Canadian Money Forum banner

2421 - 2440 of 2635 Posts

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
this virus is a theme which we can talk and talk about, but a few people only really understand the situation we are in, sadly...
You may speak for your fellow Americans GraceMetcal but I think the vast majority of Canadians understand it very well. While you have runaway new cases all over the place, we have only small number of young dummies not acting responsibly. Look at the numbers for Canada vs. the USA and if you translate the to per capita for comparison, Canada is doing very well indeed by comparison. Our fear is Americans coming across our border.

·
Registered
12,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,422
The popular beach at Grand Bend, Ontario was packed with an estimated crowd of 7,000 people.

They are now talking about closing the beach again. People just won't learn.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
Until now, no one I have met or known personally has been afflicted with C-19.

I had a video call from a friend in the Philippines this morning. She lives with family, one of whom is married to a man from Seattle area. They usually spend about half the year in the Phils, half in U.S. I met both of briefly when I was in the Phils in December. They were then about to return to the U.S. They could not stay all winter because he had to be back in Washington by January for reasons related to his business. I would guess he was about age 50. Died yesterday in Seattle, death attributed to C-19.

That perhaps explains why we are seeing so many cars these days here in central Vancouver Island area with Washington plates. Coming here to escape. Apparently very easy, they just chant the magic words "driving to Alaska" and open sesame. In fact, I would doubt they are even questioned in seeking to cross. Lots of our hotels are closed, but the B and B places are chock-a-block full up with tourists and loving it. A silver lining for some in all of this. One Quadra Island operator told me it was his best season ever.

·
Registered
883 Posts
I haven’t been following the cases in the US too closely but today I heard that movie theatres were open in California. Are most states essentially open for business? I don’t think theatres are open here in Ontario and patio service just started in restaurants.

was there ever a fulsome lockdown and closure of businesses in the US? If so, I suppose the case load is linked to them re-opening too soon?

the Indy 500 is planning on running in about 7 weeks....they’re allowing 50% capacity which could be around 125,000 people.....although it’s believed ”only” about 50,000 will choose to attend. Crazy.

·
Registered
12,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,425
There is a serious disconnect in the US.

As they relentlessly talk about conditions becoming worse as infections spread and healthcare system is fully taxed, they also talk about opening up movie theaters and large events. California took tough measures, had it under control, and then opened up and are in trouble again.

It looks like they have reached the point where they don't have the financial capacity to wait any longer to open their economies.

Trump implemented his big tax cuts, which hit government revenues, and then the pandemic hit and the government spending is in freefall.

Now the GOP is talking about another Trump tax cut to prop up his chances for re-election, that will be financed by the Fed.

The Fed is already buying the poorest level of junk bonds just to keep sketchy companies alive.

I am thinking they are on the road to opening everything up and letting people die in the hospital corridors or at home.

A "let the chips fall where they may" attitude.

·
Registered
12,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,426
I attended the Indy 500 in 1969 which they say is famous race driver Mario Andretti's most famous win.

It is a crazy place. I had never seen so many people in my life. Everything is on a massive scale and crowded in together like sardines in the can.

I was 19 at the time and skinny. Today I wouldn't fit into the seat.

·
Registered
3,295 Posts

I had a video call from a friend in the Philippines this morning. She lives with family, one of whom is married to a man from Seattle area. They usually spend about half the year in the Phils, half in U.S. I met both of briefly when I was in the Phils in December. They were then about to return to the U.S. They could not stay all winter because he had to be back in Washington by January for reasons related to his business. I would guess he was about age 50. Died yesterday in Seattle, death attributed to C-19.

That perhaps explains why we are seeing so many cars these days here in central Vancouver Island area with Washington plates. Coming here to escape. Apparently very easy, they just chant the magic words "driving to Alaska" and open sesame. In fact, I would doubt they are even questioned in seeking to cross. Lots of our hotels are closed, but the B and B places are chock-a-block full up with tourists and loving it. A silver lining for some in all of this. One Quadra Island operator told me it was his best season ever.
Apparently, there is also a problem with those supposedly transiting to Alaska by boat. They are coming ashore and ignoring the guidelines they are given for transiting.

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
The popular beach at Grand Bend, Ontario was packed with an estimated crowd of 7,000 people.

They are now talking about closing the beach again. People just won't learn.
The same thing happens over and over. The reality is that young people simply will not follow the guidelines and if you think about when you were 20-30, neither would you have. The municipalities need to simply accept that reality and then decide what are they going to do.

You can't open a beach and expect anything other than what we have seen over and over again.

·
Registered
12,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,429
The virus isn't going away because we are tired of it, or because it is costing the economy hundreds of billions of dollars.

It is never going away, and all we can do is wait for a vaccine to have some defense against it.

