Canadian Money Forum banner

2361 - 2380 of 2424 Posts

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
In fairness, not everyone accepts electronic signatures, particularly when it comes to financial matters.
But that's what Purolator and courier services are for.
... and who's going to pay for the courier services? Not the banks I don't think so ... they can't even afford to pay for the postage stamps (in the name of saving trees!). And I don't think your lawyer would either for your disbursements. Accountants? Not sure about that.

Of course, not "everyone" accepts electronic signatures and if you do you're considered an old foggie (even that's false).

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
How we stack up can be seen here:

Of particular note are New Zealand and Sweden. NZ adopted very strict measures very quickly while Sweden did the opposite. The results speak for themselves.

That leads me to thinking about easing up and how that should be handled. Slowly and carefully is the way to do it but the pressure to open more up continues to mount.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
... and who's going to pay for the courier services? Not the banks I don't think so ... they can't even afford to pay for the postage stamps (in the name of saving trees!). And I don't think your lawyer would either for your disbursements. Accountants? Not sure about that.

Of course, not "everyone" accepts electronic signatures and if you do you're considered an old foggie (even that's false).
It would be the customer, as always who foots the bill. As for not accepting electronic signatures, I'm sure there are some lawyers and some government agencies who don't.

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
It would be the customer, as always who foots the bill. As for not accepting electronic signatures, I'm sure there are some lawyers and some government agencies who don't.
... I'm not sure government agencies uses courier services ... afterall, we still have crown corp CPost. As said I agree "some" (perhaps a fewer now a days?) lawyers won't accept electronic signatures and definitely will not absorb the courier services which mean the client is on the hook with no choice.

·
Registered
4,537 Posts

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
... that's good news. Wish effective treatment discovery for centuries-old cancer was just as quick ...
In fairness, the term cancer is a collection of similar ailments, but all have differing causes. That makes is a bit more difficult to isolate. There are obviously treatments that work to various degrees, to certain ones, but no silver bullet.

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
In fairness, the term cancer is a collection of similar ailments, but all have differing causes. That makes is a bit more difficult to isolate. There are obviously treatments that work to various degrees, to certain ones, but no silver bullet.
... it could be. But I have yet to read any type of treatment to "eradicate" the cancer, let alone a vaccine.... to be developed or even being developed at lightening speed. And yet, cancer is the no. #1 or 2 (depending who you ask) killer in the world. Agree no silver bullet. Maybe a sure cure will be possible for cancer in another century provided mankind don't get wiped out by ... viruses or an asteroid.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
... it could be. But I have yet to read any type of treatment to "eradicate" the cancer, let alone a vaccine.... to be developed or even being developed at lightening speed. And yet, cancer is the no. #1 or 2 (depending who you ask) killer in the world. Agree no silver bullet. Maybe a sure cure will be possible for cancer in another century provided mankind don't get wiped out by ... viruses or an asteroid.
I think part of the issue is that there is a significant genetic component to susceptibility to cancer as we're talking about a disease that usually develops due to genetic cell damage, causing uncontrolled cellular growth. Unless there is effective gene therapy development, it's probably not going to happen any time soon. As it is, most treatments try to deal with the symptoms (get rid of the cancerous cells/growth), but then that usually only leads to remission, and years down the road it can resurface.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Does anybody know when a person becomes infected and survives, are they immune?

You would think that if we acquire anti-bodies they would be screaming that from roof tops every day and all day.

All I hear is "Maybe". After this length of time it is just a "Maybe" we acquire anti-bodies?
Something very fishy with not knowing about anti-bodies as a certainty.

What if you just get a mild infection, what happens if you are infected again? Is the second time around mean identical mild reactions or does it hit you worse the second time around?

·
Registered
12,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,372
They don't really know.

They don't know if some people acquire enough antibodies, or if they are useful if the virus mutates. They also don't know how long it will last.

We don't even have immunity from the seasonal flu, so it is doubtful there will be lifetime immunity for COVID.

·
Registered
12,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,373
What I find most concerning is the virus is mutating and is now affecting younger people more severely.

Scientists say the virus changed as it spread through different countries, and that is why the symptoms weren't the same everywhere.

There are already quite a number of variations for this virus.

·
Registered
408 Posts
without immunity (anti-bodies) I am beginning to think that our society and all the toys that come with it are toast !

There is no way that a country would just sit back and watch this economic devastation happening without doing the utmost to stem the bleeding. I believe that all governments know that they are powerless against Covid-19.

All we got is different levels of goverment giving political excuses and not medical or scientific excuses for not getting contol.

Obviously, our leaders have "Zero" to offer except platitudes of hope.

I am starting to think that the only tool that governments can offer is a face mask.

Will the face mask alone allow 45 or 50 million people back to work or are we stuck with 50 million unemployed until a vaccine shows up?

I am thinking that for our economy to "Normalize" it needs more than a face mask.

They are selling or using propaganda to explain that things are "Improving" because 10 people can eat in a cafe now and that haircuts are Okay now too.

Nothing is improving. It is just that they are allowing more recess time and calling it progress or an improvement.

I don't think that our North American society can handle 50 million unemployed for a year or two without revolution in the air.

Am I wrong or too pessimistic?

Any evidence to the contrary?

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Am I wrong or too pessimistic?

Any evidence to the contrary?
The evidence shows that the fatality rate for healthy people under 50 is very low, lower than the flu in some cases. Shutting down the entire economy is the wrong approach when only the vulnerable need to be protected.

That should be plainly obvious but the media and politicians are mostly ignoring that. The politicians love their increased power and the media likes the headlines. And some people are so scared that they drive alone in their car wearing a mask or are too scared to go out in public.

·
Registered
408 Posts
The evidence shows that the fatality rate for healthy people under 50 is very low,
Is there any evidence to show that opening up the economy completely will not create a huge amount of Covid-19 cases?
How are our medical facilities going to handle such a huge increase?
It is my understanding that the reason the economy was shut down was to control the infection to a point where ICU units in hospitals can handle that amount of patients.
The continual shutdown is prevent overflow at ICU's.

Is there any proof that if the economy was completely opened up today that the hospital ICU can continue to function?

I don't really care how old people are who die from Covid-19. It is still "Death" of a mother a father or a friend of somebody.

Another issue I have is that governments want to hire private companies to carry out the testing and tracing programs. Hiring private companies would mean that the information is not public information.

I suspect that governments are doing this so that when they tell the public what progress is being made, the paperwork to prove this ...... the data collected will be private and not up for public review or inspection. New York has hired Bloomberg.

·
Registered
12,390 Posts
How many would be killed by not having access to hospitals for other problems because they are jammed with COVID cases?

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Is there any evidence to show that opening up the economy completely will not create a huge amount of Covid-19 cases?
How are our medical facilities going to handle such a huge increase?
It is my understanding that the reason the economy was shut down was to control the infection to a point where ICU units in hospitals can handle that amount of patients.
The continual shutdown is prevent overflow at ICU's.
I already explained that. Due to the very low infection rate for people under 50 that's not likely to happen. Why can't you just do the math? Is it too hard?

·
Registered
12,390 Posts
I already explained that. Due to the very low infection rate for people under 50 that's not likely to happen. Why can't you just do the math? Is it too hard?
People over 50 also occupy beds, unless you're suggesting we toss them directly into the grave.

2361 - 2380 of 2424 Posts