Canadian Money Forum banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Rightly or wrongly that is not the way the world works and I really think some people are shooting themselves in the foot taking cerb. You can already see a backlash forming against certain groups (restaurant workers and low income) taking cerb in the media. Who are you going to hire someone who has shown a good worth ethic and worked in the summer or took cerb? Still it doesn't surprise me as I read somewhere that lower income people are focused on survival, rhings like feeding themselves and paying rent and are not focused on the long term. (Sorry I can't remember the source.)
That's exactly what it's meant for - survival. The restaurant workers you're criticizing for taking CERB can't find work because there is no work. Can they find other non-food service jobs? Sure, but now they're competing with thousands of others unemployed, and they're applying for those positions with limited experience (the outlook is grim). Maybe the dining industry will start to open up more in the upcoming weeks, but as far as I know restaurants haven't been seating guests for the past few months. In their case maybe feeding their kids and having a roof over their head beats work ethic.

·
Registered
424 Posts
There have been numerous reports on the news that people aren't talking jobs that pay less than cerb. Maybe we don't know the whole story.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Yeh! Imagine that. We are paying poor people too much money. God Forbid.
Poor People need extra money just to deal with the stress.
Rich Folks can all head off to the cottage.

I figure that if your business plan does not afford a 20 dollar per hour wage, then you have a flawed business plan.
You should not be allowed to run/own a business without a "20 dollar Living Wage".
If your not worth minimum wage then it would be foolish for an employer to hire you. Since the government will not let you work for an employer you need to start your own business so you can work below minimum wage

21 - 23 of 23 Posts