Canadian Money Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are these normal designs? I found them really odd ...
1st and 2nd floor have holes on the ceiling, while the holes are on the floor on the 3rd floor. Opinions?

ceiling:
http://img97.imageshack.us/i/22ndfloorbedroomholeint.jpg/

floor
http://img695.imageshack.us/i/3floorholewheretheairco.jpg/

Also, there's this really ancient fire alarm thing on the side wall on the 1st and 2nd floor ... I dont think they are active, but really weird at how they are there to begin with
http://img295.imageshack.us/img295/2509/1awkwardoldfirealarm.jpg

Opinions?

·
Registered
3,197 Posts
The fire alarm device looks like a standard fire alarm system bell, such as you would find in a commercial building or the public corridors of an apartment buidling. A bit unusual to have in a single family dwelling. Is this a small apartment building or a rooming house?

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The fire alarm device looks like a standard fire alarm system bell, such as you would find in a commercial building or the public corridors of an apartment buidling. A bit unusual to have in a single family dwelling. Is this a small apartment building or a rooming house?
It's actually in a townhouse.
I dont think it's functional at all ... they definitely painted over it ... I am not sure why it's there to begin with

·
Registered
3,197 Posts
It's actually in a townhouse.
I dont think it's functional at all ... they definitely painted over it ... I am not sure why it's there to begin with
Just speculation:
1. In the early days of home fire alarm systems, there were some small systems sold that used standard fire alarm equipment. There would be a control panel somewhere in the basement for it.
2. Maybe part of a burglar system that is no longer there? Again, there would be a control panel in the basement.
3. Maybe the home was owned by someone with a hearing impairment, and they added a fire alarm bell?
4. Ask your neighbours if they have/had one in their units.

·
Banned
23 Posts
How old is the townhouse?

Are these townhouses part of a complex, and does it have connecting hallways or common areas for the tenants with fire sprinklers?

If there is a fire alarm bell there should be some method of detection in order for it to sound in case of a fire. Look for some kind of sensors/smoke detectors (not battery operated ones, they would have to be hard wired to a panel) or manual pull stations, if there is none then it is part of an old system and is useless.

As for the ducts, I think dilbert is right. They looks like an older high velocity system, could be retro fits to replace old rads.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
My house has small round vents, probably exactly the same size. The outer portion looks the same as shown. But the inner portion has more of a mesh or grid like appearance.

If you don't like the look of those ones, I am sure you can go to home depot to purchase different ones that fit into the round holes.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts