Canadian Money Forum banner

2281 - 2300 of 2486 Posts

·
Registered
12,447 Posts

·
Registered
12,447 Posts
Viruses tend to become less severe over time. A virus that kills its host is likely to be outcompeted by a mutation that is more benign and allows its host continue functioning while spreading the virus.

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
One 'theory' or opinion does not a case make OR disprove. We always see people here trying to hang their hat on one link they find saying one thing or another.

Maybe it is getting less severe and maybe it isn't, there is not enough EVIDENCE to really state either as a FACT and that is where the confusion can arise. One doctor STATING as a FACT it is becoming less severe is not the same thing as a scientific study which provides actual evidence to support a theory.

But when a reader reads something that they WANT to believe and it is being stated as a fact, they just grab on to that and run with it. They don't bother to do any more in depth reading to answer for themselves is this FACT or OPINION.

·
Registered
12,447 Posts
I don't see why you feel the need to SHOUT. Excessive use of caps is not really good internet form. It conveys the tone that you are on your soapbox ranting. If that's what you're going for, by all means carry on. It is just a bit grating, and perhaps needlessly so. Particularly because I don't know who you think you are disagreeing with or directing your ire at.

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
I don't see why you feel the need to SHOUT. Excessive use of caps is not really good internet form. It conveys the tone that you are on your soapbox ranting. If that's what you're going for, by all means carry on. It is just a bit grating, and perhaps needlessly so. Particularly because I don't know who you think you are disagreeing with or directing your ire at.
I use caps as a way to EMPHASIS a word andrewf. I could use bold or italics to try to convey emphasis but it's just easier to use caps. I know it is considered shouting in 'internet etiquette' but I've never been one to conform to every accepted 'norm'. You might also notice that I often use quote marks around commonly used terms or phrases, like, 'internet etiquette'. Just a writing habit developed over time in internet forums.

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
Looks like Sweden is having second thoughts on their strategy. A bit late to try a lockdown though. Doesn't look like their economy has been spared and are locked out of traveling to other Scandinavian countries.
Sweden could have handled coronavirus response better, chief epidemiologist admits
Yes, their approach seems to have failed big time and now they are admitting that. Unfortunate for the Swedes that they went down that road and have had to pay the price in lives that they have paid.

·
Registered
12,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,291 (Edited)
Fox News is going to be busy going back and changing their "Sweden beats virus without locking down" headlines.

Unfortunately, many of the horrendous death toll in Sweden were people in senior's homes.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
You can't make this stuff up. Medical experts now say that they approve of the current protests because white supremacy is a lethal health issue. But don't you dare protest the lockdown you RACIST!!

I guess the lockdowns were never really about the virus. Why should anyone listen to them next time?

"As public health advocates, we do not condemn these gatherings as risky for COVID-19 transmission,” wrote the health professionals in their letter. “We support them as vital to the national public health and to the threatened health specifically of Black people in the United States.”

“We can show that support by facilitating safest protesting practices without detracting from demonstrators’ ability to gather and demand change,” they continue.

The letter goes on to state that their support for protests against racism during the Wuhan coronavirus pandemic should not “be confused” for them also having support for protests against lockdowns in response to the Chinese virus.

“This should not be confused with a permissive stance on all gatherings, particularly protests against stay-home orders,” state the health professionals, who go on to bizarrely claim that such protests are also “rooted in white nationalism.”

“Those actions not only oppose public health interventions, but are also rooted in white nationalism and run contrary to respect for Black lives,” reads the letter.

“White supremacy is a lethal public health issue that predates and contributes to COVID-19,” affirm the health professionals in their letter."

·
Registered
453 Posts
I think the study is just propaganda. Nonsense.

The Ruling Class know the anger on the streets,
That the virus of inequality is stronger than a fear of germs.
It is just propaganda rather than to admit that the Ruling Class have lost control ,,,,, lost the respect of 79% of the population.
At this time The Ruling Class has chosen to throw their arms up into the air as being hapless.
The NFL is a military institution. The U.S. military gives the NFL tons of money. Football was a game invented for military recruits.
For the head of that organization to come out and say "Let's Take A Knee" just shows you that the Ruling Class is struggling to maintain control of the revolt and the Covid-19 as well.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
More on that dodgy Lancet study criticizing chloroquine. The Guardian looked into it and found it more than a little suspicious.
Looks like they retracted.
https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(20)31324-6/fulltext

·
Registered
76 Posts

·
Registered
4,565 Posts
In Sweden, people with coronavirus symptoms say getting a test is nearly impossible — and it affects their ability to get medical care how awful must that feel. Wouldn't want to be in Sweden, a place where people's high immunity system kept them safe for quite some time until...

"People that are like me, we don't exist," Karolin said, referring to those who haven't tested positive but show symptoms. "If I talk to friends and family, it feels almost like they don't trust me anymore."
... I guess their government figured there is no point in getting anyone tested now. It's cheaper to just assume every Swedish has the Covid19 brand. And it would be safer for other countries to take note about opening its gates to that population ... gonna to be interesting.

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
Somehow I missed the fact that the UK had not imposed a quarantine on travellers entering the country. They have just done so starting tomorrow.

Talk about being behind the curve.

We may not all be happy with our own performance here in Canada but it certainly could be worse.

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
New coronavirus 'transmission eliminated' in New Zealand.

New Zealand appears to have completely eradicated the coronavirus -- at least for now -- after health officials said Monday the last known infected person had recovered.
The announcement was greeted with joy around the country and means the nation of 5 million people will be among the first to welcome throngs of fans back into sports stadiums, embrace crowded concerts and remove seating restrictions from flights.

ltr

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
New coronavirus 'transmission eliminated' in New Zealand.

New Zealand appears to have completely eradicated the coronavirus -- at least for now -- after health officials said Monday the last known infected person had recovered.
The announcement was greeted with joy around the country and means the nation of 5 million people will be among the first to welcome throngs of fans back into sports stadiums, embrace crowded concerts and remove seating restrictions from flights.

ltr
They imposed a strict lockdown on March 25 and we see the result. What's more, that included a ban on entry of any foreign travellers with very few exceptions and that ban continues. NO ONE gets in that is not a citizen or legal resident of New Zealand. Contrast that with the UK's only imposing a quarantine NOW on travellers entering the country, not a BAN on any foreign travellers entering.

Here in Canada, we also have a quarantine on anyone entering but also do not have a BAN on foreigners entering. It seems clear that the stricter the conditions imposed, the better the outcome.

2281 - 2300 of 2486 Posts