Canadian Money Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Almost every group seems to be eligible for something. I am curious in my scenario.

Fortunately, I have a full time job that hasn't been reduced, so my salary is still the same. We also have an IT company as a service provider which I do consulting on. I teach at the college through and have recently (last November) was require to be on payroll as a casual employee. (Stupid reasons that was their requirement). I pay cpp, ei, and even union dues through this contract. I usually teach every 2-3 months. Since COVID, my last 2 classes have been cancelled, and my next one I normally have is cancelled too. This would be well over $10K but I am consider a 'casual' position. My other consulting through my company is very sporadic based on my availability, so haven't had any contracts lined up anyways.

My questions is would I have been eligible for the CERB given that I have my regular salary. It's just my secondary one that is cut. My spouse is in a similar position except all his extra contracts a consultant are currently cut to almost zero.

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
You would not be, because the criteria is this:
If you are applying for the first time: You have stopped or will stop working, or you are working reduced hours due to COVID-19, and you don’t expect to earn over $1,000 in employment or self-employment income for at least 14 days in a row during the 4-week period.

Because you are still making over 1k from your normal job you wouldn't be eligible.

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
@Spudd Thanks for the information I forgot about $1000 part. That makes sense. Definitely not complaining. Just wanted to confirm since JT seems to be giving money away to groups that don't really need it. I will just continue paying for the benefits of other then.

·
Registered
670 Posts
My son keep asking if he’s eligible. He accepted a FT job this summer to be a lifeguard. That looks to be in Jeopardy. He’s 16...this is his first job.

No lifeguard is needed if the bathers are limited to 10......which I can totally see being Enforced for social distancing. He’s already planning to convince them he can be the social distancing guard and cleaning crew.......if they do in fact limit bathers to 10.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
My son keep asking if he’s eligible. He accepted a FT job this summer to be a lifeguard. That looks to be in Jeopardy. He’s 16...this is his first job.

No lifeguard is needed if the bathers are limited to 10......which I can totally see being Enforced for social distancing. He’s already planning to convince them he can be the social distancing guard and cleaning crew.......if they do in fact limit bathers to 10.
In what province? There have now been announcements made in Ontario about benefits for students that I believe cover such situations as your son's.

What I can't seem to get my head around is why students need to be helped financially at all. I get it, that they may lose out on a summer job but it isn't as if they have to support themselves when they are 16. That's their parent's job isn't it?

·
Registered
670 Posts
In what province? There have now been announcements made in Ontario about benefits for students that I believe cover such situations as your son's.

What I can't seem to get my head around is why students need to be helped financially at all. I get it, that they may lose out on a summer job but it isn't as if they have to support themselves when they are 16. That's their parent's job isn't it?

we’re in Ontario. I don’t disagree. My son and our family doesn’t need the money. However, many of his classmates have been working for 2 or 3 years already in retail, restaurants and a variety of seasonal jobs (marinas, hardware stores, golf, beaches). There are tens of thousands of families that could use the assistance of teenagers working. Food costs inevitably go up with teenagers.....especially teens who are at home, and not at school. I estimate my shopping bill has gone up by $200 a month with two teens at home.

we could also ask.....why does any teen Seek employment? When does parental support end? 18? 21? When they move out?

I applaud my son for asking......at least it opens a discussion on what’s going on and what governments are doing......whether “for ” or “against“ the actions taken.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts