
Registered
17,633 Posts
... it's just a flu, says the anti-maskers, anti-vaxxers, pro-hoax on Covid19, etc.
One possibility that nobody is thinking about here is that we could end up with an entire generation of people (working class people in 30s and 40s) with severe chronic illness, potential organ damage and reduced lung capacity.

It only happens to some % of people who catch COVID, but if everyone is going to catch it (which seems to be the plan in the USA) then even a small percent can result in a large number of people.

That's the worst case scenario I can think of and I wouldn't rule it out. Everyone who is pushing for quickly getting "back to business" is assuming there will be NO long-lasting health effects or chronic disability.

2761 - 2780 of 2850 Posts