Canadian Money Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
19,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Suicide by climate change ?

Record level extreme heat around the world, challenging old energy infrastructure to keep up to demand.

Record level droughts causing agricultural catastrophes around the world. Fresh water sources drying up for hundreds of millions of people.

Invasive species on the move. Fisheries collapsing due to the change in ocean temperatures.

Forest fires burning out of control around the world. Fear of the Arctic tundra melt releasing huge amounts of methane and prehistoric pathogens.

And on and on.

·
Registered
4,134 Posts
Suicide by climate change ?
You make it seem like climate change has never happened in earth's 4.5 billion year history.

We've already experienced 5 ice ages, long before man was involved. Where you're sitting right now was many times covered in at least 5km of solid ice. What caused the melting? Who knows, but hopefully we can use that information to mitigate against future climate change.

I always like reading about the periods between ice ages when Antarctica was completely forested. Can you imagine how hot it was at the equator. I doubt that banning plastic straws would have much effect.

ltr

·
Registered
19,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
We cashed in all our equities when we retired, and entered into capital preservation mode.

Our climate change footprint is very low due to our age, location, fuel efficient vehicle, very low kms or other travel.

I hope you are right about human ingenuity, because otherwise we are going to leave an uninhabitable mess for future generations.

Maybe it is just an aberration, but it seems to me that the dire climate change forecasts are coming to fruition far earlier than previously expected.

·
Registered
24,720 Posts
I hope you are right about human ingenuity, because otherwise we are going to leave an uninhabitable mess for future generations.
As usual, wealthier people will have resources (and comforts) to survive, while poor people around the world suffer and die.

This has always been the case with pollution and environmental damage as well. The impacts are always the worst in poor countries and poor communities.

It's really the sad, old story of the world and pretty depressing IMO. The wealthy industrialists exploit the earth to enrich themselves, becoming even wealthier. Meanwhile poor people are taken advantage of (economically), and also tend to suffer the consequences of the the side effects, such as environmental pollution, damage to land, harm to the climate, environment, crops.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Climate change scientists these days.......

View attachment 23426
Part of the problem with any transformational change program is the narrative leaders adopt. Basically you have two choices - doomsday (we are screwed if we don't change) or visionary (look how much better things will be if we change). The doomsday narrative creates a big push-back and usually fails until the crisis is well underway and obvious to all. The positive approach needs amazing vision and leadership but ultimately is the only way that can create sustainable change before it's too late. I have faith in the younger generation that knows what kind of a world they want and they are going to make it happen
Cartoon Sharing Organism Line Font

·
Registered
169 Posts
Climate change is so rampant that Barack Obama and Bill Gates have purchased oceanside mansions due to their level of fear regarding rising sea levels!!

Obama just had a 2,500 lb propane tank installed at his mansion (is he not confident in the green inititatives he has been pushing?)

I am all for recylcing, I live below my means, I am aware and actively do whatever I can to be green, but the hypocrisy from the worlds leaders is absolutely disgusting. Im all for solar, all for wind.. but why we demonize fossil fuels and PUNISH our citizens with the absurd carbon tax is absolutely beyond me..

·
Registered
325 Posts
It's an extremely difficult issue to contend with, because it's a global issue. Canada could completely 100% stop producing CO2 emissions, and it would make zero difference to climate change. China produces 29% of the world's CO2 emissions and the US produces 14%. Russia is in 3rd place, producing 5%. Canada produces 2%. So until we can convince China and the US to start taking it seriously, not much is going to change. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying we shouldn't do our part, but the problem is huge, global, and until we can convince China and the US to do something, then not much is going to change.

One thing that I think would save a lot of CO2 emissions in Canada would be more roundabouts. They've proven hugely effective in the UK, and I seem to waste a lot of time and fuel in Winnipeg stopped at red lights while there is no traffic coming from the other sides of the intersection.

Another cool thing that's happening with air travel is that WestJet (and a number of other airlines) is taking part in an SAF (sustainable aviation fuel) trial. SAF is a type of biofuel that works in jet engines. They flew a 737 from LA to Calgary last month on SAF. Burning it still produces CO2 emissions, but the actual process of creating the fuel is more environmentally friendly. Burning SAF apparently produces less CO2 emissions than jet fuel somehow though, and modern jet engines are becoming incredibly efficient. I recently looked at a flight plan from a 787 flying from Calgary to Rome, did the math, and the fuel burn per passenger worked out to 3.2 litres/100 km. If that can be achieved worldwide in the aviation industry, while using SAF, then I think that will be huge.

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
The problem with SAF, as currently defined, is that it takes out of food stock.
And now with idiots in governments (Sri Lanka, Holland, Canada) promoting world hunger and cutting food production, there really isn't that much to spare.
Biodiesel is another case in which regulation run in front of technology - which causes food to be turned into diesel. Until refineries are advanced enough and can use exclusively other feedstock (look at the mess in Surrey refinery for example), without cutting into food supply, mandating biodiesel will result in massive food inflation and hunger

·
Registered
15,216 Posts
How is that going to affect the fertilizer usage? That's what is being cut - that's what governments are doing to cut food production
Indoor farming is very efficient wrt fertilizer use. Very little run-off. But vertical farming is far from being a solution for the vast bulk of calories consumed (grains).

I think it is fair to challenge the ag industry to improve practices wrt to runoff. Blanket limitations on inputs doesn't seem appropriate.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts