Canadian Money Forum banner
21 - 40 of 143 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Does anyone have an idea of what the payout on this might be? I have not purchased Mutual Funds for a very long time, so it would be quite labour intensive to dig out the old paperwork. I would be willing to search for it though, if the payout wasn't the $5 - $10, sometimes involved in class action suits.

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I've been seeing this ad about class action settlement with Microsoft. Wasn't sure if it was real, but I guess it is. If you purchased PC versions of Microsoft MS-DOS, Windows, Office, Word, and/or Excel between 1998 and 2010, you are entitled to compensation. This includes pre-loaded software, so if you bought a computer that had Windows pre-installed that counts, you don't need proof or to have purchased it separately.

Here's an aricle about it: Microsoft Is In A Class Action Lawsuit In Canada & You Might Be Able To Claim Money

·
Registered
4,565 Posts
I've been seeing this ad about class action settlement with Microsoft. Wasn't sure if it was real, but I guess it is.
I have bought almost every version of Windows since v3.1 back in early 90s. I no longer have records, so just for fun claimed one for each of our present laptop OSs. Don't know what happened to the disks for versions I used to use on my Desktop. 95, 98 Millenium, 2000 etc.

·
Registered
25,291 Posts
Received the following email today -

Mutual Fund Fees Class Actions – Update and Request for Information​
Interesting. Here's the web site for the lawsuit.

This is an interesting one. I went to the law firm's web site, thinking this was probably a silly frivolous suit, but it's not frivolous. The issue is that discount brokerages are paid trailing commissions on mutual funds.

[Discount brokers] are not allowed to provide investment advice. Since no advice is provided to investors who purchase mutual funds through discount brokers, these investors receive no value for the trailing commissions that are deducted from their mutual fund investments.
Siskinds LLP has filed proposed class actions against various mutual fund trustees and managers challenging the trailing commissions they have paid to discount brokers on mutual funds under their management. The class actions seek damages for the mutual fund investors.

I believe this issue may even cover ISAs. I have held various savings ISAs for years, paying 0.25% trailing fee to TD... for years! This is actually a lot of money. For many of us, this is more than we've ever lost to overpriced lawnmowers or bread.

Here's a previous thread at CMF about the ISA trailing fees
And an older CMF thread about this lawsuit, before it got this far

Assuming an average 50K ISA balance, I might have easily paid $125 a year x 10 years = $1250 in trailer fees to TD. And I'm sure that some of you around here have paid several thousand $ in such fees.

I am getting in touch with the law firm to draw their attention to TDB8150 & similar ISAs, which strictly speaking are not mutual funds, but which do have trailer fees. Disclosed in the official brochure as '6. Dealer Compensation'.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
"Dear Sir / Madam,

If you own(ed) a 2012-2017 Toyota Camry (or hybrid) or a 2013-2017 Lexus ES, this investigation may be of interest to you. If you think this might concern someone you know, please forward them this email.

Please be aware of the following class action investigation: Toyota Camry & Lexus ES Moldy Air Conditioner (AC) Canadian Class Action

For more information, please click here https://www.clg.org/Class-Action/List-of-Class-Actions/Toyota-Camry-Lexus-ES-Moldy-Air-Conditioner-AC-Canadian-Class-Action

Yours truly,

the Consumer Law Group Team"

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
That's an interesting link with a number of other class action lawsuits.

This optical disk drive one may be of interest for those who purchased an optical drive since 2001. I imagine it would include computer systems and laptops. Optical Disk Drive Anti-Competition National Class Action | Consumer Law Group Class Actions Canada

·
Registered
25,291 Posts
This is one of Canada's largest class action settlements. Microsoft has agreed to pay out up to $517 million in a settlement over anti-competitive practices. Any money not claimed by consumers will be returned to Microsoft.

CBC article on Microsoft class action
and
Web site for the settlement and making your claim

You have to be a resident of Canada, and have bought Microsoft software between 1998 and 2010. This includes: Windows, Office, Word, Excel, and MS-DOS. It also includes buying a PC that was pre loaded with MS software, like Windows.