·
Registered
968 Posts
I went to a local Shoppers Drug Mart this morning here in Kingston, Ontario and there was an employee standing outside the door that said they cannot open up until 10am instead of 8am as they do not have enough employees to cover the shifts. Not sure if this has anything to do with the CERB or other things.

·
Registered
12,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,431
Essential workers in LTC and retirement homes are getting worn out.

My wife is supposed to be part time, working maybe 30 hours every two weeks.

Since March, she has been working full shifts almost non-stop. She just worked 6 days in a row, has today off and is scheduled to work 14 days in a row.

She used to walk to work for exercise and I would put her up when she was done. Now she drives the car to work and and goes to bed after supper.

Thank goodness, she is in great physical shape for her age, but it is going to take a toll on her if it continues much longer.

People are now booking vacations (up to 5 weeks for some of them), to get time off, which means those remaining have to work "short staffed"

At to that, she has to wear a mask and gloves anytime she is contact with residents or fellow workers.

The company has been trying to hire people for months. There are no replies. Nobody wants to work there for fear of COVID.

The wife is at work every day, so we have no summer plans. She has the car so I am stuck at home. I am thinking of buying another vehicle.

I don't know how this is going to be resolved.

·
Registered
12,551 Posts

We should fine all these tourists if they are in the country longer than 3-4 days and if they never crossed into Alaska.

·
Super Moderator
3,223 Posts
We should fine all these tourists if they are in the country longer than 3-4 days and if they never crossed into Alaska.
Yup, tell them before they come into Canada they have 72 hrs to cross back into Alaska or it's a $10,000 fine. So if they come back from Alaska going home and they stayed more than 72 hrs in Canada they'd have to pay up before being allowed to cross again.

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
I'm wondering how the selection of Toronto and Edmonton as the cities that the NHL decided to host the playoffs will fare after the multitude of people from the USA cross the border to participate?

These cities will benefit from huge revenues, and that's good, but it won't just be 24 teams with 20 hockey players each that will end up in those cities. There's a lot more to it. They obviously couldn't find a suitable set of cities in the USA, so they decided to send everyone to Canada.

Is it a good idea?

ltr

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
I'm wondering how the selection of Toronto and Edmonton as the cities that the NHL decided to host the playoffs will fare after the multitude of people from the USA cross the border to participate?

These cities will benefit from huge revenues, and that's good, but it won't just be 24 teams with 20 hockey players each that will end up in those cities. There's a lot more to it. They obviously couldn't find a suitable set of cities in the USA, so they decided to send everyone to Canada.

Is it a good idea?

ltr
It sounds more like they are going to be treated like athletes during the Olympics. Basically isolated into their own player village. Toronto, Edmonton likely to be hub cities when NHL postseason starts

·
Registered
883 Posts

Is it a good idea?

ltr
Where’s the revenue Coming from?

and it’s only 12 teams in each city right? I’d be curious to know how many people are coming from each team. I’d hope it tops out at 50.

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
Where’s the revenue Coming from?
I've read that all the teams will probably amount to around 1000 people that will require hotels and food services, etc for the duration. Then there's the media.

With the minuscule amount of activity in the food and lodging business, it can't hurt.

I just hope that it doesn't increase the COVID problem.

ltr

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
You can't open a beach and expect anything other than what we have seen over and over again.
I'm surrounded by beaches and here they just closed all the nearby beach parking. You can still walk or bike to the beach as long as you follow the same distancing guidelines.

Americans don't do walking or biking so I pretty much have all the beaches to myself now. Social distancing and hybrid work from home should just be the new norm imo

·
Registered
12,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,439
The virus is claiming younger victims, and they are becoming very sick.

I read of a report that the virus has mutated and researchers think that may be the reason the virus is making younger people ill now.

The virus has developed a new way to enter the lungs and start causing damage.

There are now 4 different strains of the COVID virus.

The reality for some States like Texas is that it is looking pretty grim.

Some researchers are saying that the vaccines being developed may not work against the new strain of COVID.

Let's not get carried away with thinking we are safe to reopen everything. It may not be the case.

·
Registered
12,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,440 (Edited)
I'm surrounded by beaches and here they just closed all the nearby beach parking. You can still walk or bike to the beach as long as you follow the same distancing guidelines.

Americans don't do walking or biking so I pretty much have all the beaches to myself now. Social distancing and hybrid work from home should just be the new norm imo
Nobody is going to get infected by walking the beach 20 feet from anyone else, but we had 7,000 people cram onto a small local beach on Lake Huron.

It was wall to wall people..........some young, some old and no doubt some with health issues already.

I went out to only one store today, and had a hard time keeping away from idiots who kept approaching without a mask.

They were mostly older people and probably in the high risk category too.

Apparently, people are just too stupid to see a situation and decide to do something else.

They are going to the beach or down the grocery aisle, and that is all there is to it.

2421 - 2440 of 2635 Posts