Canadian Money Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
940 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
If anyone else on the forum is currently receiving the CERB like myself. I have a question that I can't seem to find online. In the near future I will be getting called back to work, not sure of the exact date. My next day to apply for the CERB is next Tuesday. So if I go ahead and apply and receive the payment by end of next week does this mean I cannot return to work if called to return until 4 weeks is up. Basically you can't work and receive CERB the same time so I am looking to see if the payment covers 4 weeks going back or going forward. Not sure if this makes sense.

·
Registered
471 Posts
I am not receiving CERB. However, you can earn up to $1,000 in a four week period and still be eligible to keep CERB.
So, by initially limiting your hours upon your return to work, or by returning to work two or three weeks into the four-week period you might remain fully eligible.

When submitting subsequent claims, you cannot have earned more than $1,000 in employment and/or self-employment income for the entire four-week benefit period of your new claim.
Questions and answers - Canada.ca

·
Registered
3,935 Posts
re CERB, i have a question:
we know a retired couple, let's just say they are VERY well-off. she works part-time a few hours a week in retail...more or less just for "something to fo". her work has been cut way back due to the pandemic. she mentioned she's getting $2000?/month CERB payments.
hardly seems fair, or that she really needs it -but i guess thats the way the system works?

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
re CERB, i have a question:
we know a retired couple, let's just say they are VERY well-off. she works part-time a few hours a week in retail...more or less just for "something to fo". her work has been cut way back due to the pandemic. she mentioned she's getting $2000?/month CERB payments.
hardly seems fair, or that she really needs it -but i guess thats the way the system works?
Sure it's not fair, but that's what we get when we vote for big government.

As far as indiscriminate spending or corrupt use of funds to the detriment of society goes, though, CERB for wealthy Canadians is low on my list of complaints. At least it's actual money going to actual people who are actual Canadians, unlike most government spending.

·
Registered
940 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the feed back, I sent an email to my employer and asked them to let me know a date as soon as they can so that way I will not apply for the next payment, I only want to get one or the other.

·
Registered
940 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well that last post didn't last long, my boss contacted me today and said evern though they are opening back up starting this Sunday they have not decided not to bring me back yet. They have not date or retun available at this time. So I will carry on with CERB for now, darn I was looking forward to getting back.

·
Registered
30 Posts
The message says that the CERB payment is from Date 1 to Date 2, for example, June 7 to July 7. So, I guess that means that during that time you have to get less than $1,000 work revenue.

So, you could work part-time a few hours a week. Whether you think you are rich or not is some opinion. After all, there are some countries out there that have an average wage of $1/hour or $2/hour.

If you get more than $1,000 revenue / month, that is against the rules. I don't know how it is proven what your revenue actually was, but theoretically someone can "think that your revenue probably was some amount such as..."

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Well that last post didn't last long, my boss contacted me today and said evern though they are opening back up starting this Sunday they have not decided not to bring me back yet. They have not date or retun available at this time. So I will carry on with CERB for now, darn I was looking forward to getting back.
Good for you that you want to work.

I heard a radio interview yesterday with a restaurateur from Courtenay. She has called her staff back. Most won't come back for more than a limited number of hours per week because they love sucking up CERB. So this employer has to go looking for replacement workers. People like that should be reported to government and jailed. Instead, they'll be given more money.

·
Registered
59 Posts

I heard a radio interview yesterday with a restaurateur from Courtenay. She has called her staff back. Most won't come back for more than a limited number of hours per week because they love sucking up CERB. So this employer has to go looking for replacement workers. People like that should be reported to government and jailed. Instead, they'll be given more money.
That's the underlying problem here, as long as CERB pays out some people actually make more money working less hours than they're offered. This is in addition to the people who collect CERB for wealth not necessity. It's a pretty flawed system, I can only imagine how tough the audits are going to be at the end...

·
Registered
432 Posts
From what I have witnessed during my lifetime is that if the Ordinary Joe does not grab as much money as they can from government, the remainder of available funds will be siphoned off by the corporate welfare bums.

·
Registered
6,749 Posts
My oldest granddaughter just graduated as an engineer and is receiving CERB. If she gets an engineering job, she will be happy. Meanwhile she is working part time at HD...

·
Registered
59 Posts
My oldest granddaughter just graduated as an engineer and is receiving CERB. If she gets an engineering job, she will be happy. Meanwhile she is working part time at HD...
That's the game right now, nothing wrong with that. Unemployment won't be down forever (unless we start seeing UBI)

·
Registered
2,974 Posts

JT did say that if you were offered work but didn't go back, you don't qualify. The problem is there is very little way to enforce. I heard they are just figuring out how to capture employers reporting this. My friend was temporarily laid off in April. She got called back at the beginning of May. Some how she received $6500 in this time, and the money is still coming. She has had to call 4 times before she could get any sort of answer what to do. They told her to just pay back what she thinks and it will work out later when she gets audited. Its crazy the amount of effort she has to go through to be honest and give the money back. CERB has no idea what to do.

I have another friend that is a small business owner, and could get her employees back the same way you mentioned. She tried to call to report, CERB has no idea what to do with the information. She provided names, SINS, dates, and hours, nothing. She told them that she was reporting them, and to either resign or come in. A few came in.

·
Registered
12,540 Posts
The CERB has saved the economy. Spending before the CERB was down 25% and after it was up 16%.

Economists are surprised by the positive results of increased spending, GDP and government revenue.

The success of the CERB may make a UBI worthy of further study.

·
Registered
424 Posts
The smart ones are job hunting now because those who wait until september may find there are no jobs for them and they'll have to go on EI which pays lower. Still i'm not bashing all cerb users as some have a legitimate need.

·
Registered
432 Posts
The smart ones are job hunting now because those who wait until september may find there are no jobs for them and they'll have to go on EI which pays lower.
Yeh! Imagine that. We are paying poor people too much money. God Forbid.
Poor People need extra money just to deal with the stress.
Rich Folks can all head off to the cottage.

I figure that if your business plan does not afford a 20 dollar per hour wage, then you have a flawed business plan.
You should not be allowed to run/own a business without a "20 dollar Living Wage".

·
Registered
424 Posts
I'm curious about something. If someone abandoned their job to take cerb couldn't you say they quit in which case they wouldn't get unemployment?

·
Registered
424 Posts
Yeh! Imagine that. We are paying poor people too much money. God Forbid.
Poor People need extra money just to deal with the stress.
Rich Folks can all head off to the cottage.

I figure that if your business plan does not afford a 20 dollar per hour wage, then you have a flawed business plan.
You should not be allowed to run/own a business without a "20 dollar Living Wage".
Rightly or wrongly that is not the way the world works and I really think some people are shooting themselves in the foot taking cerb. You can already see a backlash forming against certain groups (restaurant workers and low income) taking cerb in the media. Who are you going to hire someone who has shown a good worth ethic and worked in the summer or took cerb? Still it doesn't surprise me as I read somewhere that lower income people are focused on survival, rhings like feeding themselves and paying rent and are not focused on the long term. (Sorry I can't remember the source.)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts