Canadian Money Forum banner

2481 - 2500 of 2652 Posts

·
Registered
17,079 Posts
According to the experts cited here, you don't have to worry so much about cleaning and sanitizing surfaces. The bigger problem is close proximity to infected people, airborne transmission.

Surfaces may not be that dangerous for COVID-19. And people probably shouldn't be wearing gloves for extended lengths of time (see article).

Instead, it's looking -- increasingly -- like air contact and close proximity is the main method of infection. Just about anything outdoors is safer ... good ventilation, lots of air volume.

So get outside and enjoy summer. And if you're indoors, stay away from people.

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
Longterm* symptoms reported by COVID-19 patients
I have been questioning for months why this is not given more attention by the media and government. If you want to scare a 30 year old, don't tell them, you are at lower risk of dying, tell them you are at as high a risk of having long tern health issues.

They need to stop using the word 'recovered' when in fact they are only talking about 'didn't die.' We see three numbers. Number of cases, deaths and recovered.

Anyone reading those numbers I am sure interprets 'recovered' as meaning FULLY recovered with no ongoing or lasting negative health affects. That's simply not true at all.

A 30 year old out partying with friends fearlessly might think differently if told, if you get the virus you have a good chance of having life long lung problems or perhaps neurological damage or may lose your sense of smell and taste permanently, etc. etc.

·
Registered
768 Posts
I have been questioning for months why this is not given more attention by the media and government.
Perhaps the press is not telling us any truth because we would not have any workers stacking the shelves at grocery stores? Maybe they know any real truth would result in an increase in suicides?

It seems to me that reporters are acting as "Bickering Contestants".

In America the congress has named the new bailout plan as The Heroes Act because anybody working to stack grocery shelves and anyone manning the barricades against the ongoing revolt will be given huge increases in benefits and payroll. Martial Law will be introduced and those that bash-in the heads of protesters will be named as Heroes.

I think the press is downplaying every item reported and are spoon feeding the population.
I am thinking that we will all be doing this mask routine and hibernating like hermits for a minimum of 3-5 years. In the near term, no vaccine will be 100 percent effective.

All this chatter about returning to school is just to soothe the population and to have it appear that governments have things under control. The amount of money required to equip our schools and operate "normally" is prohibitive. Just "Distancing" would mean ordering 10's of thousands of portable classrooms and revamping the overhead ventilation systems in order to redirect air movement. In Canada additional ventilation would have heating costs skyrocket.

·
Registered
768 Posts
My patient caught Covid-19 twice.

My patient, however, cleared his infection — he had two negative PCR tests after his first infection — and felt healthy for nearly six weeks.

50-year-old patient just tested positive for Covid-19, for a second time — three months after a previous infection.

Covid-19 may also be much worse the second time around. During his first infection, my patient experienced a mild cough and sore throat. His second infection, in contrast, was marked by a high fever, shortness of breath, and hypoxia, resulting in multiple trips to the hospital.

My patient caught Covid-19 twice. So long to herd immunity hopes?
Emerging cases of Covid-19 reinfection suggest herd immunity could be wishful thinking.
By D. Clay Ackerly
July 12, 2020

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
As things ease up, it appears we will need to keep a close eye on travellers.
While there is a system in place for this, it could become overwhelming if more people chose to travel.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
For those who think that young people assembling and catching COVID 19 isn't an issue, you may want to read this story.

Long story short, teen goes partying without precautions, friend tests positive and the he starts having cold symptoms. His whole family gets infected and father is in hospital.

·
Registered
17,079 Posts
Long story short, teen goes partying without precautions, friend tests positive and the he starts having cold symptoms. His whole family gets infected and father is in hospital.
Thanks for posting. Some people need these reminders that this is a serious illness... it's not a cold.

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
Wasaga Beach have instituted a 'pod' approach to beach goers. Basically the beach is being divided up by fencing into 'pods' which each have a designated capacity based on square metres and physical distancing. Beach goers get in on a first come, first served basis, up to that capacity. Anyone arriving after capacity is reached will obviously be refused entry.

It has only started and may need some tweeking but it seems like a workable solution to controlling beaches.

Another area of issue is of course bars and there are some unique approaches being taken there in some countries. For example, in the UK, you must give your name and contact phone number when you enter. In some, you must have a reservation, no walk-ins. In some you are limited to a 'time slot' of 2-3 hours. So you cannot sit in a bar/restaurant all night getting drunk.

Greece has had a spike in cases since opening to tourists. A warning to all countries I would say.

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
The federal government has said no to the Blue Jays request to play home games in Toronto.

I am in total agreement with that decision. No matter what restrictions they might have put on the players when they were in Toronto, there would still be risk and it is not necessary to take that risk when the situation is as it is in the USA.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
Perhaps the press is not telling us any truth because we would not have any workers stacking the shelves at grocery stores? Maybe they know any real truth would result in an increase in suicides?
That chicken may have come home to roost already:

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
I am beginning to think that many things are going to get worse before they get better.

The worldwide cases continue to rise and there is no sign of flattening the curve overall. Yesterday the WHO reported a record 250,000 new cases worldwide. We don't live in a bubble here in Canada.

·
Registered
12,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,497
Millions of Americans are getting their wages or hours cut, and it is having an impact on the economy.

Lower wages means less spending which means less economic activity which means lower wages or fewer hours............a downward cycle.

Americans don't have the financial support of Canadians or free healthcare. We need to keep government supports in place or we will look like the US.

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
There is more than just a year ahead for the impact of Covid-19 whether we change our ways or not calm. I think some people still don't realize just how big an impact this is having and will continue to have.

·
Registered
768 Posts
There is more than just a year ahead for the impact of Covid-19
I understood that the scientist was discussing the high infection rates in America at this time and even with the present infection rates (and deaths) as high as they are, infections represent only 7-8 percent of the population.
In order to reach a 50-60% infection rate would require 70,000 cases per day for the next 355 days.

2481 - 2500 of 2652 Posts