Canadian Money Forum banner

2441 - 2460 of 2635 Posts

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
Yup, tell them before they come into Canada they have 72 hrs to cross back into Alaska or it's a $10,000 fine. So if they come back from Alaska going home and they stayed more than 72 hrs in Canada they'd have to pay up before being allowed to cross again.
It's not quite that simple unfortunately. You could equally say, why not simply say that if someone wants to transit across Canada to Alaska that they will simply have to follow the 14 day quarantine rule like any other traveller entering Canada has to do. That they are exempt from that quarantine should have you asking yourself 'how come'?

The answer is because we have a long standing border agreement with the USA that permits Americans to transit Canada to Alaska. It's a law in other words. So if you say to someone who wants to transit to Alaska, 'no, you have to quarantine for 14 days first', then you are breaking the existing border transit law.

To change that, would require a new border law be agreed to by both the USA and Canada. Want to open that kettle of fish for Trump to screw up?

·
Super Moderator
3,223 Posts
The answer is because we have a long standing border agreement with the USA that permits Americans to transit Canada to Alaska. It's a law in other words.
The transit isn't in question, rather the illegal tourist travel while inside Canada. So if you break the rules you get fined and/or denied future entry.

·
Registered
979 Posts
I think it would be hard to prove that COVID didn't contribute to a death, even if it was not the ultimate "cause" of death.

I'm wondering just how common such a secenario is. I think for COVID to not be the cause, a person would have to be considered "near death" before they contracted COVID. When you look at any random person who might die on any particular day, how likely are they to be also infected with COVID at the exact same time? I didn't think the infection rate was so high that there is a huge cohort of people "about to die" that just happen to also have COVID... maybe someone has some actual stats on this.

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
I didn't think the infection rate was so high that there is a huge cohort of people "about to die" that just happen to also have COVID... maybe someone has some actual stats on this.
If someone is "about to die", aren't they isolated in bed already and very, very unlikely to contact the virus?

ltr

·
Registered
12,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,450
COVID doesn't actually kill someone, like a bullet to the heart. It is the symptoms of COVID that kills people.........pneumonia, strokes, etc.

I think it more likely whomeover looks after their Twitter feed screwed up the information.

·
Banned
1,450 Posts
COVID doesn't actually kill someone, like a bullet to the heart. It is the symptoms of COVID that kills people.........pneumonia, strokes, etc.

I think it more likely whomeover looks after their Twitter feed screwed up the information.
The vast majority of people have no symptoms at all and you're talking about non-existent strokes?

You're right that someone screwed up. They accidentally told the truth that they are inflating the numbers. But don't worry...I'm sure a "correction" will be made to ensure it doesn't happen again and going forward we'll be expected to accept made up stats.

·
Registered
979 Posts
There have been only 105,000 tested cases of COVID in Canada, or 0.28% of the population. Let's say Canada normally records 100,000 deaths over the same time period (the actual number varies depending on the month according to Stat Can). Assuming a random sample, it would be expected that 0.28% (280) of those deaths also tested positive for COVID. If the number of reported COVID deaths are higher it could mean a couple things... either dying patients are more likely than the general population to catch COVID but not actually die from it, or else COVID itself is causing the increased deaths. I'd say the latter is more likely -- I don't think dying people are more likely to catch COVID, since they're usually isolated in a hospital bed as like_to_retire pointed out... altough I think he was trying to argue something else.

·
Registered
12,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,453
Everyone around Trump and Pence are getting the virus. It is only a matter of time until they get it.

Now Donald Jr's partner has it and she has been in contact with a lot of Republican donors. I bet they will be happy about it.

·
Registered
3,295 Posts

·
Registered
12,551 Posts
Trump says they should test less to get fewer cases (awesome logic). Of course, they test everyone around Trump on a regular basis because he thinks his life is important.

·
Registered
17,070 Posts
Hundreds of scientists say coronavirus is airborne, ask WHO to revise recommendations

239 scientists in 32 countries are saying that the virus isn't just spread by large droplets expelled from the mouth, but rather that it's airborne and can spread via smaller droplets.

The WHO says it's in large droplets that drop to the floor pretty quickly. These scientists are saying that it's much smaller droplets, and COVID-19 can stay in the air for a longer time -- it doesn't just drop to the floor.

If the scientists are correct, this could mean that inside buildings (including schools and offices) the virus could remain a threat, with recirculated air.

·
Super Moderator
3,223 Posts
If the scientists are correct, this could mean that inside buildings (including schools and offices) the virus could remain a threat, with recirculated air.
Since the paper hasn't been published yet it's difficuly to say what the "proposed" risks are and how far they say it travels. Infection transfer via case tracking in MB doesn't support airbourne transfer.

·
Registered
12,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,458
As if COVID wasn't bad enough, there is now a case of Bubonic Plague (Black Plague) in Mongolia and China has another swine flu outbreak.

I think we will discover years from now that climate change effects produce the fertile conditions that spawn re-emergence of these viruses.

·
Registered
12,551 Posts
Bubonic plague is not a big deal as it is highly treatable and does not spread easily given modern hygiene practices.

I don't think you can blame these outbreaks on global warming.

·
Registered
761 Posts
An MSNBC guest with Andrea Mitchell claimed that 20% of virus people require intensive Care and will have some permanent damage and 1 percent will die.

2441 - 2460 of 2635 Posts