Canadian Money Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would it be possible to add some sort of chatbox for people who are online so that if there are any questions that people want to ask dynamically could ask the people there online? I think that would encourage people to just come and talk about finance and would become more of a social atmosphere.

Also, is there a way to mark posts as read so that as we click on new posts, only new posts we want to read will show up?

Thanks,
Dauphin :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
For what it is worth I agree with FH and FT. People will say things in a chat that they would never post. I was part of some really great chat rooms where things got out of control fast and now I just don't go to them anymore. And to exacerbate things we are talking about money here which is always a high emotion topic!!

Keep things the way they are.

BA

·
Registered
120 Posts
I agree as well that adding a chat room might change things. That being said, it might be interesting to have people come at specific times for specific chats (e.g. Thursdays at 8 EST is real estate chat for 1.5 hours). If the room got out of control, it could only be opened for the specific talks (or shut down completely if we went TOTALLY wild).

It's definitely a different style of discussion when people can type messages back and forth and get immediate responses. I think it would be interesting...

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
I agree as well that adding a chat room might change things. That being said, it might be interesting to have people come at specific times for specific chats (e.g. Thursdays at 8 EST is real estate chat for 1.5 hours). If the room got out of control, it could only be opened for the specific talks (or shut down completely if we went TOTALLY wild).

It's definitely a different style of discussion when people can type messages back and forth and get immediate responses. I think it would be interesting...
Having the occasional time slot might be neat although I'm not sure if CC and FT are up for the time commitment thing...

·
Registered
305 Posts
I would prefer to stay with the current forum format - there are are few reasons that jump to mind.

Live chat might offer value to some people when they are able to get more dynamic feedback/advice. However, in a chat scenario, it is impossible to monitor the quality of the advice that is received, and fool's advice might given and taken that could lead to real financial consequences in real life. In a forum scenario, everyone can speak their mind, but if something is erroneous, off-base, or even dangerous, there are plenty of learned folk reading who can jump in and correct the record.

The second benefit to the forum format is the fact that over time, it becomes a library of knowledge and learned debate that is recorded for future readers. This is the real value of this forum: the cultivation of a body of knowledge that is enjoyed by both current readers, and future readers. This serves the public interest, and the interests of members.

It's also occurred to me that live chat would not foster fully developed opinions to come out. I know all of my thoughts don't happen instantaneously, with full nuance, and I enjoy having the time to collect my thoughts before posting. The quality of discussion in chat would be lesser.

And a public forum forces some degree of respect for other readers and members. Things can be said in live chat that would not otherwise be said on a forum.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts