Canadian Money Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can we get a clarification of this sites rules about advertising please?

This is in relation to Rickson9's continued link to his website in his signature:

"Millionaire at 30. Visit my website at! http://www.ticonline.com"

His site is selling something. From his site main page:

"
Make Money Investing In U.S. Distressed Real Estate Now!
The cost of this event will be $500 per person and seating is limited! To RSVP your attendance please send a cheque to:
"

In this forum's site rules, rule # 1 is:

"1. No SPAM. This includes promoting a company or service in your signature"

Based on feedback from a recent thread on this site, I am not the only one that is upset / annoyed by this:

http://canadianmoneyforum.com/showthread.php?t=1560

I think the way Rickson9 is going about this is even worse than the members who have openly tried to promote a service and have been told to stop, because many people seeing his posts, especially those about buying property in the US, may take it as objective, when it is clear from his site that it is not.

I am asking for a clear answer from an admin on this question: Are you allowed to link to a site that is selling something in your signature?

Why do I care so much:

1) I am an idealist and I'm on holiday so I have time to kill. ;)
2) Seriously, as I mentioned in the thread listed above, IMO, it opens up a crack in the door to allow members to act as if they are giving objective advise / help when they are really just trying to drum up business, and diminishes the credibility of the site overall.

Thank you.

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
simps has excellent point. How many times have we seen self-professed "millionnaire" jump on board only to post "my wife and i don't eat Crunchie Bunchies" just so he can drop off his business card for the nth time.

however the issue may be difficult to resolve imo. Because parties dropping off their business cards - ie trolling for business - are usually neither black nor white but rather in a grey zone. I believe that by outlawing all signatures w links to business websites, CC & frugal would be eliminating a considerable number of participants, many of whom have interesting or valuable things to say.

there is always the curative or neutralizing or purging power of free speech. I have already witnessed this mechanism operating quite efficiently on this board. A minor offense will continue for just so long, and then other posters will question or rebut the offender just as simps has done here. This mechanism is slow to act, but when you think about it, it's the most democratic and powerful clean-up approach ever invented.

so i wonder if there might be an interim step that would satisfy both the true discussion posters - those with no business links - and those overtly trolling for customers and clients. Perhaps CC & frugal could post a fairly strong message stating that posters-with-links may have business propositions to offer against payment. Meanwhile the marketeers could continue adding links to their signatures.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I would still be very interested in getting a reply from site admins on this, but I have gotten so fed up with seeing the specific signature mentioned in this thread that I looked at what user options the forum admins have left available to users of this site.

Good news (kind of)! If you don't want to see crap in signatures, you can at least turn off seeing ALL signatures on posts.

Of course it would be better if we did not have to see IMO spam signatures at all, so we can see useful and valid ones, but for now this will allow me to enjoy this site more. ;)

Here is how:

1) Go to your user Control Panel. (User CP on left side of red bar near top of forum)

2)Under Setting & Options section on the left hand nav, select Edit Options.

3) On the Edit Options page, scroll down to the Thread Display Options section.

4) Deselect the Show Signatures option.

5) Scroll to the bottom of the page and press the Save button.

Now you will not see ANY signatures on posts; not ideal but you gotta do what you gotta do.

I have made the settings change myself, so if I reply to a post you make and say something that would be obvious if I could see your signature, my apologies in advance!

Thanks.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I'm still holding out hope that the IMO spam signature will be removed. Since I can't see it anymore, let me know if it ever is. I'll turn signatures back on then.

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
open letter to CC & frugal

won't you please get out here & look after the brushfire that's raging on your website.

see, for some time now you've been hosting a tout, which violates your stated rules and greatly impairs the dignity of your forum.

if i'm not mistaken, unlicensed, unaccredited non-financial non-professionals are only permitted by the ontario securities act and the securities acts of the other provinces to solicit money in connection with exchange-listed securities from accredited investors. These latter are wealthy investors who are deemed to have enough knowledge and sophistication to be able to comprehend and avoid the blandishments, lures and entrapments proffered by the shills and the touts.

rather wonderfully, members of your forum have ID'd your resident tout irregardless of whether such members happen to be accredited investors or not. Could you please do your part and restrain this individual. What could work well IMHO would be to restrict signatures with links to business websites to once a week, or once every 10 posts, whichever shall be less.

otherwise, lads, tis a bra' bonny forum

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
" What could work well IMHO would be to restrict signatures with links to business websites to once a week, or once every 10 posts, whichever shall be less."

upon reflection a fair & generous allowance to the advertisers would be a restriction of signatures with business links to once a week, or once every 10 posts, whichever first occurs.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Yes, thanks for pointing out the offending link, we do not allow the promotion of a service within signatures. The user has been contacted and there will be an update soon.
Thank you.

I'm sorry for causing what some feel has been a distraction or unimportant.

I'm not sorry for exposing what I did.

I honestly feel that, as one member so rightly put it, the 'brushfire' that I was involved in would not have taken place if quicker action had been taken. So I do hope that when you say 'and there will be an update soon' that this means soon, and not in another week when half the point I was trying to raise in the first place may have become pointless anyhow. I mean no disrespect to the admins by this statement.

Sincerely,

ssimps

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
nice to hear from you, frugal.

i do believe that occasional links to business websites within signatures are not only fine but also helpful. The aspects that i found grating with respect to the particular recent subject were the relentless & aggressive advertising, the frequency, and the fact that a number of posts were vapid & seemed designed only to plant the link.

at the other extreme, journalist jonathan chevreau is an example of somebody who links gracefully and helpfully, even though he is looking to drive traffic to his blog over at the national post. (hey if i had canwest as a boss who knows what i'd do.)

and you have many others who drop their links pleasantly and discreetly, so i do think that all of these are highly acceptable and helpful.

it will be difficult to design a rule limiting frequency of links & build this into the software, so do please take your time.

thanking you as always,
hum

·
Premium Member
2,686 Posts
First of all, I apologize for a lack of response. We were away on vacation and I deliberately chose not to get internet access. Who knew a "brushfire" would break out during the slow season? :)

FT and I had an discussion earlier on when a signature link becomes overtly commercial. We decided to let it slide the first time around since it seemed innocuous. Since it is becoming a trend now, I agree with your views that it is time to enforce compliance with site rules. FT has already contacted Rickson to modify his signature.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
First of all, I apologize for a lack of response. We were away on vacation and I deliberately chose not to get internet access. Who knew a "brushfire" would break out during the slow season? :)

FT and I had an discussion earlier on when a signature link becomes overtly commercial. We decided to let it slide the first time around since it seemed innocuous. Since it is becoming a trend now, I agree with your views that it is time to enforce compliance with site rules. FT has already contacted Rickson to modify his signature.
Thanks again; I hope you had a great vacation. I did, but spent it at home so I had time to spend on the forum; maybe too much time. I was not allowed to open my work email though. ;)

I got so caught up in all of this that to me what was only several days felt like weeks! Not good.

Anyhow, thanks again for replying and for taking care of it.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Kudos to you CC for not getting internet access. We all survived the "small spark" with nary a blister save my ego, ssimps blood pressure and of course poor Rickson's signature.

Believe me guys with a new baby in the house CC needs a break. I hope superdaddy had a great vacation.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
at the other extreme, journalist jonathan chevreau is an example of somebody who links gracefully and helpfully, even though he is looking to drive traffic to his blog over at the national post. (hey if i had canwest as a boss who knows what i'd do.)

it will be difficult to design a rule limiting frequency of links & build this into the software, so do please take your time.

thanking you as always,
I agree it is a continuum and where to draw the line is likely not easy to do.

It seems that some members use their user profile to ''advertise'' themselves or something else, and this does not go against forum rules (atleast I do not think it does).

So IMO people who want to advert. what they do or sell could / should use their user profile page for this, not their signature. This way if someone wants to see what a member is offering, they have the choice too and are not forced to by seeing their sig on every post. ;)

·
Premium Member
2,686 Posts
Kudos to you CC for not getting internet access. We all survived the "small spark" with nary a blister save my ego, ssimps blood pressure and of course poor Rickson's signature.

Believe me guys with a new baby in the house CC needs a break. I hope superdaddy had a great vacation.
We had a great vacation, thanks. We realized, though, that what we need is a vacation from the kids, not with them. :D

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
i think the time has come to delete the entire thread about the "millionnaire" from this Off Topic section and from this website.

thread serves no purpose whatsoever. It's time to move on.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts