Canadian Money Forum banner

2181 - 2200 of 2288 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,038 Posts
Yes, Trump's a doctor because he repeated things medical experts have said. I've also repeated what medical experts have said so that makes me a doctor too. In the future please refer to me as Dr. Prairie Guy.
Are you telling me a man with Trump's knowledge doesn't have a PHD? :)

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
I'm not convinced that vaccines are effective. for example, more and more people have been getting the flu vaccine annually, but the death rate from flu seems to be going up.

I had occasion in years gone by to visit elderly folks in an assisted living institution. When flu season arrived, visitors had to have the vaccine or wear a mask. I chose to wear the mask since the vaccine is for last years flu, and health professionals who chose to informally offer their opinion said "the flu vaccines don't even work". Of course the health professionals got the vaccine so as not to appear to be dissenters.

However, this nasty virus isn't flu, so maybe its different this time. But it is mutating somewhat, so I doubt a vaccine is the ultimate answer.

·
Registered
12,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,183
More flu deaths may be due to people living longer and the population aging in general.

We don't hear much about seasonal flu deaths because we don't see bodies being put in refrigerated trucks, like happened in NYC.

We also don't normally run out of PPE or have doctors and nurses dying from treating patients with the seasonal flu.

·
Registered
10,517 Posts
I'm not convinced that vaccines are effective. for example, more and more people have been getting the flu vaccine annually, but the death rate from flu seems to be going up ... However, this nasty virus isn't flu, so maybe its different this time. But it is mutating somewhat, so I doubt a vaccine is the ultimate answer.
One of the reasons experts who have tracked the HIV vaccine failures are hopeful is how slowly this virus mutates.

In the time the influenza virus spins off eight to ten mutations, this one is reported to spin off two. The mutations are also reported to be close to the original virus.

Hopefully it's not being clear in the writing but just because the influenza virus mutates so rapidly and makes the yearly vaccine guesswork with a wide variation in effectiveness, year by year - doesn't tell us anything about how effective a future vaccine for this virus or for other ones are.

Cheers

PS
I've seen references to studies that putting the influenza virus effectiveness anywhere from 19% to 65%, depending on the year.

·
Registered
698 Posts
WHO says virus may never go away....

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
WHO says virus may never go away....
WHO said it wasn't contagious long after Taiwan told them it wasn't contagious. WHO said that masks were not effective. WHO covered for China.

Maybe they're right this time. But right or wrong, some people will use that announcement to demand that the economy be shut down forever. Trudeau will start week 6 of his 14-day self-isolation taking 3 softball questions a day from approved media and avoiding opposition questions. Trudeau would self-isolate for the rest of his term if he could get away with it.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Just when you thought they couldn't beclown themselves any further, CNN has now added Greta Thunberg to their "expert" panel on Coronavirus 🤣

·
Registered
12,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,188
Greta will discuss the effects of climate change on the spread of disease. It is a timely topic that should be discussed.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
The Welsh have long been known for their singing and this is no exception. A venue in Wales has been converted to a temporary hospital during the pandemic and some of the healthcare workers there have got together to produce a version of Bridge Over Troubled Waters. It's worth a listen and I am sure it will bring tears to some listeners.

The singing starts at 1.55 if you want to skip ahead.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Just when you thought they couldn't beclown themselves any further, CNN has now added Greta Thunberg to their "expert" panel on Coronavirus 🤣

Pass the smelling salts, please.

·
Registered
12,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,192 (Edited)
I guess we will find out how much she knows.

It will bring a younger audience into the discussion, which is important because they will be the voters in a few years.

She is not being brought in as an expert on COVID, although she probably knows as much about it as VP Mike Pence appears to.

She is being interviewed to talk about her work as an activist during the COVID pandemic.

How quickly conservatives believed a false story. Even Trump tweeted about it.

I do find it interesting that a little girl strikes such fear into conservatives.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
No one is scared of Greta, she can't answer unscripted questions. The only reason she exists is so that people can complain that meanies are picking on a little girl if they dare to ask her a tough question or criticize her lack of knowledge.

The climate thugs don't dare send an adult white male scientist (there are 10's of thousands of them) who won't be able to cry sexism or ageism when the going gets tough.

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
I guess we will find out how much she knows.

It will bring a younger audience into the discussion, which is important because they will be the voters in a few years.

She is not being brought in as an expert on COVID, although she probably knows as much about it as VP Mike Pence appears to.

She is being interviewed to talk about her work as an activist during the COVID pandemic.

How quickly conservatives believed a false story. Even Trump tweeted about it.

I do find it interesting that a little girl strikes such fear into conservatives.
... me too. Not all Conservatives but only those that are so sure of themselves and they know who they are.

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
PS
I've seen references to studies that putting the influenza virus effectiveness anywhere from 19% to 65%, depending on the year.
I have searched and been unable to find a double blind study on the flu vaccine. I'm shocked. As far as I can tell it is another straw sucking $ from the tax pool without proof of value.

·
Registered
10,517 Posts
I guess google is wonking out on you?
Or maybe you mean you aren't finding recent enough ones for your liking or ones in the area you'd prefer?

Cheers

·
Registered
12,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,197 (Edited)
New style of non-invasive ventilator mask developed here in London, Ontario.

It will greatly reduce the need and associated dangers of intubating patients, including having to heavily sedate them.

The mask uses existing CPAP technology and eliminates the "splash" danger.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
New style of non-invasive ventilator mask developed here in London, Ontario.

It will greatly reduce the need and associated dangers of intubating patients, including having to heavily sedate them.

The mask uses existing CPAP technology and eliminates the "splash" danger.

Yes, I heard about that using a firefighter's mask as the basis. They can get a full face seal which then allows for positive pressure to force air into the lungs. It sounds like it could be a good solution if it works out.

2181 - 2200 of 2288 Posts