Canadian Money Forum banner

2401 - 2420 of 2469 Posts

·
Registered
940 Posts
"Important information for Kingston, Ontario region regarding masks. Order is effective on Saturday, June 27 at 12:01 a.m. Any failure to comply with the enforcement of wearing masks in commercial establishments is an offence for which you may be liable, on conviction, to a fine up to $5,000 for every day or part of a day on which the offence occurs or continues."

·
Registered
432 Posts
I just heard Pence say that everything was going great and that infections are fewer.
Then the media pulls up a map and shows the huge increase of infections.

This can not be an accident. It is all about confusion.

Sort of like ........ If you do not hear a rumour by noon time, then start one.

·
Registered
795 Posts
My daughter came home with a “Karen moment“ story. She went to Walmart with my wife. My daughter is 15. She was wearing a mask. She was in an aisle with another woman. Some guy walked into the aisle against the arrow on the ground. The woman gave the guy an earful, saying” we’re still social distancing”.

The guy left the aisle. The woman (not wearing a mask) comes right up to my daughter and whispers in her ear (something unintelligible).

thank goodness I wasn’t there!

·
Registered
432 Posts
My friend tells me that downtown Hamilton ,,,, all the parking lots at malls are about 80% full at 2:30 pm Friday afternoon. Payday for lots of people today the 26th.
Buses were about 30% full.
About 30 people in line to buy some pot.
Line ups at banks are huge.

·
Registered
432 Posts
If there is no herd immunity,then I gotta ask about if people can catch the virus more than one time?
Does anybody know of any instance where a person became infected on several occaisions?

·
Registered
12,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,406
They don't know. They don't know anything much. The virus has them all baffled.

It is a perfectly designed "killer virus" which makes me believe it was developed in the Wuhan lab just down the street from the "fresh market".

RCMP have been investigating the transfer of highly dangerous virus material from the top level lab in WInnipeg to Wuhan.

The lab in Wuhan takes viruses and experiments on making them more potent. They are a branch of the Chinese military.

The virus likely accidentally infected a researcher at the lab who then attended the fresh market and from there it spread.

Note that when China learned of the virus, they first tried to contain it and then locked everything right down. They knew what had happened.

The world knows where the virus came from, but they don't want to say and set off a global crisis or war.

Trump knows and is bursting to tell all....and he hints at it with "Kung Flu." and statements that China is "responsible".

·
Registered
12,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,407
"We have a researcher who was removed by the RCMP from the highest security laboratory that Canada has for reasons that government is unwilling to disclose. The intelligence remains secret. But what we know is that before she was removed, she sent one of the deadliest viruses on Earth, and multiple varieties of it to maximize the genetic diversity and maximize what experimenters in China could do with it, to a laboratory in China that does dangerous gain of function experiments. And that has links to the Chinese military."

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
I agree to some extent for context, but I’m still interested in how many “absolute” people have the disease vs.per capita. I think both are important.
while it’s expected beds, doctors, ppE are all planned for on a per capita basis, the absolute number also plays a part when you’re trying to source treatment needs.

our Local Health region has started to publish cases per 100,000 for each town, city, township etc. It’s helpful......we have about100 cases per 100,000. Our land area is quite large and we only have a population of 10,000.

the closest City to us is at about 50 cases per 100,000 with a population of 30,000. It’s geographically smaller so even though the case rate is half the amount....I ”feel” safer in my township.
That's really my point Money172375. Any number in isolation tells us very little. It is only when we put a number into some kind of context that we can assess what it means to us.

I disagree however with your assessment of how 'safe' you can feel based on the geographical size of the two areas you give in your example. Density is indeed a factor, the reality is that even in a low density area such as yours, people congregate in specific areas still. Your risk in say a supermarket is higher than the risk for someone in the same size supermarket with the lower case rate per capita, unless you could show that your supermarket has less customers in it than the other supermarket.

But how 'safe' you feel is about a 'feeling', not an empirical fact. So I understand why you might 'feel' safer, even though you really aren't. If you are in the vicinity of a number of people at one time, you are at higher risk where you are, that's what the numbers are actually telling you.

In other words, 'density' isn't necessarily about a geographic area, it is about the 'density' of people in your immediate area. ie. within 2 metres of you, not 2 kilometres.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I am very surprised that a scientist does not know if you become infected and survive that you are scott free and not be subject to becoming infected again.

That question is most important.

It has been more than 6 months and 9,838,205 confirmed cases and 495, 020 global deaths ...... and this question can not be answered? Scientists don't know whether or not people can become infected more than one single time?

At this stage of the game I am thinking that the answer to this question is more important right now than the discovery of a vaccine.

There is something wrong with this story.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
I am very surprised that a scientist does not know if you become infected and survive that you are scott free and not be subject to becoming infected again.

That question is most important.

It has been more than 6 months and 9,838,205 confirmed cases and 495, 020 global deaths ...... and this question can not be answered?

There is something wrong with this story.
Use your noodle calm. How do you know if you cannot become re-infected? Answer, if you have had the virus, then knowingly been re-exposed to it and did not contract it again.

Now, how long after the first infection would you say you should wait till you expose yourself a second time? If you did it say a week or two after you 'recovered' from the first infection, how do you know it isn't a 'flare up' of the first infection rather than a new infection? Answer, you don't so you will have to wait how long before exposing yourself and being sure it is a new infection? Answer, who knows. Malaria can 'flare up' for a person's entire life after they become infected.

Then, IF you are immune from a second infection, how long does that immunity last before you could become infected a second time? Answer, who knows. You can't say it lasts a year, two years, etc. as is the case with some infections, until that length of time has passed and you have not become re-infected even when you have been deliberately re-exposed to the virus.

The answers re immunity are something that it will takes years to arrive at.

·
Super Moderator
3,183 Posts
The answers re immunity are something that it will takes years to arrive at.
Yes and no to that. True that antibody effectiveness over time is an ongoing thing and "may take" months or years to figure out how long immunity lasts.

However, I'm sure they can make a pretty accurate guess as to the short term immunity simply by the number of that have testing positive again, say a month later.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Use your noodle calm.
I thought that this virus was kind of like the flu?
People get the flu more than one time.

They say that there is no herd immunity.
If there is no herd immunity then it seems to me that you can get hit with the virus several times?

It has been 6 months of infections and I have not read any information about some person surviving a first infection but became reinfected.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Yes and no to that. True that antibody effectiveness over time is an ongoing thing and "may take" months or years to figure out how long immunity lasts.

However, I'm sure they can make a pretty accurate guess as to the short term immunity simply by the number of that have testing positive again, say a month later.
How then would you rule out it recurring from the first infection as Malaria does?

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
I thought that this virus was kind of like the flu?
People get the flu more than one time.

They say that there is no herd immunity.
If there is no herd immunity then it seems to me that you can get hit with the virus several times?

It has been 6 months of infections and I have not read any information about some person surviving a first infection but became reinfected.
Who are 'they'. There is no evidence proving that herd immunity does not apply. It may or may not be applicable. Herd immunity does require that immunity is possible though. There is no evidence yet to prove immunity is or is not possible. We just don't know yet.

"However, whether immunity occurs among individuals after they have recovered from COVID-19 is uncertain. Many human infections with other viral pathogens, such as influenza virus, do not produce a durable immune response."

Quoted from: COVID-19 and Postinfection Immunity

Cainvest, that link also contains this line which indicates what I have said about Malaria re-occurring from the first infection.

"It is also possible these cases represent persistent or recrudescent COVID-19 illness or even true reinfection."

So the author is saying it may re-occur or be a new infection. We don't know yet.

2401 - 2420 of 2469 Posts