Canadian Money Forum banner

61 - 72 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
12,530 Posts
So your solution to improve representation is to have MPs represent more than half a million people? Good luck meeting your MP or getting them to do anything on your behalf. Nevermind that half the provinces would only have 1-2 MPs.

·
Registered
3,660 Posts
So your solution to improve representation is to have MPs represent more than half a million people? Good luck meeting your MP or getting them to do anything on your behalf. Nevermind that half the provinces would only have 1-2 MPs.
Federal Government should deal with items of national importance.
Do you really have items of national importance that you need to speak with your MP about?

Do you really think that your MP is able to adequately represent you in parliment today?
Right now, even if you got to sit down with your MP, they wouldn't be able to do much if anything to address your concern.

Really most daily items should be handled at the local government level, or through administrative functions. Or not by the government at all.

·
Registered
12,530 Posts
There are things that are federal jurisdiction that are nonetheless individual. MPs often help with citizenship issues, for instance.

·
Registered
3,660 Posts
There are things that are federal jurisdiction that are nonetheless individual. MPs often help with citizenship issues, for instance.
Helping with citizenship issues is an administrative function that should be handled by staff.
If you actually contact your MPs office, the staff will actually do most of the work (as it should be)

Really MPs should be working on policy and laws, and oversight of the administration.
But in Canada most of the administrative process is by the non-partisan public service, politicians shouldn't really be getting their hands into that too much.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
For once, it would be nice to vote for someone that you really wanted to support vs. the the person that you felt was the best of a bad bunch. Could not bring myself to vote for the Scheer, Conservatives, cannot see myself voting for MacKay and definitely never for O'Toole. Not really left with much choice.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
For once, it would be nice to vote for someone that you really wanted to support vs. the the person that you felt was the best of a bad bunch. Could not bring myself to vote for the Scheer, Conservatives, cannot see myself voting for MacKay and definitely never for O'Toole. Not really left with much choice.
There are a couple of other ways of looking at it. With Parliamentary system, things get conflated a bit because of the tight lines between the party and party leadership. In reality, we are electing a local MP to represent our interests in Parliament. Another way to look at things are which local candidate best represents my interests, or at least responsive to my needs. Obviously they normally toe the party line; however, an involved MP who may not represent your ideal party is probably better than a disinterest MP who supports your "preferred" leader.

·
Registered
12,699 Posts
Helping with citizenship issues is an administrative function that should be handled by staff.
If you actually contact your MPs office, the staff will actually do most of the work (as it should be)

Really MPs should be working on policy and laws, and oversight of the administration.
But in Canada most of the administrative process is by the non-partisan public service, politicians shouldn't really be getting their hands into that too much.
They spend a lot of their time getting public exposure and photo opps........or glad handing and back slapping at backyard BBQs.

They eat a lot of rubber chicken dinners too.........:)

·
Registered
3,660 Posts
There are a couple of other ways of looking at it. With Parliamentary system, things get conflated a bit because of the tight lines between the party and party leadership. In reality, we are electing a local MP to represent our interests in Parliament. Another way to look at things are which local candidate best represents my interests, or at least responsive to my needs. Obviously they normally toe the party line; however, an involved MP who may not represent your ideal party is probably better than a disinterest MP who supports your "preferred" leader.
Well my MP is NDP, and they're actively against the interests of their constituents, but they do toe the party line. I honestly don't know how they get elected.

·
Registered
12,530 Posts

Another thing to consider is that smaller assemblies are easier to capture by the executive due to cabinet inclusion (and enforcement of cabinet solidarity). The UK has a larger parliament and a history of backbench governing party MPs actually standing up to the executive.

61 - 72 of 72 Posts