Myself, I bought MS-DOS plus two computers that were pre-loaded with Windows, so I submitted a claim for these 3 purchases x $13 = $39

My impression is that its good for the lawyers and administrators, who will suck up maybe 40% or more of the payout. Take the remaining money and divide it among the claimants and its a pittance.
In this Microsoft settlement, the legal costs are roughly 20% of the payout and there's still $400 million being paid out to consumers. Nobody can call that a pittance! The law firms have done a great job suing Microsoft for their unfair practices and anti-competitive behaviour, and they deserve these legal fees. Most of the settlement is being paid out.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
"Dear Sir / Madam,

If you or a family member developed bladder cancer after being prescribed the diabetes medication Actos, this class action may be of interest to you. If you think this might concern someone you know, please forward them this email.

Please be aware of the following update: $25 million Settlement.

For more information, please click here Actos Bladder Cancer Canadian Class Action | Consumer Law Group Class Actions Canada.

Yours truly,

the Consumer Law Group Team"

·
Registered
25,291 Posts
I received a settlement paycheque from the class action versus Wells Fargo. Not bad ... 69 USD so about $87

That's enough to buy 58 cans of sardines.

That's one of the larger class action payouts I've had. If you were also a Wells Fargo customer you might want to take a look at

Beware... if one of these is sitting in your mailbox, the cheque has an expiry date.

·
Registered
10,725 Posts
^ I think your time (even it's 5 minutes and you're on the computer anyways, yada, yada plus nothing to say your personal info) ... is worth more than (US)$13. :oops:

·
Registered
3,293 Posts
I don't think that there is a running thread for class action lawsuits, but they seem to be coming up fairly regularly.

For example, last week there was one that was approved regarding price fixing wire harnesses in cars.
Canadian drivers eligible to take part in $25.6M price-fixing scheme settlement
Which applies to people who either purchased or leased new cars of the following makes: Honda/Acura, Nissan/Infiniti, Toyota/Lexus, Subaru and/or Pontiac Vibes brands, between January 1, 1999 and November 30, 2014.

The site to register is Auto Parts Class Action.

I'm just thinking there should be a sticky thread for these settlements so people know about them.
Got my cheques today. 2 x $25

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Class action lawsuits were commenced in Ontario, British Columbia, and Quebec alleging that several LIB manufacturers (the “Defendants”) conspired to fix prices for LIBs, resulting in higher prices for LIBs and LIB Products sold in Canada.
LIBs are rechargeable batteries used in electronic products.
LIB Products are laptop computers, notebook computers, tablet computers, e-book readers, MP3 players, personal digital assistants, handheld GPS, handheld video players, cellphones, smartphones (excluding cellphones and smartphones sold as part of a service contract) or replacement batteries for any of these products.
Settlements totaling CDN$21.3 million were reached with Defendants.

Looks like anyone in Canada is eligible. No receipt is necessary for the $20. Might get more if you have proof or purchase.

Probably pretty rare that you haven't purchased at least one of those things in that time period. I think we bought 4 items in that time period.

·
Registered
10,725 Posts
Still working on that MS classaction (several desktops and laptops) - reminder: this upcoming Thursday is last day for claim submission.

Optical drives - need to dig deeper - who keeps their paper receipts for more than a year or 2? Sigh.

·
Registered
12,546 Posts
How about a class action for gasoline price fixing ? That could be a dandy, the lawyers could make a pile off that one.
They keep failing to find evidence of widespread price fixing, though there are incidents.

If you have evidence of price-fixing or other anticompetitive activity in the retail gasoline sector, please contact us toll-free at 1-800-348-5358 or use our online complaint form.

·
Registered
3,252 Posts
Does purchasing student versions of MS windows or MS office (heavily discounted) count?

Does purchasing corporate group-rate for personal use versions of MS office (also heavily discounted) count?

I don't think I've ever paid nearly full price for a Microsoft software. Though I've definitely bought 2 or 3 laptops with MS windows as part of the package.

21 - 40 of 143 Posts